Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got the TT and I have the 100/400W plug in the back, which was sold to me as an awesome option from the dealer... But this inverter seems pretty weak to me. What accessories can you really run on a 100w/400w plug!?! I've done some searches and it seems like most people just do laptops, cell phones, etc on these....

Anybody run anything really cool off this plug that I haven't thought of? I originally bought it with an air compressor in mind, but I don't think it would be powerful enough to run one of those... Guess I'll have to stick with my little 12V bike pump!

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
So, I just got the TT and I have the 100/400W plug in the back, which was sold to me as an awesome option from the dealer... But this inverter seems pretty weak to me. What accessories can you really run on a 100w/400w plug!?! I've done some searches and it seems like most people just do laptops, cell phones, etc on these....

Anybody run anything really cool off this plug that I haven't thought of? I originally bought it with an air compressor in mind, but I don't think it would be powerful enough to run one of those... Guess I'll have to stick with my little 12V bike pump!
You just about covered it...not to many devices can be run on less than
400 Watts :mecry: Thats the key word...Watts...Find out how much power each appliance or whatever will need!

I installed a huge inverter and a second battery...now I can run anything up to 4000W :cheers:

·
Registered
947 Posts
christmas lights
chargers: phone, laptop, drills, battery packs, flashlights,
computer monitors
dc converter :D

thats all ive tried

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You just about covered it...not to many devices can be run on less than
400 Watts :mecry: Thats the key word...Watts...Find out how much power each appliance or whatever will need!

I installed a huge inverter and a second battery...now I can run anything up to 4000W :cheers:
Did you replace the one that the TT came with? Sounds like a cool upgrade. I'm sure the wife would appreciate being able to run a hair dryer or something when we go camping. The thing is though -- for the cost of upgrading the inverter and adding a second battery, I might as well just buy a generator to power my POPUP camper, and then she can run 110 accessories from the camper without issue.

Might just leave it at 400W and run the laptop, flashlight and other chargers ;)

- Hakrjak

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know , pretty weak and pointless to me. I hve one in my 07 , we went to the tracks with the dirtbikes and I thought it would look cool to plug a compressor Into the back but was only embarassed lol ... Sounded like the little engine that could! Needless to say the bike tires were still Rideable and we filled the tank before leaving, phew!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a Glade "plug in" installed in mine right now. I wish I could say something cool, like a rechagable maglight or installed margaritaville machine... but the glade helps battle the Dog/fishing gear smell.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
All power outlets are not created equal. You do have to match up the power requirements of the equipment/device with the power available from the outlet. There's no way that the 100/400 watt outlet would ever run a compressor. The salesman that let you drive out of there thinking that was an idiot.

That outlet is great for laptops, charging cameras, phones, running a TV, and portable drill batteries, even a small microwave or a blender. No way it'll run a drill or a hair dryer. I have a multi-outlet extension run to the back seat and the kids use it for there portable DVD players and Nintendo DSI's and stuff like that all the time.

I like the idea of a Glade Plug-In! I hadn't thought of that.

Come on guys, a compressor?!! Really? You would need 1200 to 1500 watts to run a small one!

·
Registered
1 Posts
well i ran a blender, had the subwoofer pounding while i was making drinks and then i noticed the blender ran even faster when a song would end haha

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I could be mistaken but I believe somebody on here uses a portable air compressor that plugs in there, as there backup OBA. I'll try to find it.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I could be mistaken but I believe somebody on here uses a portable air compressor that plugs in there, as there backup OBA. I'll try to find it.
I did a little searching and I did find several small 120V AC powered compressors that would run on less than 400W. They're small but that's better than nothing!

I've got a small Campbell Hausfeld 3 gallon/1HP compressor sitting in my garage. I'll test it when I get home tonight to see how well it runs on the FJ's inverter.

The math says that anything that draws 3.33 ameres or less would be OK. The problem with an air compressor is "in-rush" or start-up current. If it draws 2.0A while running, it could easily draw 2 or 3 times that amount when it starts. It would only be for a fraction of a second, but maybe enough to trip the breaker/blow the fuse. I'll test it out and post what I find.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I can't find it, but I remember it in a thread. They bought it for something else and it happens to work off the inverter. Small thing. He even posted a picture of it up, still in the box. Only reason I remember is I tried searching for it on the net and couldn't find anybody who sold them anymore.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I did a little searching and I did find several small 120V AC powered compressors that would run on less than 400W. They're small but that's better than nothing!

I've got a small Campbell Hausfeld 3 gallon/1HP compressor sitting in my garage. I'll test it when I get home tonight to see how well it runs on the FJ's inverter.

The math says that anything that draws 3.33 ameres or less would be OK. The problem with an air compressor is "in-rush" or start-up current. If it draws 2.0A while running, it could easily draw 2 or 3 times that amount when it starts. It would only be for a fraction of a second, but maybe enough to trip the breaker/blow the fuse. I'll test it out and post what I find.
Cool.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've run an extension cord from the back to the front to charge my cell phone without having a car charger?!

·
Registered
7 Posts
All power outlets are not created equal. You do have to match up the power requirements of the equipment/device with the power available from the outlet. There's no way that the 100/400 watt outlet would ever run a compressor. The salesman that let you drive out of there thinking that was an idiot.

That outlet is great for laptops, charging cameras, phones, running a TV, and portable drill batteries, even a small microwave or a blender. No way it'll run a drill or a hair dryer. I have a multi-outlet extension run to the back seat and the kids use it for there portable DVD players and Nintendo DSI's and stuff like that all the time.

I like the idea of a Glade Plug-In! I hadn't thought of that.

Come on guys, a compressor?!! Really? You would need 1200 to 1500 watts to run a small one!
I brought my bostich pancake compressor to fill a flat on the wifes car the other day. It ran the comp. slowly but it ran. It took 20 min to fill a tire that should take less than five in a regular outlet. I wont try that again. Next time ill bring a long extension cord. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you overload it, is there an actual fuse that blows and needs to be replaced, or is there a circuit breaker somewhere that you can easily reset? Would be useful to know before getting into a jam with it in the wild!

Thanks,

- Hakrjak

1 - 20 of 30 Posts