Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,974 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
So I'm reviving an old thread but I've been drooling over some trailers lately.
The first one I've been eyeballing is a Texas Company, Ethos Offroad. off road trailers | off road trailer sales | ethos off road
It pretty much comes with every option I can think of including a grill/smoker for us BBQ guys!

Another basic trailer is the Morris Mule. MORRIS MULE TRAILER COMPANY - Home
I like this one because you can haul all your gear and the top opens up for a kitchen counter style set up.
It doesn't seem to have a roof top tent option already available, but I'm sure you could figure it out.
I already have a cot tent (since I'm the only camper in my family) so this might actually be the right fit for me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I came across Jumping Jack Trailers while looking for something to drag behind our FJ. Super easy setup, but all your gear would be stored out in the open.

We ended up purchasing a used Kakadu Camping BushRanger 200 tent-trailer. Turns out it used to belong to Matt, the owner of Kakadu, so he'd added some nice extras such as a battery and electric trailer brakes. We'd really like to have one of their off-road 200 XT's or even better a 200 SE with the AT Overland Expedition trailer. At least ours is enough to start getting us out camping. Maybe we'll upgrade later.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
You should add TC Teardrops

TC Teardrops
I really like the teardrop trailer too.
I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of hauling my gear into the middle of nowhere with this.
As much as I like it, I think for me the Mule type trailer is more convenient as it allows me to swap out gear for the type of wheeling and camping I'll be doing.
With the teardrop I DO have the comfort of the hard sided camper, but then I have to haul everything in the back of the FJ and leave it on the ground near the campsite.
With the trailer I can leave everything off the ground and bring the different sleeping options I have. (hammock, cot-tent or regular tent).

I'm still in the early stages of this "Want" so as time goes on I'll figure it out.
I'm going to look at the Ethos Offroad trailer at the Lonestar Jamboree in May.
A buddy of mine just built his own trailer and is taking it with him down to Big Bend in two weeks. I'll see how he utilizes it.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I came across Jumping Jack Trailers while looking for something to drag behind our FJ. Super easy setup, but all your gear would be stored out in the open.

We ended up purchasing a used Kakadu Camping BushRanger 200 tent-trailer. Turns out it used to belong to Matt, the owner of Kakadu, so he'd added some nice extras such as a battery and electric trailer brakes. We'd really like to have one of their off-road 200 XT's or even better a 200 SE with the AT Overland Expedition trailer. At least ours is enough to start getting us out camping. Maybe we'll upgrade later.
Both of those are nice. I really like the one you chose, it's like a hotel on wheels, lol.

·
Registered
771 Posts
This is a bit of a hijack but oh well the thread was dead a year. It depends on what you how you want to camp and that is how I came up with the type of trailer I went with.

Teardrop - seems to be great if you want to camp with minimal deployment. Stop, open door, get in. Kitchen is in the back. The cargo box in front can hold clothes and whatnot.

Most utility trailers - carry all our gear and can be used for non camping reasons, but if they have a tent you need to deploy it. Deployment time depends on the tent style you get.

I opted for the utility style trailer because I wanted nothing in the FJ. I also couldn't justify a camping only trailer taking up my valuable space in my house.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I really like the teardrop trailer too.
I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of hauling my gear into the middle of nowhere with this.
As much as I like it, I think for me the Mule type trailer is more convenient as it allows me to swap out gear for the type of wheeling and camping I'll be doing.
With the teardrop I DO have the comfort of the hard sided camper, but then I have to haul everything in the back of the FJ and leave it on the ground near the campsite.
With the trailer I can leave everything off the ground and bring the different sleeping options I have. (hammock, cot-tent or regular tent).

I'm still in the early stages of this "Want" so as time goes on I'll figure it out.
I'm going to look at the Ethos Offroad trailer at the Lonestar Jamboree in May.
A buddy of mine just built his own trailer and is taking it with him down to Big Bend in two weeks. I'll see how he utilizes it.
The TC's can be customized however you want, and of the things I chose to add was a 60" toolbox on the front for storage. It holds nearly everything we need to take minus clothing, so storage really isn't an issue.

This is a bit of a hijack but oh well the thread was dead a year. It depends on what you how you want to camp and that is how I came up with the type of trailer I went with.

Teardrop - seems to be great if you want to camp with minimal deployment. Stop, open door, get in. Kitchen is in the back. The cargo box in front can hold clothes and whatnot.

Most utility trailers - carry all our gear and can be used for non camping reasons, but if they have a tent you need to deploy it. Deployment time depends on the tent style you get.

I opted for the utility style trailer because I wanted nothing in the FJ. I also couldn't justify a camping only trailer taking up my valuable space in my house.
I had the same thought process many years ago, so thats why I built my 101 the way I did. The problem I found was that as I modified it further and further, it became less "utility" and more a full blown camping setup. And for camping, the RTT just wasn't our cup of tea. After Expo last year, tent camping in the rain, sleet, snow and mud, I was done.

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is the reason we went with the BushRanger, although I am a bit limited on what I could carry inside, such as gravel or barkdust, as I can't take the tent off. With the boat rack on it I can carry long things like lumber. But I can keep all our camping gear such as camp stove, chairs, coolers, etc. inside and out of the weather. And the top and door lock when needed.

As you say, each person's needs will be different.

Attachments

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,974 Posts
So I'm reviving an old thread but I've been drooling over some trailers lately.
The first one I've been eyeballing is a Texas Company, Ethos Offroad. off road trailers | off road trailer sales | ethos off road
It pretty much comes with every option I can think of including a grill/smoker for us BBQ guys!

Another basic trailer is the Morris Mule. MORRIS MULE TRAILER COMPANY - Home
I like this one because you can haul all your gear and the top opens up for a kitchen counter style set up.
It doesn't seem to have a roof top tent option already available, but I'm sure you could figure it out.
I already have a cot tent (since I'm the only camper in my family) so this might actually be the right fit for me.
That Etos looks pretty good, but I can't help but wonder how much dust is going to get into that BBQ on the back like that. Running all of the dirt roads I do around here the back of my rigs have always been dirty and the fine stuff gets everywhere. We had a couple of custom built BBQs out at work similar in shape to those that sat outside the building that housed our lunchroom, Supervisors offices, etc. and they were always full of coal dust, sand, etc. and had to be rinsed off inside or your food would be gritty. That was just with the wind too.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
That Etos looks pretty good, but I can't help but wonder how much dust is going to get into that BBQ on the back like that. Running all of the dirt roads I do around here the back of my rigs have always been dirty and the fine stuff gets everywhere. We had a couple of custom built BBQs out at work similar in shape to those that sat outside the building that housed our lunchroom, Supervisors offices, etc. and they were always full of coal dust, sand, etc. and had to be rinsed off inside or your food would be gritty. That was just with the wind too.
That is a consideration. Back when I had a pick up and hauled my smoker around I used to have to tie the bungee cord around it.
I would hope I wouldn't on this one.
Good observation.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for the bump/slap-up-side-the-head everyone.

I know I've promised before, but I really need to sit down soon and flesh out the list. Maybe I'll spend less time on pictures and details which would make things go much quicker.

In the meantime please continue prod, cajole, curse me and to post up any new offerings you run across or even the crazy unusual stuff like...

traveler

I promise that ^^these^^ won't be making it onto the 'Off Road' list but it's always interesting and entertaining to see what is out there, even if it does cost an arm and a leg and a kidney. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Hey Switawi,

Yea, you can take me off he list. The wife just said enough is enough. Too much work to build what I was building, and the company I sold needs me to help them. I quit building them going on three years, sold the design and information. Can not build them even if I wanted to.

Still enjoy seeing the different ideas. But have moved on, only sanctioned off roading I do is the Summit. We have a few sports cars that I spend my time on. Not enough time in the day to do everything. Plus the wife got to the point she hated going. 47 years being married, it is hard not to listen when she says she has had enough.

Thanks for all the kind words over the years. Truly loved building them, but just too labor intensive the way I wanted to build them.

There is one for sale over on Expedition Portal. It has been garage kept, has a lot of options. Not mine in any way. It was the last one I built. Still nothing out there like it.

Are you going to the Summit this year?

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,974 Posts
That matches the new Toyota they just unveiled. Adventure awaits you as you pull off the highway with your WTH pulling your home away from home. You slow to a stop and engage the low range of the transfer case to make ready for what lies ahead. The dash light affirms that things are ready and you slowly pull forward down the gravel drive through the dips and holes, past the tent area, and soon you've finally made it to the Office, you will soon know which of the sites the KOA manager has set aside for you. You've returned to your vehicle and it's time to find site 32B so you slowly move on out with the meaty Goodyear tires biting into the gravel looking for traction and just when it seems they will fail, you're at site 32B. You are now ready to setup your tent from the trailer and spend a night in the wilds of the Somewhere, USA KOA. You're one of the lucky ones as you're near the babbling brook from the sounds of it. You walk towards the sound to find the stream with thoughts of trout almondine on your mind to go with your freshly made latte. There it is, you've found it, but wait, it's not a babbling brook, it's a leaky faucet from the next sites hookups. Oh well maybe next time there will be trout. You walk back to .......

·
A-Team Moderator
9,422 Posts
21 - 40 of 68 Posts