Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purcahsed my NSSE FJ about a month ago. It came with the Steelies. Within 4 weeks I went out to my FJ one morning and the front driver's side tire was dead flat. Odd... Swapped it out with the spare and gave it a good overlook. No holes, punctures, or obstructions. My guess is a bad bead? Then about 3 weeks later I noticed the back passenger side tire was low... 10PSI! WTF is up with this? Anyone else have issues with stock steelies? I am hoping the dealership won't give me issues fixing the problem. This is BS. :boohoo:

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
My corvette has the same problem rear right and its the rim. I lose about 2 psi every week so I live with it. See if toyota will replace them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is someone messing with you? Any bbs in the valve stem covers? ;)
lol, I wish that was the case. At least I would have an answer. Of course then I would be forced to introduce said party to my 115lb American Bulldog and 140lb Cane Corso ;)

My corvette has the same problem rear right and its the rim. I lose about 2 psi every week so I live with it. See if toyota will replace them.
I am going to take it into dealership but have a feeling thery are going to give me the run around about "tires" not being covered on the bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
lol, I wish that was the case. At least I would have an answer. Of course then I would be forced to introduce said party to my 115lb American Bulldog and 140lb Cane Corso

Have you checked for teeth marks from the Bulldog and the Corso. They have been known to eat tires.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
lol, I wish that was the case. At least I would have an answer. Of course then I would be forced to introduce said party to my 115lb American Bulldog and 140lb Cane Corso ;)

I am going to take it into dealership but have a feeling thery are going to give me the run around about "tires" not being covered on the bumper to bumper warranty.
Tires have there own warranty and its probably not the tires its more than likely the rims

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tires have there own warranty and its probably not the tires its more than likely the rims
I just hope they chalk it up to a factory defect and fix it. It's a lackluster feeling having to use the OEM Jack before you hit 1k miles. :disgust:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: come to find out all 5 of my valve stems were loose. Each one took 2 full turns without any effort. Still something wrong with one of the wheels though. I think the TPMS isn't seated right. I did a soap test, and a 1/3 full bucket test... no bubbles, yet it will lose 5lbs of pressure a day sitting on the rear door... meh

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Call me 'old school' but I would think that if you submerged a fully inflated tire in a water filled container it has to show bubbles if air is actually leaking out, particularly at the rate you specified.

Just a thought, but have you taken it to a tire dealer and had them submerge it?

Good Luck,

Jerry :cheers:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Call me 'old school' but I would think that if you submerged a fully inflated tire in a water filled container it has to show bubbles if air is actually leaking out, particularly at the rate you specified.

Just a thought, but have you taken it to a tire dealer and had them submerge it?

Good Luck,

Jerry :cheers:
True. I wasn't able to fully submege. Was only able to do a 1/3 each time so may have missed it. What blew my mind was how loose the Valve Stems were. Hell, I've gone as far as replacing the stems and still leaks. I just need time to take it to a dealer and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
It's your choice, but personally I'd have a tire shop do it - and then if it's a leaky valve etc take it and a svc note from the tire shop to your dealer and then let them deal with the fix under warranty. (And mentioning the 'loose' valve stems might not be a bad idea)

Just a suggestion, good luck getting it resolved to your satisfaction.

Jerry:cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts