Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
So, who won the torture test (I can't hear the video here at work)?

Plus, they only showed a couple of shots of the sandstorm FJ... what's up with that?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts

Plus, they only showed a couple of shots of the sandstorm FJ... what's up with that?
The Offroad Edition Xterra won top honors, followed by the Jeep, the FJ in 3rd place, the hummer, and lastly the Land Rover.

Personally, I don't think it was a fair fight. The FJ they featured didn't have all the offroad options like the Xterra model did.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah... one of the big points they made on the Jeep was the "locking diff."

That option sounds pretty familar.

Both the Hummer and the FJ got the same ding around visibility... which I can understand.

No way do I think of offroad when I look at the Nissan.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I am not sure why they thought road noise from the Jeeps mud tires was a negative factor when this is a 4X4 torture test.
HAHA, i was thinking the same thing. The first negative to the Rubicon was it had noisy tires. I guess they didn't understand that it came with the best offroad tires of any production SUV out right now.

Here is why the xterra won over the Rubicon, you got some city folk that would consider on-road performance as part of their decision. And they like their AC.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It was a weak sample. Each test sample should be comparable in options.

Also, the top two vehicles were offroad edition vehicles. Better tires, better suspension...be fair in testing.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I used to like Motor Trend until this, you think they'd be a little more educated about the testing samples.

·
Texican
8,572 Posts
I am not sure why they thought road noise from the Jeeps mud tires was a negative factor when this is a 4X4 torture test.
That was biggest chuckle I got out of this video.

"...and the 4 wheel drive system just was not good enough in all the conditions we put it in..."

So you compare a base model FJ (that prolly didn't have A-TRAC or a locker) to a "OffRoad Package" X-Terra? WTF? Go back to reviewing cars, you can sound somewhat intelligent doing that... numb-nuts...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Take it w/a grain of salt. Off-pavement = Off-road to a lot of people. The blog for the "test" mentions the FJ having diff lock, looks like the clown narrating didn't know.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
The FJ had the best "Dune Launch"!

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Yeah, no kidding! The Jeep's was kinda lame, and looked like a little lame in comparison...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
The comments on the FJ were very limited. There was no way to tell what was installed on the FJ. "But also has bad visibility from behind the steering wheel and the 4 WD system was just not good enough in all the conditions that we threw at it". That was pretty much it in regards to the negatives. No mention of atrac or lockers. Maybe they didn't even know how to use it. I can't see the Xterra having a better 4WD system. I read before that the FJ has better on road manners too so the only reason I guess they put the Xterra ahead of the FJ is the price point-which is dumb considering all the other vehicles in the group.

It was a very short video and doesn't have much meat in it.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Be thankful you couldn't hear all of it :) .... the video was rather .... lackluster at best.

HAHA, I was thinking the same thing! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
XTERRA BETTER THAN THE FJ MY A$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :domotwak: Motortrend sucks!! Now thats an analysis that makes sense! :lol:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
THe LR comes in last place because it has street tires, the Jeep gets slapped because of off-road tires? I thought car tests were done with similarly equipped models? Maybe a 4Runner would have been a better match for an Xterra?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts