Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am calling this a rumor becuase I did not hear this first hand. Someone calling themselves scootertrash posted the following on Edmunds.com.

I spoke to one of the product managers at SEMA-

Production starts first week of January
First US sales in early-Feb
Price: "Lower-mid 20's"
Mileage "Not EPA tested yet between 4x4 truck and 6 cyl Forerunner
White roof will be standard on all FJ's
First year colors: Blue, Yellow, Silver and Black. Tan will come later
The drivers seat does have a height adjuster
The floor does not fold flat, each section is on a different level.
There is acceptable real leg room, but is claustrophobic back there. The rear door window is even smaller inside than it looks from the outside. It is glued in place.
The side view is similar to an airplane seat when the post is next to you. You have to lean about a foot forward to be able to see out. and it's about as small as a airplane window too.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Rumor is a rumor does:
#1. We have all heard Mar '06. I have from my dealer.
#2. We have seen it with a black roof.
#3. The recent flier clearly states the black cherry color. I'll trust that more then some random guy on the internet(oh wait I am a random guy on the internet)
#4. One of the guys from ih8mud.com sat in the back and he is 6'5". No complaints from him.
#5. The rear window...goes down. And I am about to rant on the other thread to this fact. So check it.

My guess...he is 12 and has his information all wrong. Our at least that is what I hope.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
in random guys defence: ;)

#2. We have seen it with a black roof.

There is a lot of guessing here but some think the only way to get the black roof is to get the special edition. I hope this isn't the case though the white capped roof is growing on me.

#3. The recent flier clearly states the black cherry color. I'll trust that more then some random guy on the internet(oh wait I am a random guy on the internet)

I agree with you, Black Cherry is a FJ color

#4. One of the guys from ih8mud.com sat in the back and he is 6'5". No complaints from him.

He never says there isn't leg room, only that the area is somewhat "claustrophobic back there" due to the windows placement in relation to the passenger.

#5. The rear window...goes down. And I am about to rant on the other thread to this fact. So check it.

See my respone to your other thread. I really do hope it can lower but given the controls and the apparent lack of room for the window to drop into it doesn't look good.

Wow, I just defended some guy I will never meet to someone I don't know. Got to love the internet..... :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has everyone seen this (from Expeditions West) Updated today

http://www.expeditionwest.com/equipment/SEMA_05/toyota/FJ_Cruiser/fj_cruiser_detail.htm

Update 11/3

I had the chance to talk with Mark, the project manager of the FJ Cruiser. Here are a few quick details:

1. No mass marketing. Mostly on the trail promotion, Moab, the Rubicon, etc.
2. Over 60 companies showed up for the measuring session. Bumpers, suspension, etc. will be available.
3. They are shooting (not confirmed) for a factory trail package which will include 33" tires, special gearing and additional protection
4. The designed the truck to support aftermarket equipment installation, including looms to the GPS pocket, rack for light, channels in the frame, etc.
5. A 6-speed manual will be available with a full time transfer case. It will have a center differential lock.
6. January production start, in dealers in March. Pricing will be set in late December to allow for dealer pre-ordering.

·
Registered
132 Posts
"5. A 6-speed manual will be available with a full time transfer case. It will have a center differential lock."

Okay, I am a little confused about T-cases. I am totally ignorant of Toyota's 4X4 systems so bear with me here. Will there be multiple transfer cases available? Is the t-case you mentioned selectable, or is it in 4wd full time all the time? Is it selectable between 2hi, 4fulltime, 4hi, and 4lo? Or is it just 2hi, 4 fulltime, and 4lo? I am asuming it will have a low range and that it is not a viscously couple unit for the four wheel drive high range. Will there be a part time only T-case available, as in no 4fulltime, just a locked 4hi and 4lo? Are the t-cases pushbottun/knob, vaccum operated, or a direct link shifter

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
I dont know about the rest, but alot of the pics from sema and whatnot clearly show an automatic transmission with a manually operated transfer case. hopefully (though i doubt it) this will stay true for all configurations, less electronics is less fo go wrong.

·
Registered
38 Posts
mpd8488 said:
"5. A 6-speed manual will be available with a full time transfer case. It will have a center differential lock."

Okay, I am a little confused about T-cases. I am totally ignorant of Toyota's 4X4 systems so bear with me here. Will there be multiple transfer cases available? Is the t-case you mentioned selectable, or is it in 4wd full time all the time? Is it selectable between 2hi, 4fulltime, 4hi, and 4lo? Or is it just 2hi, 4 fulltime, and 4lo? I am asuming it will have a low range and that it is not a viscously couple unit for the four wheel drive high range. Will there be a part time only T-case available, as in no 4fulltime, just a locked 4hi and 4lo? Are the t-cases pushbottun/knob, vaccum operated, or a direct link shifter
Information does seem to still be spotty and yes, confusing. We may have to wait until the come out to find out for sure.

As for the center diff., my 01 4Runner has one, which is the first year they changed to this system (I think). My 2000 4Runner had a locking rear diff. This means that my 01 4Runner can be full-time 4WD, it can be used on pavement. For off-road use the center diff can be locked which distributes power evenly to both axles. I would think this system could still have a rear locking diff, so you can split the power to both rear wheels evenly. From what we can tell from SEMA, ARB is making a front locker for those serious off-roaders. I am more than happy with just a rear locker. I used it one time in my old 99 Tacoma, if I did not have it I would have been screwed since I was in the middle of no where, in Canada and it was winter! I don't off road for recreation, but rather I need a rugged/reliable 4WD vehicle to take me where ever I need to go.

It's also confusing about the full-time 4WD, since my 01 4Runner can still be both at the touch of a lever. I thought 'full-time' meant it was in 4WD all the time and you could not change to 2WD, apparently that's not the case.

Also most here seem to think traction control is lame, but it's saved my a** before and I am a very competent driver. I grew up in New England and I can drive is snow with FWD better than most with 4WD. My point is you need to be able to shut it off, which you should be able to do to some degree. I am assuming this because in my 4Runner, the VSC is disabled when activating the center diff lock. In the FJ, I would prefer to see a VSC on/off switch, for some reason only the 2WD 4Runner has one.

D

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
This may help:

They said initially there will be three models to choose from and ample package models in each.

4x2 model not a lot of explanation available. 4x4 with 5-speed automatic will have the option of turning 4x4 off. 4x4 with 6-speed manual will be full time 4x4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts