Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My brakes failed me while on the freeway Monday afternoon. I had to slow down rapidly due to something up ahead causing everyone to hit their brakes, and my brakes didn't want to stop. The pedal pulsed back at my foot a couple times, and it was just going to the floor with almost no feedback at all. I pumped the pedal a few times and got some compression back. Luckily the traffic was already backed up so I wasn't going very fast (about 35-40mph).

I managed to slowly crawl to a stop as I made my way over to the shoulder. I turned off the engine and was sitting there thinking about what I was going to do, and decided to chance it with the hazards on because I was literally less than 100 feet from my exit and live three blocks from that. I figured if anything, I could just use the e-brake all the way home. I applied the brake pedal to start the truck back up, and as I did so, the brake pedal gave off a whining drone for a couple seconds and pushed back against my foot. I suddenly had brake compression again and was able to drive home normally.

Just last night, my wife and I went for some dinner and while stopped in the drive through, the FJ began rolling forward. As this happened, the brake pedal just sort of sank lower to the floor and I had to mash it down really hard and lift the e-brake to make us stop. I just missed lunging into the van in front of us by two inches at the most. I swore we hit them, but didn't hear or feel anything. I had to put it into park and shut off the truck again. The same thing happened with the brake pedal when I started the truck again.

I'm taking it in AGAIN this morning. Updates will be posted as I get them.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
That would concern me.. Of to the dealer with you.. Ron

My brakes failed me while on the freeway Monday afternoon. I had to slow down rapidly due to something up ahead causing everyone to hit their brakes, and my brakes didn't want to stop. The pedal pulsed back at my foot a couple times, and it was just going to the floor with almost no feedback at all. I pumped the pedal a few times and got some compression back. Luckily the traffic was already backed up so I wasn't going very fast (about 35-40mph).

I managed to slowly crawl to a stop as I made my way over to the shoulder. I turned off the engine and was sitting there thinking about what I was going to do, and decided to chance it with the hazards on because I was literally less than 100 feet from my exit and live three blocks from that. I figured if anything, I could just use the e-brake all the way home. I applied the brake pedal to start the truck back up, and as I did so, the brake pedal gave off a whining drone for a couple seconds and pushed back against my foot. I suddenly had brake compression again and was able to drive home normally.

Just last night, my wife and I went for some dinner and while stopped in the drive through, the FJ began rolling forward. As this happened, the brake pedal just sort of sank lower to the floor and I had to mash it down really hard and lift the e-brake to make us stop. I just missed lunging into the van in front of us by two inches at the most. I swore we hit them, but didn't hear or feel anything. I had to put it into park and shut off the truck again. The same thing happened with the brake pedal when I started the truck again.

I'm taking it in AGAIN this morning. Updates will be posted as I get them.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I swear I had something similar to this happen to me as well. The thing is, I was the first car at a stop light, so no one in front of me to hit.

It seems that I hit a small pot hole as I was braking and all of a sudden I had no brakes.

The problem is, it happened so suddenly and for such a short distance.....when it was over (I had brakes when starting back up after the light) I wasn't quite sure what had just happened.

Those few seconds when the brakes felt like mush were a little freaky though.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
I swear I had something similar to this happen to me as well. The thing is, I was the first car at a stop light, so no one in front of me to hit.

It seems that I hit a small pot hole as I was braking and all of a sudden I had no brakes.

The problem is, it happened so suddenly and for such a short distance.....when it was over (I had brakes when starting back up after the light) I wasn't quite sure what had just happened.

Those few seconds when the brakes felt like mush were a little freaky though.
that's just the solid rear axle getting unsettled by the pothole, causing the wheel to come off the ground, causing 'lockup' in the eyes of the sensor, which triggers abs. The only times I really had this happen were when my air pressure was too high, as well as a few times when the truck was new. what are you running in your tires?

·
Registered
534 Posts
what are you running in your tires?
You mean air pressure wise? It seems like I had just had them rotated, within a few days of the incident (one of us got a BOLT jammed in the tire that I noticed as I was running an errand) and I have to wonder if they overfilled them?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the FJ back today with the service techs telling me they couldn't reproduce the problem with my rig this time. They completely bled the brakes dry and refilled the reservoir with new fluid to see if it might help. The adviser was very apologetic to me and told me he hated sending me away, but without being able to reproduce the problem, and it not throwing any codes there isn't much else they can do right now. I was told that if I have any further brake issues to try and use my Toyota roadside assistance and have it towed on a flatbed from right where it's happening and they will have an engineer from Toyota come out to inspect the entire system because it's becoming an issue that may qualify it as a lemon.

Big thanks to the friendly and professional staff at Antioch Toyota. As always, I was given a loaner to drive, was treated excellent, and my concerns were taken very seriously by the service department. So far, everything on the brake systems is operating perfectly.

·
Registered
932 Posts
How many miles do you have and how long have you had the vehicle. There are several things that could cause a loss of pedal that many people may not notice they are causing. The older your brake fluid gets the more mositure it will capture. You can acctually absorb up to 3.5% of moisture within 18 months. Anyway what you may have experienced was boiling your brake fluid. Once your brake fluid reaches a temp that exceeds its boiling point it will vaporize, thus loosing your brake pedal. You can then pump the pedal and get a soft pedal. Letting your vehilce sit will allow the fluid to cool and bring back your pedal feel. The dealer bleeding out your brakes may have done you a huge favor by replacing the fluid for free. Brake fluid should be completely flushed and replaced at least every two years. Hope this helps and take it easy on the brakes and it will help all around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts