Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for sharing! A similar trip is on my Bucket list!

cheers,

dale
You're welcome. We do have to work at making that "Bucket List" a reality, otherwise it doesn't happen. Do make the trip. You won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
11,767 Posts
Been all over and have seen all sorts of mountains, IMO nothing compares to our Rocky Mountains.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
thanks for the pics... it is beatifull
You're welcome.

Been all over and have seen all sorts of mountains, IMO nothing compares to our Rocky Mountains.
I have to agree with you but then again I am somewhat impartial since they are so close to home.

------------------

I culled through both my daughter's photographs and my own and have a few more to post from the trip.

The Athabasca River along Hwy 93 just south of Jasper.

Sunwapta River along Hwy 93 south of Jasper. Note how braided the river is.

Note: Parts of the fossils are distorted.

And more fossils.....

Again, some of the scenery along Hwy 93 heading south.

Marl Lake in the Kananaskis.

Kananaskis Country.

Water flow through the canyon cut by the Sunwapta River just after the Sunwapta Falls.

Note the terminal and lateral moraines from the glacier which has receded up the mountain (Columbia Icefields).

And that is all I have....

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Our Rockies are indeed stunning but the San Juans of Southern Colorado have them beat IMO. There, the combination of red rocks, grey rocks, green alpine tundra and crisp blue sky are absolutely incredible. Our mountains are probably more rugged but the colours of the San Juans are epic. The ability to drive your FJ to 13,000+ ft peaks is a nice bonus too!

·
Registered
304 Posts
That was an awsome set of pics. Thanks so much for sharing. When you live on the east coast you don't get much of a chance to see things like that. Every few years I get to make it out west somewhere. My wife & I are always impressed with the beautiful scenery.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Thanks for sharing your journey and pictures! I will add this to my bucket list.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Wow!
I missed this the first time thru and although we've camped in the San Juans for 40 years, what you posted is awesome.
Being from the desert, those rainy mountains look very beautiful.
Yep, gonna get there some day.
Thanks for the great pics.:)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Our Rockies are indeed stunning but the San Juans of Southern Colorado have them beat IMO. There, the combination of red rocks, grey rocks, green alpine tundra and crisp blue sky are absolutely incredible. Our mountains are probably more rugged but the colours of the San Juans are epic. The ability to drive your FJ to 13,000+ ft peaks is a nice bonus too!

Yes, that photo is beautiful! The colours found in the San Juan Mountains are caused by the high mineral content in the rock. These mountains are part of the U.S. Rockies which are igneous in nature. Unfortunately we don’t have these brilliant colours in the Canadian Rockies since our mountains are sedimentary (along with some metamorphic rock). That said, you do see some beautiful reds in the quartzite from the Gog Formation as you approach Lake Louise on Hwy 93. Unfortunately I don’t have a good picture of this.

dsbike, fj6high and abophx, if you enjoy mountain pictures, check out my "Arctic Circle" trip under Forums, Expeditions and then Planned Expeditions. There are a number of mountain pictures from the Yukon Territory in Canada's north.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yes, it can be. We've had a cool summer (and more rain than normal) this year which is a bit unusual.
That would be an understatement!!

Jferg,
Just saw this thread. Spectacular pix.
If you make it south to Cowtown - send me a PM.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yes, that photo is beautiful! The colours found in the San Juan Mountains are caused by the high mineral content in the rock. These mountains are part of the U.S. Rockies which are igneous in nature. Unfortunately we don’t have these brilliant colours in the Canadian Rockies since our mountains are sedimentary (along with some metamorphic rock). That said, you do see some beautiful reds in the quartzite from the Gog Formation as you approach Lake Louise on Hwy 93. Unfortunately I don’t have a good picture of this.

dsbike, fj6high and abophx, if you enjoy mountain pictures, check out my "Arctic Circle" trip under Forums, Expeditions and then Planned Expeditions. There are a number of mountain pictures from the Yukon Territory in Canada's north.

TiFJ, although these photos don't quite compare to the San Juan Mountains in the U.S. as far as colour goes, they are still pretty vivid. These photos were taken just outside Lake Louise. These are of the Gog Formation and are composed of quartzite (middle Cambrian, about 520 million years old).

21 - 38 of 38 Posts