Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are already lots of great ideas on this site utilizing MOLLE bags for removable gear storage. These MOLLE bags (MOdular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment) can be purchased at most neighborhood army surplus stores in many, many different configurations and colors.

I've been testing my MOLLE bag mounting idea since last November on my FJ. I am basically using what are called "Twist Fastener Studs". They are also called "Curtain Fasteners" and "Turn Buttons" by some vendors. These are commonly used on boat windshields to secure canvas tops. Twist fasteners come in few different backing configurations. I used the screw stud type to mount to the FJ interior and mounted the grommets to the MOLLE bags.

These twist studs and grommets are kind of expensive if you don't shop around a little. The best price I have found so far has been at canvasusa.com. They call them curtain fasteners, eyelets and washers. You can get a pack of 5 stud fasteners for $6.35 and a pack of 25 eyelets with washers for $18.75.

I have one large 36" long, 600 denier nylon padded gun case bag mounted to my back door with 8 studs. I used 6 studs evenly spaced along the top to carry the bulk of the load and 2 along the bottom to take some load and secure the bag from shifting. I also have a smaller first aide pack mounted with only 2 studs.

I’m sure that some folks are concerned that the plastic interior panels will fail or crack where the studs are mounted. As long as the load is distributed over several studs, this idea works fine. I don’t carry bricks in my large bag, but I do have a substantial amount of gear in it. The 600 denier nylon material is very strong as well.

To mount the grommets (eyelets) to your MOLLE bags you will need a sharp X-Acto knife with a fine point blade and a lighter. The X-Acto knife will be used to poke 4 small slits for the grommet prongs to pass through and then used again to trim out the grommet center hole. The lighter will be used to melt the nylon strings after trimming out the grommet center hole. Don’t cut out the grommet center hole until after you have the grommet backing washer in place and the tabs bent over. This is actually very easy to do, just don’t stab yourself with the X-Acto. If your thinking of mounting the grommets in the bags nylon straps, keep in mind that the straps can easily be trimmed to the desired length with scissors then burn the fresh cut ends to keep them from fraying.

To mount the twist studs, simply drill a very small pilot hole for each stud. Hand tighten the studs to the correct orientation to match the bag grommets. Don’t get aggressive and over tighten.

I am also using these twist studs to mount bags over the rear side shelves as well. Be creative, I’m sure that you can find lots of other places in the FJ to utilize this MOLLE bag mounting technique.

Post up some pictures if you find some good mounting spots.

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
Pretty cool, but what is going on here?
Some kind of super cool top-secret mod?

A.W.D.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts

A.W.D.
I believe in another thread he installed a way to unlock the rear door from the inside.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I really like that bag setup, let us know how they hold up (doors) after you've used this a while. Looks great!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice...how much was the total setup on your rear door...bags and snaps?
The 36" bag came with the 3 removable side pouches for $50. The smaller bag is my first-aide bag. I think that I paid about $15 for it. I have spent about $35 for total of 10 twist studs and grommets.

All together about $100.

I posted a picture showing West Marine twist studs and grommets. West Marine wants almost $10 for only 2 twist studs. That's too much, shop for these on-line.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

A.W.D.
The red topped knob is to open the rear door from the inside.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/43648-open-rear-door-inside-pics-follow-4.html

The black rocker switch is for unlatching the rear window from the inside.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/17443-rear-window-switch-revisited.html

Great forum for mods, Huh! :cheers:

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
There are already lots of great ideas on this site utilizing MOLLE bags for removable gear storage. These MOLLE bags (MOdular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment) can be purchased at most neighborhood army surplus stores in many, many different configurations and colors.

I've been testing my MOLLE bag mounting idea since last November on my FJ. I am basically using what are called "Twist Fastener Studs". They are also called "Curtain Fasteners" and "Turn Buttons" by some vendors. These are commonly used on boat windshields to secure canvas tops. Twist fasteners come in few different backing configurations. I used the screw stud type to mount to the FJ interior and mounted the grommets to the MOLLE bags.

These twist studs and grommets are kind of expensive if you don't shop around a little. The best price I have found so far has been at canvasusa.com. They call them curtain fasteners, eyelets and washers. You can get a pack of 5 stud fasteners for $6.35 and a pack of 25 eyelets with washers for $18.75.

I have one large 36" long, 600 denier nylon padded gun case bag mounted to my back door with 8 studs. I used 6 studs evenly spaced along the top to carry the bulk of the load and 2 along the bottom to take some load and secure the bag from shifting. I also have a smaller first aide pack mounted with only 2 studs.

I’m sure that some folks are concerned that the plastic interior panels will fail or crack where the studs are mounted. As long as the load is distributed over several studs, this idea works fine. I don’t carry bricks in my large bag, but I do have a substantial amount of gear in it. The 600 denier nylon material is very strong as well.

To mount the grommets (eyelets) to your MOLLE bags you will need a sharp X-Acto knife with a fine point blade and a lighter. The X-Acto knife will be used to poke 4 small slits for the grommet prongs to pass through and then used again to trim out the grommet center hole. The lighter will be used to melt the nylon strings after trimming out the grommet center hole. Don’t cut out the grommet center hole until after you have the grommet backing washer in place and the tabs bent over. This is actually very easy to do, just don’t stab yourself with the X-Acto. If your thinking of mounting the grommets in the bags nylon straps, keep in mind that the straps can easily be trimmed to the desired length with scissors then burn the fresh cut ends to keep them from fraying.

To mount the twist studs, simply drill a very small pilot hole for each stud. Hand tighten the studs to the correct orientation to match the bag grommets. Don’t get aggressive and over tighten.

I am also using these twist studs to mount bags over the rear side shelves as well. Be creative, I’m sure that you can find lots of other places in the FJ to utilize this MOLLE bag mounting technique.

Post up some pictures if you find some good mounting spots.
I love the idea.....what is the weight capacity of the hook and what exactly are they attaced to. Seems the thread is really short.
Fill me in and thanks! :bandit:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Looks like a good idea, definitely a cheaper alternative than other mounting systems!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love the idea.....what is the weight capacity of the hook and what exactly are they attaced to. Seems the thread is really short.
Fill me in and thanks! :bandit:
I don't know what the weight capacity is per fastener. The actual load is distributed across a few of them on the upper part of the larger bag. There are also a few along the bottom that keep the load from swinging and sliding. The larger bag has 8 ratchet straps, lots of bungee cords, machete, medium size axe, two pair of gloves, walkie-talkies, winch joystick, and a bunch of miscellaneous smaller items. I guess I could take the bag off and weigh it.

The actual studs are screwed straight into the plastic panel after drilling a small pilot hole. After several months of use and abuse, there are no signs of stress or cracking in the plastic. You could remove the panel and put a small block of wood behind each stud to spread the load. Personally I don't see the need, mine are holding up just fine like they are.

Th idea is simple and functional and you can use these to hang your gear in many other places in the FJ.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can you provide a link to website to get more info?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The original post has info for the twist studs. The MOLLE bags come in all shapes and sizes and can be found at most army surplus stores or you can just do a "MOLLE" web search.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
that's a very clean and affordable storage system you have there,thumbs up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just installed this mod....it looks good, easy to install and best of all, cost alot less then the mpac and looks really good....Only thing I'm going to do later is add more twist...doesn't seem like it will break the plastic, but more can't hurt...

space

1 - 18 of 18 Posts