Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With everyone posting up their new cargo boxes I thought it was time that I designed one for my FJ. I wanted something that would hold my Echo Star fridge on a slide, have a heavy duty drawer for storage and be flush with the wheel wells in the back. This is just part one. I will be building a section that will over go the back seats when they are folded down to be flat with the cargo box. We have three dogs so we are trying to maximize their space in the rear.
I ordered a 24 inch slide for the drawer on the driver’s side and 30 inch slides for the fridge on the right. Each of the slides are heavy duty and rated for 400 lbs. The only thing I don't like about the slides is that they do not have a stop built into to them so I will have to figure out a way to keep the fridge locked in place while the rear door is open. I even thought about this before I ordered the slides, but to get the stops I would have to upgrade to the Accurides which were about $50 more for each pair.
I took some pointers from FJNewb and recessed a few tie down points that are adjustable.
I used plywood that I got from Home Depot. It is a mix of 3/4, 1/2 and also 3/8. This weighs a lot! I would guess somewhere around 120-130 with the fridge.
The finish didn't come out as well as I had hoped but it does look a lot better than it does in the pics. I first primed all of the wood with Kilz's primer, then used Rustoleum bed liner spray, and then finished up with the DuPont bumper paint to match the other black out. I also had a bunch of this in the garage which played a major roll in the decision to use it.

Here are some pictures. Let me know what you think.

Getting started

Building the frame for the drawer

Test Fit

Mounting the drawer slide

Drawer and fridge slide test

Finished product test fit

With fridge

Fridge on slide

I need to extend the power cord for the fridge (again) and then route the cord better to the fridge. I also allowed a little extra room under the fridge to build a little table that will fold out.

·
fka rsidey
926 Posts
Nice.

Your pics remind me that I need to install my M-Pac rear door rack.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well done.
Now, keep us posted on your 'mobile kennel' mod.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
How many quart capacity is that fridge and how is it secured ?

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
The guy who sold his FJ because he hurt his elbow moving the car seat in and out of the FJ should have just got one of these and put the kid in it. :eek: :jawdrop:

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I decided to rework a few things on my rear cargo box. The cargo box latch needed to be reworked a little and I needed to find a new solution for the fridge latch. While I was at it I decided to give the box a little face lift. At this time I am unsure if I am going to do any sort of finish on it. For the time being I am going to run it for a while and see if it works. If it proves to last on the trail I will most likely look in to doing some sort of paint/carpet to help finish it off a little more.

Reworked cargo latch:
Unlocked

Refridge latch:

With Face Lift and MPAC Pet Barrier: I just tacked some thin plywood to try and clean up the look. Not sure if it is going to last on the trail.

Very nice design and construction.
How is your fridge wired and do you have two batteries?
Fridge is wired to the battery; I cut off the cig adapter and wired it to the battery. I did install a dual battery but I did run the fridge about 6 months without it. I could go 3 days with the fridge running and not driving the FJ without the battery dying. I never tried to go longer, but on day 3 it would hesitate before the starter cranked the engine.

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Few more pics. Also forgot to mention that I secured the fridge to the slide with some bolts and big a$$ washers going up into the fridge where the rubber feet used to mount. It feels very secure, but time will tell. I am tempted to put in a mount that would allow me to put a ratchet strap around it.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Nice Job! It looks real clean...Do you have any space to mount anything on the M-Pac rack towards the fridge side when the door is closed? Is the fridge moved all the way forward to the rear seat?

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Looks great . How did you secure it to the floor ? With the fridge out , must want to tip down .
Redboat

1 - 20 of 23 Posts