Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I've been more of a lurker than usual lately due to moving out to Montrose from NE and starting a new job here. My parents will be coming up in early March to visit, and would like to know if there's any trails around here that will be open. Obviously the Ouray-area stuff is going to be closed until summer, but is there any trails suitable for an FJ and ZR2 that aren't too far from here that are open this time of year?
Also, what books/maps do you all recommend for around here?
TIA
DubstepPear

Reactions: FJX2000 and Iconic_

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
The only trails I know of in the Montrose area are exceedingly challenging. It's pretty much all buggy stuff. I've been told by someone that's done most of the trails there that I'd definitely be looking at body damage to my FJ if I were to go there (and my FJ is seriously modified....SAS'd, etc.). The FJ Summit folks had somebody from Montrose take a group out there one year not realizing how difficult the trails are. They didn't make it very far on the trail they were attempting and turned around.

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,208 Posts
I know there is the Rim Rocker Trail that goes from Montrose to Moab. You wouldn't have to run the whole thing but I ran a portion of it for the 2019 FJ Summit. It is pretty much mostly a collection of dirt roads so nothing too technically challenging.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Just take them over US 550 from Ouray to Silverton. That's a real attention getter in the winter.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
FunTreks Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4 Wheel Drive Trails, FunTreks Guide to Northern Colorado Backroads & 4 Wheel Drive Trails. In addition the Colorado Atlas & Gazeeteer...literally shows every forest service road in Colorado and there are tens of thousands of them to explore. Might also look at the National Forest Service MVUMs (e.g. motor vehicle use maps). In addition, might be worth looking at and downloading COTREX to your phone.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There is a Ranger station in Montrose. The rangers have lots of maps free and paid, information and advice. We found them super helpful and much appreciated thir input. We were solo so we asked for an easy trail. there was a trail of of 50 heading back toward gunnison. maybe 10 to 15 miles outside of town. Very easy but very scenic. It does go up a mountain so dont know how it is in winter. There is a very challenging spur one can take but otherwise easy. Hwy 50 is beautiful by itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts