Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does the FJ only have one 12v port.

Why isn't there at least one in the back like most other SUV's the 115v is nice but it's only useful once in awhile.

There should be at least two in the front, with cellphones and iPods and other dower devices these days. We need more power without having to resort to ugly plug-in splitters.

·
Registered
779 Posts
YES YES AND YES!!! If you have 2 people in the car and both head dead cells then you need MORE PLUGS... New cars have 2 if not more... our excursion has 5!!!

·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a sticky in the electrical section of the forum on adding more 12v outlets. Pictures and arrows included :bigthumb:
I've added 3 additional outlets 1 up front and 2 in the rear, but a lot of people don't want to take the time to add something that should have been there.

The point is that Toyota for the Demographic they were targeting should have had more then just one 12v outlet.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I defintely want more than 1 outlet in the FJ, it's extremely hard to power a lot of electronics with just 1 dc outlet, especially when you have power things like a CB radio, a ham, iPod charger, cell phone charger, ECT. Would want a higher wattage for the rear AC outlet.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
365 Posts
How about just the option to keep the one they installed "hot" all the time? It would take a LONG time to run a 12V battery down while charging a phone... I'm thinking about when I'm on a little trip away from home, leaving the phone in the charger at night...

·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use the Marinco Sealink receptacles. I get mine online at amazon or if I need it now at West Marine.

For power I like using marine grade items.

Plus any money I don't give to Rat Shack makes me happy.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Does any body have a part number for the one installed up front I would like to add two more.

I want to make sure they all have the same little cover.
Just got to radio shack and pick up that add a 12volt thing. Buy a 1 1/8" drill bit and put it where ever you want. There are like 5 threads on this and a sticky or two.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Absolutely agree, there should be many more 12v ports spread around the vehicle, Toyota should realize that it's totally normal for true hardcore wheelers to need power for quite a bit of electrical equipment essential to survival in the wild:

• GPS system
  • MP3 player
  • Computer to run Google Earth tracks
  • Recharger for cell phone
  • Recharger for camera
  • Recharger for camcorder
  • Recharger for rechargeable camping lanterns
  • Air compressor for tires as well as inflatable mattress and other such items...
  • Recharger for walkie talkies
  • Mini-fridge for the survival beer keg
  • Camping blender for the crucial frozen margaritas and daiquiris
  • Handmixer to mix the dough for bannock on a stick
  • Meat dryer to make pemmican, no excuse to waste road-kill
  • Other personal items

I am at least guilty of the first 8, who knows where it's gonna end.

·
Registered
499 Posts
here's my plan, one more upfront. then two on the bottom of that center console thing for passenger area, then one more in the rear next to that other power outlet.

please and thank you toyota :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think the FJC is more like a blank canvas. Its barren and lacking just for those people who want to DYI. Ever since my snorkel went in, I honestly don't have a qualm at putting a 1 1/8" hole in my center console for this that and whatever. I plan to add a few more 12vdc points but I recommend that before someone puts in 5 12vdc outlets, think about the 12 fuse block addition first. It'll save time and headaches, plus you'll learn more than you'll ever imagine about your FJC's electrical system. LandCruiserSteve has some excellent sticky's on this.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The FJ is definitely short on the 12v outlets, they should at least have one more in front and at least one more in the back!!!:bandit:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Great thread. I completly agree. This is somthing that should have been a no brainer. I added a 3 outlet plu in the front, and all 4 are curently being used. When i finally get around to putting my CB in i'll be putting in 2 more 12V outlets in the rear.
I really hope toyota is in fact reading this.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I do not have the factory sub (Install aftermarket NAV unit, amp, speakers and sub) but the factory wires were there
I spliced into the power and ground and connected a power outlet in the rear cargo area. I drilled out a hole for it to fit thru in the removable access panel door. No picture but if anyone needs one I can take a quick pic and post

·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts