Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 12 circuit and will be splitting it like in the thread that Shadow Warrior did. I a torn between mounting it under the hood or under the dash. Have any of you mounted one on a plate with the lighting relays or other items under the hood?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is why I am asking here. I am still waiting on it to get here, so I wasn't sure how weatherproof it is. For me, that may not be a huge issue because where I live, it will get wetter at the car wash than on a trail.

But... I suppose I could build up a waterproof box for it. Now you really have me thinking!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I would do something similar to DOFJ as above ^^^

Some member, i think Mike, did something similar and made a simple little bracket that attached to the steering column bolts that held the fuse block.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just got done installing it the other day. Followed Shadow Warriors post with a few changes (Circuit breakers and relays out in the engine bay and the fuse box in the cab) and it came out fine. Just built a bracket to hang the fuse box off of the break pedal mount. Like DOfj's pics. Piece of metal, two holes and a couple of nuts to hold it on the existing bolts and you're all set. Helps to take the seat out which is just four bolts and three electrical connectors under the seat. Really easy.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I mounted mine under the dash like DOfj and others, but it is a PITA to get to. If I was doing it over or another one, I would try putting it behind the passenger-side kick panel. As far as the engine compartment goes, there should be a number of places you could mount it on the fenders or firewall, as long as you're not going to need the real estate later for dual batteries, a compressor, or a CAI. If you put it high enough, water shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I mounted mine inside next to the steering column on a plate big enough to hold the fuse block, a bus bar and several relays. It has worked out well for me.

A big question is where are most of the circuits this fuse block will supply located? If most are inside, it makes more sense to have the fuse block inside and only one large power supply running through the fire wall. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off.... Thanks for all the replies!

NC: I think that is the way I am going as well. I think I'll make a mockup/pattern from cardboard today and cut the metal. I started counting the wires/circuits and as you point out, with the block inside, I will only have to run three wires through the firewall, otherwise all of that has to go out there.

Do you have any problems with kicking it at all with it there?

I mounted mine inside next to the steering column on a plate big enough to hold the fuse block, a bus bar and several relays. It has worked out well for me.

A big question is where are most of the circuits this fuse block will supply located? If most are inside, it makes more sense to have the fuse block inside and only one large power supply running through the fire wall. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went ahead with the under dash idea. After looking at all the pros and cons for me (the mumber and length of wire runs into the engine bay) it just worked out better having it all in the cabin. I made my template for the under dash bracket and picked up all the hardware today. I managed to finish the bracket for the relays and all under the hood. I'll post some pics in a new thread once I get a little further along.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help and advice!

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts

I originally had it under the dash by the brake pedal but it was such an akward position to get to it when needed.

That's i where I mounted mine too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts