Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lockers front/rear.

SFA (solid front axle) w/ linked coil suspension.

Fuel efficient, but still powerful Diesel.

Better visibility.

Quick Disconnect sway bars.

Better ground clearance.....nothing hanging below the frame rails.

4:1 or better transfer case, maybe dual cases with a mild 2.5:1 low range and a second case with either another 2.5:1 or 4:1 low range.

Lighter overall weight.

105-115" Wheel base with relatively minor overhang for better approach and departure angles.

Pipe dream, huh? :lol:

Sean

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Hi Sean.

Yeah. You just described my FJ about 6 years into the future except that it won't have a diesel and prob won't weigh any less. Other than that, I'm shooting for exactly what you listed. Oh, and the Vis prob won't improve unless I go with my idea of adding a tube style door for wheeling purposes.

Additionally,

Full custom roll cage
better rear tire carrier - get it off the back door

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So a solid front axle, diesel.. And a lighter weight??

Yeah, that's just not gonna happen.
I wasn't saying they should keep the current platform either though....

There are plenty of ways to drop weight with a totally new design.

Sean

Oh, and I realize this is VERY much a niche vehicle (but so is the Rubicon)....hence why it's a pipe dream.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Toyota: Clone the US Military's Humvee (not the H-1) The AM General M-998 A2

That's what everyone of us really want. Take the best parts of that vehicle and make a civilian vehicle - because we can't buy the military style HUMVEE. General Motors wants to sell us an H-1 and it's sort of the Gucci version of the military rig that is priced WAY too high.

V8, 6.5L Diesel Fuel Injection, Naturally Aspirated (N.A.), EPA Compliant
Horsepower (@3,400 RPM): 160HP (120 KW)
Torque (@1,700 RPM): 290 lb.-ft. (393 N m)
Displacement: 400 cu. in. (6.5L)
Bore & Stroke: 4.06x3.83 in. (10.3x9.7 cm.)
Compression Ratio: 21.3:1
Fuel Capacity: 50 gal.

Transmission:
Type: 4-speed automatic with a maximum input torque rating of 451 lb. ft. (612 N m)
Gear Ratios:
1st- 2.48:1
2nd- 1.48:1
3rd- 1.0:1
4th- .075:1
Reverse- 2.08:1
Torque Converter ratio- 2.1:1

Transfer Case: Gear Ratio: Low- 2.72:1; High - 1.01:1

Axles: Hypoid with a ratio of 2.73:1. Continuous torque rating: 1,281 lb. ft. (1,737 N m)

Geared Hubs: Gear ratio: 1.92:1

Frame: Steel box section with 5 crossmembers

Electrical: 12/24 volt waterproof 200 amp.

Alternator: 400 amp. alternator is available as a kit

Steering: Power-assisted with a variable ratio of 13/16:1

Differential: Torque-biasing differential

Brakes: Hydraulically actuated, four-wheel inboard mounted power disc brakes with dual reservoir master cylinder. Rotors are 12.0 in. (0.30 m.) in diameter with an effective area of 21.4 in2 (0.014 m.2) each. The parking brake manually activates the rear service brakes.

Suspension: Independent double A-frame with open-end coil springs and hydraulic shock absorbers.

Tires: 37x12.5 R16.5 LT load range "D" Radial with low profile runflat device

Wheels: 3,850 lbs. (1,747 kg.) capacity 16.5x8.25 2 piece take-apart wheels
(beadlock wheels)

Maximum Speed: 70 mph (113 kmph)
Grade Capability: 60%
Run Flat Capability: 30 miles at 30 mph (48 km at 48 kmph)
Side Slope Capability: 40% (M1097A2 w/ shelter 30%)
Ramp Breakover Angle: 31.5°
Turning Radius (curb to curb): 25 ft. (7.62 m.)

Deep Water Fording: 60in. (1.52 m.)

(The performance reflects the performance required by the U.S. military)

Additional Equipment:
Antenna mount
Winch
Hard top and doors
Central tire inflation system (CTIS)
Desert filtration package
Driveline protection armor
Spare tire carrier
Bulkhead spare tire
Jerry can carrier
Brush & headlight guards
Air conditioning

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Toyota should at least put a fr. locker in the FJ, they put a rr locker and didn't even bother with the front. They should also relocate ALL the breather to a higher and safer position.:cool:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Lockers front/rear.

SFA w/ linked coil suspension.

Fuel efficient, but still powerful Diesel.

Better visibility.

Quick Disconnect sway bars.

Better ground clearance.....nothing hanging below the frame rails.

4:1 or better transfer case, maybe dual cases with a mild 2.5:1 low range and a second case with either another 2.5:1 or 4:1 low range.

Lighter overall weight.

105-115" Wheel base with relatively minor overhang for better approach and departure angles.

Pipe dream, huh? :lol:

Sean
Sean,
Although I would certainly like to have some of these "goodie" - the unfortunate truth is that there is a very limited market for these type of options compared to the demographics that this vehicle was originally aimed at....

·
Registered
313 Posts
Of all the options that you listed I would like to see a factory case with 4:1 or 4.7:1 low range gearing. It would make driving in rocky situations or tight areas a little more enjoyable.

Zane

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I wish fairies would fart magical powder onto my wallet and make money appear to buy the FJ you are suggesting. It goes like this, you want lighter? buy a suzuki, you want SFA, buy a jeep, you want more options, buy a Land cruiser. you want it all rolled in one? rob a bank.:lol::jester::rofl:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Toyota should at least put a fr. locker in the FJ, they put a rr locker and didn't even bother with the front. They should also relocate ALL the breather to a higher and safer position.:cool:
Front locker would be nice. I wonder how many "warranty" claims there will be though...

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sean,
Although I would certainly like to have some of these "goodie" - the unfortunate truth is that there is a very limited market for these type of options compared to the demographics that this vehicle was originally aimed at....
Already noted: See the Rubicon comment. There's a market for this vehicle....the difference is, right now, the only mfg serving that market is Jeep. Toyota is better than that.

Sean

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Toyota: Clone the US Military's Humvee (not the H-1) The AM General M-998 A2

That's what everyone of us really want. Take the best parts of that vehicle and make a civilian vehicle - because we can't buy the military style HUMVEE. General Motors wants to sell us an H-1 and it's sort of the Gucci version of the military rig that is priced WAY too high.

V8, 6.5L Diesel Fuel Injection, Naturally Aspirated (N.A.), EPA Compliant
Horsepower (@3,400 RPM): 160HP (120 KW)
Torque (@1,700 RPM): 290 lb.-ft. (393 N m)
Displacement: 400 cu. in. (6.5L)
Bore & Stroke: 4.06x3.83 in. (10.3x9.7 cm.)
Compression Ratio: 21.3:1
Fuel Capacity: 50 gal.

Transmission:
Type: 4-speed automatic with a maximum input torque rating of 451 lb. ft. (612 N m)
Gear Ratios:
1st- 2.48:1
2nd- 1.48:1
3rd- 1.0:1
4th- .075:1
Reverse- 2.08:1
Torque Converter ratio- 2.1:1

Transfer Case: Gear Ratio: Low- 2.72:1; High - 1.01:1

Axles: Hypoid with a ratio of 2.73:1. Continuous torque rating: 1,281 lb. ft. (1,737 N m)

Geared Hubs: Gear ratio: 1.92:1

Frame: Steel box section with 5 crossmembers

Electrical: 12/24 volt waterproof 200 amp.

Alternator: 400 amp. alternator is available as a kit

Steering: Power-assisted with a variable ratio of 13/16:1

Differential: Torque-biasing differential

Brakes: Hydraulically actuated, four-wheel inboard mounted power disc brakes with dual reservoir master cylinder. Rotors are 12.0 in. (0.30 m.) in diameter with an effective area of 21.4 in2 (0.014 m.2) each. The parking brake manually activates the rear service brakes.

Suspension: Independent double A-frame with open-end coil springs and hydraulic shock absorbers.

Tires: 37x12.5 R16.5 LT load range "D" Radial with low profile runflat device

Wheels: 3,850 lbs. (1,747 kg.) capacity 16.5x8.25 2 piece take-apart wheels
(beadlock wheels)

Maximum Speed: 70 mph (113 kmph)
Grade Capability: 60%
Run Flat Capability: 30 miles at 30 mph (48 km at 48 kmph)
Side Slope Capability: 40% (M1097A2 w/ shelter 30%)
Ramp Breakover Angle: 31.5°
Turning Radius (curb to curb): 25 ft. (7.62 m.)

Deep Water Fording: 60in. (1.52 m.)

(The performance reflects the performance required by the U.S. military)

Additional Equipment:
Antenna mount
Winch
Hard top and doors
Central tire inflation system (CTIS)
Desert filtration package
Driveline protection armor
Spare tire carrier
Bulkhead spare tire
Jerry can carrier
Brush & headlight guards
Air conditioning

Make a new thread Larry. ;) :lol: I, for one, want NOTHING to do with the military version of the H1. Especially not with the totally crap 6.5 Chevy diesel.....Not with its easy to break half shafts and ball joints/a-arm assemblies that need constant maintenance. Not to mention the enormous size (and weight) is a huge hinderance in anything but open terrain. Then there's the pitiful excuse for a suspension system that can't articulate its way out of a paper bag. The only reason it doesn't flop on a regular basis is b/c it's so damn wide. It's too big and slow to be a good daily driver. The Rubicon has it beat hands down in terms of streetability and with about $10K in mods, bumping the price to roughly $40K, it will tackle harder trails than the Humvee at less than half the price.

The Humvee is a great all around 4x4, but it isn't a very good trail rig for most of the USA. It's a jack of all trades, master of none. The question is: why would you want one?

Sean

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
I wish fairies would fart magical powder onto my wallet and make money appear to buy the FJ you are suggesting. It goes like this, you want lighter? buy a suzuki, you want SFA, buy a jeep, you want more options, buy a Land cruiser. you want it all rolled in one? rob a bank.:lol::jester::rofl:
Nice!

Sean, if you want a Toyota with those features, find one overseas (Australia) and ship it back here. Otherwise, it's doubtful Toyota will be able to build one to your specs.
You can thank government regulations for that.

Unless you can do without the diesel. Then you can just get a mid-80's truck before they went to IFS.

M

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
Make a new thread Larry. ;) :lol: I, for one, want NOTHING to do with the military version of the H1. Especially not with the totally crap 6.5 Chevy diesel.....Not with its easy to break half shafts and ball joints/a-arm assemblies that need constant maintenance. Not to mention the enormous size (and weight) is a huge hinderance in anything but open terrain. Then there's the pitiful excuse for a suspension system that can't articulate its way out of a paper bag. The only reason it doesn't flop on a regular basis is b/c it's so damn wide. It's too big and slow to be a good daily driver. The Rubicon has it beat hands down in terms of streetability and with about $10K in mods, bumping the price to roughly $40K, it will tackle harder trails than the Humvee at less than half the price.

The Humvee is a great all around 4x4, but it isn't a very good trail rig for most of the USA. It's a jack of all trades, master of none. The question is: why would you want one?

Sean
Since we are already off topic..........

2 words

Jeep J8

·
Registered
952 Posts
Nice!

Sean, if you want a Toyota with those features, find one overseas (Australia) and ship it back here. Otherwise, it's doubtful Toyota will be able to build one to your specs.
You can thank government regulations for that.

Unless you can do without the diesel. Then you can just get a mid-80's truck before they went to IFS.

M
Sean,
Still don't understand why Toyota refuses to bring diesel into North America...

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
Sean,
Still don't understand why Toyota refuses to bring diesel into North America...
This is the best version of this I can write based on my limited knowledge of all things 'vehicle-related' and keep my brain from imploding:

For the longest time, diesel in the US was not of the low-sulfur variety. People are very emission-phobic and so is the EPA. Toyota steered clear of high-emission vehicles altogether for many years thanks to all that.

The US Government (hereto referred to as 'the man') gives a point value to vehicle manufacturers. For every vehicle they build, there is a set amount of points given to each vehicle.

The Yaris and Prius get low points. The FJ gets a lot.

Now that low-sulfur diesel is available in the US there's a better chance for Toyota to get a diesel-powered vehicle to market.

This has been discussed ad nauseum in many other threads....but it's still fun to smack the crap out of the dead horsey on occasion. ;)

M

·
Registered
141 Posts
we can all dream!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
i think that a little more offroad capability would be nice, but still the fj is a beast being able to handle the roads and malls and still make it out into the dirt at any time

1 - 20 of 23 Posts