Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experienced this:

This morning I loaded up the FJC and closed the rear hatch only to have 20+ mosquitos fly out from behind the spare tire a second later. I haven't driven it in the rain in over a month and it's parked where it dosen't get rained on, so I don't think they were breeding there. Now I'm wondering if they aren't attracted to the all black, uncovered spare for some reason.

Behuler? Anyone else?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a conspiracy..
THEY are coming for you!
They come for everyone in Florida - we're used to it. I'm just trying to figure out why they were squatting in my spare tire of all places.

Also typo in title. It should have read Mosquito swarm FROM spare tire.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Is there stagnant water in the spare somehow? Maybe they've laid a nest...? IDK

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
hmmmmm....... Hope that is not coming our way here in NOLA! We have enough bugs over here!

Kim

·
Registered
588 Posts
I looked at my spare tire, there didn't seem to be any place for them to breed. The only thing I can think is they were just chillin...

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
They just know the cool place to hang out!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
"Hey yo! Whatchu doin' tonight?"

"Aw, I'm just gonna be chillin' at da spot tonight. You know how I do!"

"Werd!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is just some thoughts from your local entomologist. Adult mosquitoes just like us need a nice place to hang out overnight and the space behind the spare tire is well protected, not to mention that it is just a cool place to be. I do not think it is a water or dark color issue. I would not use any DEET or other bug spray to keep them away these products may damage the plastic cover and paint. Your mosquitoes have good taste, I just hope they don't aquire a taste for FJ driver blood. At least it is not a snake coiled up around the tire, that is a whole other story.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Haven't had any skeeter issues yet but the birds just love perching on the rear wiper and they tried to build a nest behind the spire tire as well. Washing bird sh!t off the rear bumper is a continual exercise for me :(

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is just some thoughts from your local entomologist. Adult mosquitoes just like us need a nice place to hang out overnight and the space behind the spare tire is well protected, not to mention that it is just a cool place to be. I do not think it is a water or dark color issue. I would not use any DEET or other bug spray to keep them away these products may damage the plastic cover and paint. Your mosquitoes have good taste, I just hope they don't aquire a taste for FJ driver blood. At least it is not a snake coiled up around the tire, that is a whole other story.
I knew there had to be a FJ Cruiser bug expert out there somewhere! LOL
And I personally use picaridin instead of DEET for just that reason. Although I hadn't thought of applying any to the spare steelie. I may give that a shot.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Not to be a conspiracy theorist but I'm pretty sure they're members of a radical environmental mosquito sect that targets off-road vehicle owners. Now that they've selected you for possible elimination you might want to consider stocking up on mosquito netting as an everyday fashion addition. No thanks are necessary; just trying to do my part to protect my fellow FJ brethren from likely extermination at the hands (well, technically the proboscises) of wacko environmental insect zealots.

Jim

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hey Mountainman, just EXACTLY how far up in the mountains are you???? :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts