Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know of a Mombasa rooftop tent dealer in the area? I'd go anywhere along the front range if necessary.

**Update**: I heard from the manufacturer and they don't have anyone here. :(

I'm kind of surprised no one really seems to have a selection of RTTs around here. Everything online comes with a pretty hefty shipping price tag.

Thanks for your help Athena!

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I found that one too, but unfortunately it's a link to a craigslist posting from 2006. :(

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I would try Slee Offroad, maybe even High Country 4x4... even though they may not be a dealer, they can still get one I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should also say that I've emailed the manufacturer (at least who I think is the manufacturer) for information on a dealer here, but haven't heard anything back.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would try Slee Offroad, maybe even High Country 4x4... even though they may not be a dealer, they can still get one I'm sure.
Slee's a good idea - I'll check with them and see what they have.

I called High Country earlier, but they didn't carry them.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Yeah I'm afraid you may have to pay the "middle man" to get it. You can get anything you want so long as you can pay for it.

Try 4wheelparts... as much as I hate them, they maybe able to get a cheaper price.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try 4wheelparts... as much as I hate them, they maybe able to get a cheaper price.
You and me both! Although they are cheap on a lot of things...I'll just never let them touch one of my vehicles again! :flame:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
yeah, I think a lot of us could say that :lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Toytec Lifts can get ARB. They might be able to drop ship or you could pick it up at there shop.

PS. Nice trailer. I wanted that one. Just didn't have the money.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Toytec Lifts can get ARB. They might be able to drop ship or you could pick it up at there shop.

PS. Nice trailer. I wanted that one. Just didn't have the money.
Thanks! I kind of blew the budget on the trailer. I just saw it on Saturday and figured I better get it before it disappears then Offroad94 told me he's seen it on there for about a month. I think I got a decent price on it but might have haggled a bit more if I'd known how long it was for sale. :boohoo:

Anyhow, I'm happy with it but it's really like a whole new vehicle to mod. :ack:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I find trailers make more sense if it's rigged for rugged terrain. I've seen rooftop tents freak people out going on off camber stuff....

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I'm glad I already knew you were going to put this thing on your trailer / not on your FJC.

Having it on the primary vehicle is a really neat idea for long expedition-style trips where you're just stopping for the night, one night at a time, and heading down the next portion of the trek the next day, but if you're staying some place for an extended period, it's kinda goofy to have to pack the thing away every day to go on trail runs, or whatever.

I saw someone with a setup kinda like what you're going to do at the Summit a couple years back, and it was really cool....plop it down, set up camp, and get out on the trail. :cheers:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
....I forgot to mention, forum member Granite One has a roof top tent. I'm not sure who it's from, but you may want to contact him. He has connections in the 'outdoors' world, and may be able to help locate something.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
plop it down, set up camp, and get out on the trail. :cheers:
That was my thought. :)

I'm not sure I would've been interested in a rooftop tent without the trailer. More because it wouldn't fit into the garage, but good point on the high center of gravity, Athena.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Be happy to sell and ship one to ya. Take a look and take $100 off the tent of your choice. :bigthumb:
Thanks Wilson! I'll send you a PM :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I ve got an Eezi Awn roof top tent. I bought it before a long trip to Cali and Overland Expo. I think I have some where around 17 nights in it so far. Great investment. The Eezi Awn tent is top notch when it comes to quality.

I am not knocking the Mombasa or Camping Laps products as I don't have any experience with them. After a little research and talking with a bunch of core users they all pointed me to the Eezi Awn tent.

As far as putting it on your rig and camping along with wheeling. It is not a problem. I can have my tent opened in under 10 mins and closed in less than 15 mins. For off camber wheeling you would want a beefed up suspension to help keep the swing weight down. I got after it on my recent desert trip and it was hardly noticeable.

Covered parking.... not going to happen with a lifted rig and RTT.

Good luck either way as they both have upsides and down.

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the review Granite One. Do you know if Slee (or anyone else) is carrying those locally? I checked out their site but couldn't find any tents there.

At this point I'm leaning heavily toward the Mombasa due mostly to price and a few reviews I've read. It would be nice to actually see a couple different brands in person to get a better idea of quality though. Again, I'm surprised there aren't more dealers around here. :cowfrown:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the review Granite One. Do you know if Slee (or anyone else) is carrying those locally? I checked out their site but couldn't find any tents there.

At this point I'm leaning heavily toward the Mombasa due mostly to price and a few reviews I've read. It would be nice to actually see a couple different brands in person to get a better idea of quality though. Again, I'm surprised there aren't more dealers around here. :cowfrown:
You are welcome to come over Saturday am and check out my set up. I am leaving on a trip this Sunday for week.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts