Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2007 FJ with 72,000 miles in July 2018. I did a oil change today with Castrol Edge 5W30. If you’re using synthetic motor oil what are you using? Also how often are you changing it?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
2010 FJ Mobil 1 0W-30 Full Synthetic every 6 mos or 5k miles whichever comes first.

For the 2010 and later models Toyota recommends 0W-20...but I run the 0W-30

·
Registered
949 Posts
Mobil 1 every 10k
But after seeing this, I may be using Amazon Basics in the future.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Sorry - Off topic: But what does Toyota use at the dealership? Isn't it a proprietary synthetic blend? Just curious, as that is all I've ever used.

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Mobil 1 every 10k
But after seeing this, I may be using Amazon Basics in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9DWGtXpYUc&t=15s
I haven't watched this video yet but it's in my watch later list - probably tonight.
Ill be interested to see what the outcome is as Amazon looks to disrupt yet another industry...
My initial feeling is that Amazon isn't looking to disrupt through innovation but provide a quality product for a reasonable price point - there's been a lot of analysis & testing of their other basics products including batteries and they've been proven to be equal or superior to premium brands - for much cheaper.
Does this stifle innovation? I don't know - they have a pretty solid track record of innovating to enter a market, pricing to dominate, then innovation to stay dominant. They have done this with books, online shopping, cloud services, etc - why not with consumable products?
Maybe it's the wake-up to competitors to innovate to maintain their margins & market position or die.
The engine oil industry hasn't really seen any innovation in a long time - the products are pretty much commodities with all products being very similar regardless of marketing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
2012 Trail Teams FJ., 200,000 miles. Been using Castrol 5-30 synthetic since new, change at 6,000 miles intervals. Lucas synthetic in diffs and transfer case. Vehicle has been bullet proof.

·
Registered
42 Posts
2008 FJ, 135000 mile, I just use any synthetic oil on sale, including M1, Havoline, Valvoline, Pennzoil, royal purple,
filter has used L10241, PL10241, PSL10241, PL20159, PSL20159, M102, Royal Purple, S3614ML, basically any filter on sale,
I only used L10241 for about 1k mile and changed the oil with M102 after I see the L10241 cut open picture on bob on the oil guy website.
still have one L10241 on hand but will never use it.

generally I will change it at 5k to 6k intervals. Royal purple for diffs and transfer case but only changed one time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2011 w/ 146k miles, i use valvoline syn pwr 0w20.. all the lab reports that ive seen online show good results... I saw varnish after just 2k miles useing mobil 1 high mileage in my filter housing and oil cap. This oil started on about 200 miles of overlanding the rest was regular city/highway driving. Im not putting tht stuff in my fj and I recomend you dnt either..

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
I saw varnish after just 2k miles useing mobil 1 high mileage in my filter housing and oil cap. This oil started on about 200 miles of overlanding the rest was regular city/highway driving. Im not putting tht stuff in my fj and I recomend you dnt either..
Odd
Wished you would of had that oil tested to see what was causing the varnish.

Got to tell you from experience that Mobil synthetics are one of the best at not causing varnish.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No one uses Shell? That's always been my go-to brand for grease, oil, and fuel. It's probably brand loyalty more than anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From Blackstone Labs, most recent report with 12,030 miles on the oil and 56,131 on the engine. Amsoil signature series 5W30. 2013 FJ.
So far I changed and tested the oil at 5,900, 8,000, and now 12,030 miles. 12-15,000 miles is one year for me, so probably won't be pushing it further than that.

WADE: The FJ Cruiser has really been doing well with the longer oil runs. You're really not getting much more metal now
than you were after 5,900 miles in the first report. Iron and copper are still below average, and the average interval for a
1GR-FE is just ~5,900 miles. That puts your engine at the top of the class, and that's really impressive since these are
one of the best wearing V6 engines currently on the market. The oil held up well for you too. Viscosity is still in grade,
and a low insolubles level shows the oil filter kept up just fine. Aim for 14,000 miles on the next oil run.

For fun, here's the Tundra that we also own, 126k on the truck, 20,100 on the same oil:

WADE: Not all engines can handle oil runs this long, but your V-8 has no problem going 20,000+ miles on the oil. Wear
metals are largely unchanged from the previous report, even with another 3,000 miles on the oil. Things look so good that
going longer still shouldn't be a problem. The viscosity is thick again for 5W/30. That probably shows some excess
heat/use, but it's not translating into excess wear. The TBN is still fine at 2.8. There's no fuel or coolant present and the
air and oil filters are working well. Try 23,000-25,000 miles on the next oil.

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence on the internet. Here's real testing.
wade

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
Update: 2013 <105K, was running Mobil 1 Syn with Mobil 1-301a external filter at 5000 miles. Recently switched to Amsoil Signature 5W-30, EaO 15 filter. After reading @wadestep reports I'm not sure about change intervals. Jade doesn't get out too much anymore, a weekly trip off road and a little around town, very little. Not a daily driver anymore. Will probably be changing oil/filter on time not miles.

@wadestep what are you running for filter(s)? I've been interested in the oil analysis but never got around to it. I think I will now.

Had an Amsoil dealership YEARS ago. Just reinstated as a preferred customer.

IMG_1709.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
@wadestep Do you do the Standard Test for the FJ? I see TBN, fuel and coolant results for the Tunda

Thanks,
Lee

1 - 20 of 24 Posts