Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have a Monsta story to tell. I covered the entire exterior (except unpainted mouldings/covers, powdercoated stuff) and am very pleased with the results. I wanted to post this as I believe my experience might help someone here. Let me start by saying that I have used a similar product - Custom Coat Bedliner (similar to U-POL) which I sprayed - to coat an old weathered wood deck. I wanted to get some experience working with an epoxy bedliner before doing the FJ exterior. I later learned about Monstaliner and decided to use it for my FJ project. I purchased the 2 gallon kit of black & one single black gallon. I am supposed to use 1 gallon for each coat - but I got a 3rd just in case. Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner outperforms Herculiner Bed Liner, Duplicolor and Rustoleum Road Warrior

I began a week earlier by removing all the moulding - there is a lot of moulding - and door knobs, mirrors, washer nozzels, etc. - wanted to make sure the bedliner wrapped inside/underneath these items. I scuffed the exterior and rear bumper corners, mirrors, etc. The weather in Northern Virginia was lining up for a Sunday/Monday install. I started around 11am on Sunday (11/23) using a roller like this one: Linzer Better 9 in. Adhesive and Epoxy Roller-RC118-9 at The Home Depot and only used about ½ a gallon. I was looking for a smooth finish and it went on very thin but noticeably uneven - should have used the blue rollers. That evening, I started the 2nd coat on the roof with the 4” foam rollers. Well, I couldn’t see in the dark - even with many many lights from different angles (may have been a bit blinding). So, I stopped after the roof. Next morning (Monday), I started the 2nd coat with the 2nd gallon mixed (I redid the roof). The blue foam rollers that come in the kit put it on much thicker but about an hour in, the roller started to crumble and peel away: yikes! Now, I am spending way too much time picking out foam and my stuff is drying. I finish with a bit of a messy application. I am out of blue rollers and no time/place to get more. I went to Home Depot and purchased a few of these: Linzer Better 9 in. x 3/8 in. Loop Texture Roller Cover-RC119 at The Home Depot . These are the bomb! Just as good as the blue rollers - with no peel. It is difficult to load them - I poured the material directly on them while in the tray - and just enough to load them. The next morning, I sand and scrap all the foam and the areas I tried to “fix” while wet the day before. BTW - I think it is best to put it on evenly thick and let it sit - it is very forgiving - just let it dry - don’t be anal. I sweep and MEK wipe then am ready. So, I decided to not mix the whole gallon - instead I mixed 16 oz in a jar (14/2 ratio) and began. Finished 1 fender and 1 rear (suicide) door. Then immediately went to another 16 oz mix in a new jar - finished some more sections. For the 3rd and 4th pint mixes, I changed out my tray and the roller - very important as the material in the roller starts to harden and lump up as well as the material from the tray starts to allow lumps into the roller which will wind up in your “paint job”. Overall, I am very pleased with the result. I am a Monsta Fan. I will post pictures if someone wants - still putting her back together.

My neighbor told me that he understood the reason for the ML application was utility, but it turned out really nice. Thank you to all who have helped me with my FJ.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. Can't wait to see the final result. I want to linex myself one day, but I am 100% sure I do not have the balls to do it myself.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Love it!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Looks great, would like to see more & maybe give this a shot in the spring of 2015. I like the fact that it's a "do it yourself'er" project.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Man that looks nice. When my paint is no longer salvageable from all the narrow trail pin striping I would like to bedline my FJ in a cement color bedliner. This stuff just might fit the bill for that instead of having it professionally done. The texture looks great.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was the only photo I had...here are 2 more I just took. I will post more once I complete the reassembly. Weather is rough for snapping plastic back together.

I decided to do the bedliner because the pinstriping was really bad - plus I had a big dent at the top of the passenger suicide door from hitting a curved tree after slipping off a rock. Had a body guy prep/fill/prime it for me. The quotes I received were from $4,000 to $6,000 to have a shop do it - and they wouldn't remove the moulding...just tape/cover.

I am thinking of coating the blackout tape around the windows. Does anyone know what kind of material that is? I am guessing some type of plastic?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I think that the black around the window trim is some type of "wrap" material that can be removed. It should be body color underneath.

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
I am thinking of coating the blackout tape around the windows. Does anyone know what kind of material that is? I am guessing some type of plastic?
Vinyl tape

Replacing it is time consuming and expensive. You have to install it in a order or you have bad tape joints.
You can remove it and have the original color as has been said.

Rig looks good. Great job.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So it sounds like I will scuff it and coat it...and if it doesnt work out, I'll remove the coated tape and prep/coat the original surface.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 27 Posts