Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently been noticing more FJs w/o roof racks on the road. As I recall, almost all FJs (like mine) had roof racks on them when they first came out in 2007, but things seemed to have changed.

Has anyone else noticed an uptick in rackless FJs and, if so, do you think this just a coincidence or is it actually because Toyota's been selling more FJs w/o a roof rack installed? Just curious. :shrug03:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Great observation. Ive noticed some roofless fj's around these parts aswell. My '08 came with one i know that. Maybe the 2wd come without now or they did from the beginning i dont know. All i know is factory or not the rack does come in handy thats for sure.

-Ryan :cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I've noticed that too. Well, I should say, I've noticed more FJ's that are rackless, but still not as many as I see that have racks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
:lol: Did i say roofless? I meant rackless. Thanks Capt. that makes much more sense. They dont look too bad without them.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Back in June of '06 when I bought my FJ I didn't want the rack. The dealer had a black one rack less with all the other options I wanted...sold.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeah I've been noticing that too. When they first came out, seeing one without a rack was very rare. Now I see them all the time. At first, I really didn't like the look of them, but now I almost prefer it. They are more unique than all of ours with the rack.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I had mine ordered from Japan (AG, MT, Upgrade and Conv, hitch…) I knew exactly what I wanted, and they had my FJ slated to have a rack put on but I had them cancel that. Saved me some $$$. I wasn’t sure if I needed it so I wanted to try it rackless for a while and figured I could get an aftermarket rack for just a few $ more, or buy a used unwanted factory rack for pennies.

So far, I haven’t had a need for a rack and really like the look w/o.

·
Registered
170 Posts
As soon as they started showing up without the rack I liked it. I was lucky enough to get one without it. I dunno just dont like the big rack up there. However lately i have been thinking of getting one and doing the "Rack Chop" mod. Im not against them, just think the stock one is too tall.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had mine ordered from Japan (AG, MT, Upgrade and Conv, hitch…) I knew exactly what I wanted, and they had my FJ slated to have a rack put on but I had them cancel that. Saved me some $$$. I wasn’t sure if I needed it so I wanted to try it rackless for a while and figured I could get an aftermarket rack for just a few $ more, or buy a used unwanted factory rack for pennies.

So far, I haven’t had a need for a rack and really like the look w/o.
Same here - they wanted $660 dollars MORE for the rack and $200 for carpet mats. I passed on both.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I took mine off. I can't get it in my 1916 garage with the rack on. I was going to get the garage raised but for the $6,000, I figured I would just put it on when I needed.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
A year or two ago I never saw FJs without roof racks, but that has definitely changed. I thought I was gonna be a little different from the norm with my rack-less Sandstorm, but then I saw another one just like it in my area in my first week of ownership. I'll bet that guy was as miffed as I was. :lol:

I got lucky and bought a used '08 5AT 4x4 last August exactly as I would have spec'd it new. Found it in VA through CarMax without a roof rack, but with just about everything else (A-TRAC, RR Diff Lock, crappy plastic subwoofer, etc). Since then I bought a cargo carrier for when I need to haul things that won't fit inside or that I don't want in there. Now I'm really starting to realize I want a utility trailer with solid sides that I can use for camping down the road, but not once have I wished that I had a roof rack other than the fact that they look cool. I'm a big fan of ARB stuff and if I ever got a rack it would probably be their shorty version.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth look is sexy.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think when they first came out dealers were loading them with every option possible because they were in high demand and knew they would sell regardless and it is more money for them. They all come from Japan rackless and the racks are put on at port and it is the dealers choice if they get them or not.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I wanted mine without the rack since I was sure I wanted an after market rack and not the factory one. Now after 2.5 years I've never needed the rack, but I'm still thinking about the Baja Rack. My goal is to be able to put a sheet of MDF on the rack, and none seem to be large enough.

One other thing to keep in mind is gas mileage. At best I get 18mpg with the 6MT. I'm not sure the roof rack would make that much difference, but when gas is $4 a gallon every little bit helps.

-C

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
...but I'm still thinking about the Baja Rack. My goal is to be able to put a sheet of MDF on the rack, and none seem to be large enough.

One other thing to keep in mind is gas mileage... -C
Not trying to provoke your gas mileage demons :lol:, but the BajaRack FJ Utility Rack is the best bet for that kind of rooftop hauling at 51"Wx91"L - Baja Rack
Just a couple inches hanging off either end should be fine.

As for me, I'm looking for 4'x6'-sized trailer with a tailgate I can drop down for hauling plywood sheets. A trailer that can be left at home when I don't need it. Of course not everyone has that option.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I bought mine new without a rack.

Eventually, I decided I needed the extra storage capacity for offroading/camping trips, so I bought I used OEM rack.

Recently, I moved into a new place with a lower garage door height and my truck won't fit with the rack on... so I'm only going to put it on if I really need it for a big trip.

The smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth look is sexy.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I was shopping around, there were quite a few fj's w/o the roof rack option. Mine didn't come with one because I wanna get an aftermarket one. Stealerships are pricey. ):

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have noticed a bunch without racks as well. Actually, after I installed my ICON suspension. I needed to take off the roofrack, so I can fit in the underground parking at work. If I dont have to park there anymore, I will be putting my rack back on, or possibly jumping on the gobi GB for the stealth rack.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Up in Canada in 06 and 07 you could not buy a new FJ from a dealership that didn't have a roofrack or alloy wheels. It was all they sent us from Japan....Same went for the 2wd model, and any of the Trail Teams models. Part of life I guess. For the longest time the only way an FJ didn't have a rack around here was if someone had imported it from the states.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts