Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, this thread will concentrate on the North American (mostly USA) market.

For our FJ kin outside NA there are a ton of trailer/camper/caravan choices that we can only dream of, and they surely have tons of info available on other forums.

Yes, I'm looking at you, Australia and South Africa. :wave:

Initially I started this list in another thread - http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/trailers-towing-tech/350937-off-road-camper-trailer.html, and I should send a big Thank You to Tmill009 for starting that thread and finally pushing me to this point.

In the end I figured we needed a dedicated Sticky Thread because members asking about offroad-capable camping trailers is a fairly common thing.

Maybe not as much as 'Why does my MPG suck?' or 'When is the next AllPro Group Buy', but common enough. :bigthumb:

Sticking with an alphanumeric order, not even going to try and break this into categories for Popup, Teardrop, Utility, Etc.

The only real qualification to be on this list is only that the trailer be able to handle dirt track, beach, and other off-the-beaten-path kinds of locations.

Some will crawl over the Rubicon while others will be best suited for base camp use, but not everyone needs a rock-crawling trailer and lots of us have 3-4 people to consider when camping.

There will be no pricing listed in the Master List. That's your job. Part of the ownership experience should be the journey of discovery. You'll thank me later.

Other good places to peruse are as follows...

http://compactcampingconcepts.wordpress.com/
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/42-Expedition-Trailers
http://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/trailer-tech.98/
http://www.tnttt.com/
http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/index.php

Suggestions are always welcome for adding to the list, additions and editing will be ongoing so check back when you get a chance.

This short list I pulled from my post in the other thread will get you started. I will start breaking it down soon and adding specific pictures and commentary with reviews and threads posted by owners when I can find them.

:cheers:

Bivouac Camping Trailers | Adventure Trailers | Off-Road Trailers | Tent Trailers
Moby1 Expedition Trailers LLC
Morris Mule Trailer Company - Home
Off Road Trailerz
Ruger Trailers | Off Road Trailers
Runaway Campers in Ocala, Florida - http://www.runawaycampers.com/
XVENTURE Off Road Trailer
https://www.socalteardrops.com/
Jeep Trailer, Off Road - Tent Trailers, 4x4 Trailers, All-Terrain Tent Trailer by Tentrax
Offroad Adventure Trailers | 4x4 Expedition Outfitter - VMI Offroad

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
3 Dog Camping USA - Quality Roof Top Tents, Truck & Trailer Tents & Tent Campers

Grand Junction, Colorado

Rooftop Tents, Tents for mounting on Trailers and Trucks, and Tent-equipped Trailers.

3 Dog Tent on a homebuilt trailer...

Adrenalin Campers - All Terrain Camper Trailers | Take Your Adrenalin Anywhere

Montrose, Colorado

USA-built Aussie flip-out hard floor camper trailer. Steel frame, aluminum body. Built to take a beating apparently.

Adventure Trailers - AT Overland

Prescott, Arizona

The uncontested granddaddy of the US-market off road trailer market. The pioneers of independent and adjustable air suspension for our part of the trailer world.

You might be a bigger fan of other trailers, but AT is still in everyone's top list of off road trailers, having been around long enough to become a established reference for others to follow.

Probably more responsible than any other manufacturer for the promotion and use of off road camping trailers in America.

AspenXTrails - NO LONGER IN BUSINESS - Built for a time by our very own forum member, skersfan. Removed per his request.

Bear Trailersports - CA Custom Off Road Trailers and Restoration | Bear Trailers

Chatsworth, California

Custom built trailer manufacturer, best know for their built-to-order boat and personal watercraft trailers. Their swift water rescue trailers and wood flooring are pretty slick.

Now offering their 'Trailgater' multi-purpose trailer that is also built-to-order. A utility box (size of your choosing) with good off road clearance that can be adapted/built for many uses.

Bivouac Camping Trailers LLC - Bivouac Camping Trailers | Adventure Trailers | Off-Road Trailers | Tent Trailers

Phoenix, Arizona

Maker of the catchy-named MOAB trailers (Mother Of All Bivouacs).

Of the 3 models they offer the FORT and the FORT XL both carry a trailer tent on top with storage inside the trailer.

The YAK model puts a twist on tent trailers by mounting the tent inside the trailer body on a large slide-out frame so that you can carry heavy toys strapped to the top.

Campa USA - Campa USA | All Terrain Trailers | Camping Trailer

Elyria, Ohio

Another perennial favorite at Overland Journal and Expedition Portal, but maybe not as well known as other trailer builders.

The All-Terrain Trailer (ATT) model is notable for the 40gal water tank and that the body being primarily constructed of stainless steel.

If you were going to depend on a trailer to follow you around the world, or if your life possibly depended on your trailer, Campa has you covered.

I believe I read somewhere that Campa has contracted to build trailers for several agencies heavily involved in rescue and disaster relief operations.

They also build a truck bed replacement called the Expedition Vehicle System (EVS) that looks like their ATT trailer body on the back of a pickup.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Crawlorado Offroad Trailers - Off Road Campers | Off Road Trailers - Crawlorado Off-Road

Colorado Springs, Colorado

By all appearances this is a lightweight, compact trailer with excellent break-over and departure angles that can get deep into rugged terrain.

Cricket Trailers - Cricket Trailer

Houston, Texas

Definitely more base camp than trail-dragger, but able to make it down a dirt road or the beach.

A personal favorite of mine due to the innovative, lightweight, and honestly oddball design from a former NASA engineer.

2012 Southwest Tour - Cricket 2012 on Vimeo

Dinoot Trailers - Home

Salem, Oregon

An honest-to-goodnes DIY trailer in kit form. Tubs made from fiberglass in J(eep)-style and an M(ilitary)-style. This another lightweight option for sure.

Frame kits available or buy a small utility trailer from Harbor Tool/Northern Freight and put the tub on that.

They also make a cool Jeep truck conversion kit as well.

Kakadu Camping Inc - Kakadu Camping

Delta, British Columbia

Another Aussie transplant also known as OzTrail North America. Selling full trailers and tents that can be fitted to your own trailer with a 4'x6' or 4'x7' box.

If you already have a trailer that makes for a lot of campground coverage at very good price in this category.

There was an excellent review on Expedition Portal as well - The Kakadu Tent Review! | Expedition Portal

Also one of these tents mounted on a Bear Trailersports Trailgater trailer (see Post #2 above) was for sale a while back - http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/vehicles-sale/151381-2012-kakadu-camping-bushranger-250-custom-bear-trailersports-trailgater.html

Little Guy Teardrop Trailers - Little Guy Teardrop Trailers | be different.

Massillon, Ohio

True to their name, Little Guy builds teardrop trailers small enough to be towed by a large dog, let alone a motorcycle or small car.

They also have an off road model called the Rough Rider that's built in '5 Wide' (queen-size bed) and '6 Wide' (king-size bed) versions.

I honestly can't imagine how awesome having a king-size mattress would be in the middle of nowhere.

Excellent video from ExPo member Hilldweller.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Livin' Lite Recreational Vehicles - Offroad Jeep and Bearcat Aluminum Campers | Livin' Lite RV

Wakarusa, Indiana

Well known for their all-aluminum construction, Livin' Lite trailers actually snagged a sweet deal with a major automotive manufacturer by making the Jeep trailer that can be purchased through any Mopar Accessories dealer.

For us non-Jeepers the same trailer is called the Quicksilver 6.0 and it's a small, lightweight popup (see Honda Fit pic below) that can also be purchased with their 'Offroad Pkg' which is basically bigger tires for more ground clearance.

There are bigger popup models as well as their hard-sided camper and toy hauler trailers. If you're hauling toys take a look at their tandem-axle Bearcat and VRV trailers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If we have a suggestion, can we throw it up here or should I PM you the info?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If we have a suggestion, can we throw it up here or should I PM you the info?
Absolutely go ahead and throw it in your posts.

I'll be subscribed and when I see a new suggestion I'll try to dig up up what links and manufacturer pictures I can to help populate the 'Master List' at the beginning of the the thread.

And I'll definitely add a Tip-of-the-Hat to the member who brought it to the list.

I am certainly hoping to get a lot of input, pictures, and experiences from any members seeing or towing these trailers in their 'natural habitat'. Bonus points for pictures with FJs. :bigthumb:

Already figuring I'm going to need a large posting for the Military Surplus Trailers with links culled from our own Shack and TexasTT, along with occasional visitor and parade trailer guru-extraordinaire Mark Harley.

I would like the thread to be a good general reference and for that I honestly believe it has to be 'THE' thread as opposed to 'MY' thread if that makes sense to anyone else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Absolutely go ahead and throw it in your posts.

Awesome! The company I have been watching for awhile is Runaway Campers, out of Ocala FL. Their trailers arent too frilly, but it keeps the cost down and leaves a TON of room for mods. I have been scouring the internet for some type of trailer for camping, and as much as I LOVE the big expensive expedition type trailers, I always come back to runaways. I havent pulled the trigger on getting one yet, but I believe they are worth a look-see.

RunawayCampers.com - Home

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome! The company I have been watching for awhile is Runaway Campers, out of Ocala FL...[/url]
Thanks for the link! That leads to another good idea. Gonna need to show the location of the trailer manufacturer for each one. That way members can see who might be closer or even in their local area.

I don't imagine this thread will be responsible for an increase in trailer sales anywhere :rolleyes:, but if there's any chance it can help promote quality products built in our own backyards local small business owners (with a vested interest in outdoor hobbies) so much the better.

Also, any information about discontinued models/manufacturers is welcome as well. There is a HUGE market for used trailers out there, and not a whole of information sometimes. Any help we can give each other in that regard will be a welcome addition.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Apologies for the stagnation. Been insane at work and then I took some vacation during which I got sick due to allergies kicking my @$$...

I'll be updating the front page some more this week and into next. I promise! :bigthumb:

Oh, and while I had my back turned Dendy Jarrett over on ExPo put the ONLY Conqueror Commander ever registered here in the USA up for sale.

Anybody got $43k I can borrow until I get this kidney transaction completed? :rolleyes:

Damn I love those trailers...

2010 Conqueror Commander - Only One in the US - Expedition Portal

The following added by Winterpeg
EDIT:
Interesting thread here advising there are quality control issues with the Conqueror trailers. The thread mostly talks about the shoddy quality of the Black Series campers, but a Conqueror owner posts about his trailer issues.
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/black-series-travel-trailers.194686/page-5#post-2539208

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I don't know the status but if still producing one of these might be what i go with: Bundu Gear: Safari-tested. Safari-tough. Off-Road Trailers
Those are actually Jurgens trailers (http://www.jurgenstrailers.co.za/) imported from South Africa. One of our own forum members, Antarctican, had an XT-140 trailer with the full cabin tent and awning setup. I think he may have sold it.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/vehicles-sale/141215-2010-xt-140-off-road-safari-trailer.html

I'm also not sure they're still being imported. Rou (the South African ex-pat who started Bundu Gear here) had to pull up stakes a couple years ago, relocate to the east coast, and change their entire operation.

Also sold their [email protected]$$ GX470 that had been built into a Prado lookalike.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Great thread! I'd grab some stuff from Expo and add it here. So many cool builds over there…

Edit: Read your comment about my build… Feel free to add any pics of mine that you'd like
Thanks, shack! I will take you up on that offer and you can expect to be featured in the 'Military Surplus' entry when I get there.

I plan to bring a lot of that ExPo knowledge over here. So often we see questions about 'off-road trailers' that get everyone's favorite choice as answers.

I have favorites too, but I figured the topic justified a potential sticky thread list just like Bumpers, Suspension Kits, or any other FJC accessory.

Maybe I'll even get this cross-posted to ExPo once it's complete and get Brady & Co to sticky it there. They have their 'Trailer Builds' sticky thread, but no list like this.

At some point I'll be able to stop using work as an excuse and get on with the rest it. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts