Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am. In my FJ :) Out West somewhere would be awesome.....road or mtn, doesn't matter to me.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
watkinch said:
hit the kokopeli trail linking Fruita to Moab... PAradise yo! :)

per google......man this looks awesome....how long is the trail?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
I am. In my FJ :) Out West somewhere would be awesome.....road or mtn, doesn't matter to me.
Out west would be cool but West Virginia is closer and has some great rides, it's cheap and there is plenty of white water rafting.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ToyBox said:
Kinda looks a little boring to me. Where's the singletrack?
it's there! :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
I am sorry but isn't this why people buy Elements?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Roosterdo said:
I am sorry but isn't this why people buy Elements?
What to do road trips to go MTB'ing?????............NO!

Jeez that has got to be as good as what the surfer set here are doing.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm down... real close to hurrican/St. George - where is this Fruita trail you speak of?

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Percy said:
I'm down... real close to hurrican/St. George - where is this Fruita trail you speak of?

Is that closer to the Bellagio or Mandolay Bay?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Percy said:
Percy,
Fruita is just west of Grand Junction Colorado. It is less known, but possibly as good of an area for Mountain biking as Moab. The Kokopeli Trail, connects Fruita to Moab using a series of Single track trails, 4x4 trails and dirt roads. It's about 147 miles and people usually do it in 4 days. 3 days is not too bad, and I have a couple friends who have done it in 2 days (which is pretty hardcore) You generally have support vehicles meet you every night for camp, food and drink. It's probably not the best outing for the FJs, because those of us riding the trail wouldn't be driving the Cruisers.

I had more envisioned something like a long weekend in Moab, with some early rising, a nice 4 - 6 hour ride in the morning, back to town for lunch and a shower, then take the cruisers out for an afternoon drive Moab style. Back to town for some good grub and then off to bed. Next day <repeat>

September is a wonderful time to be out there. It's not too hot, not too cold, and there aren't as many "Moab events" going on. Could be fun...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I know of that place I had no idea that it connected all the way to Moab. That would rock. I love Colorado. That would RULE!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Gnzo said:
Percy,
Fruita is just west of Grand Junction Colorado. It is less known, but possibly as good of an area for Mountain biking as Moab. The Kokopeli Trail, connects Fruita to Moab using a series of Single track trails, 4x4 trails and dirt roads. It's about 147 miles and people usually do it in 4 days. 3 days is not too bad, and I have a couple friends who have done it in 2 days (which is pretty hardcore) You generally have support vehicles meet you every night for camp, food and drink. It's probably not the best outing for the FJs, because those of us riding the trail wouldn't be driving the Cruisers.

I had more envisioned something like a long weekend in Moab, with some early rising, a nice 4 - 6 hour ride in the morning, back to town for lunch and a shower, then take the cruisers out for an afternoon drive Moab style. Back to town for some good grub and then off to bed. Next day <repeat>

September is a wonderful time to be out there. It's not too hot, not too cold, and there aren't as many "Moab events" going on. Could be fun...
Isn't that why people but Elements? Hold it I think I am repeating myself...ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh so that's where those 2x4 are going!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've been to Moab a couple of times and it's an absolute blast. You can drive whatever you want if you're just biking - if you want to take your vehicle off-road, you aren't going to be doing it in an Element. Because the bikers share the trail with the rock crawlers, we got to watch a few and I was amazed at the areas you can get a vehicle through. Definite FJ country.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bump. bringing back an old thread :)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I've got a video clip of a couple of buddies coming off of Poison Spider Mesa on the trail that drops from the top down to the river. It scares the life out of most of the people who have seen it. For anyone who isn't aware of it, it's a trail that traverses the face of what can only be described as a sheer cliff. I took a video camera along when we did it and periodically got off to film my buddies.

I'm always up for Moab. Haven't done Fruita yet, but have several friends who have. They day it's a must do. I am going to be in Telluride the end of July for the Telluride Rotary 4x4 Tour. Great 4 wheeling. The mountain biking and road riding are superb as well. I like riding my road bike in Telluride more than any other area of Colorado. Crested Butte is my destination of choice for mountain biking.

Jim

·
Registered
244 Posts
My liscense plate says "MMM Moab".. 'nuff said!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've got a video clip of a couple of buddies coming off of Poison Spider Mesa on the trail that drops from the top down to the river. It scares the life out of most of the people who have seen it. For anyone who isn't aware of it, it's a trail that traverses the face of what can only be described as a sheer cliff. I took a video camera along when we did it and periodically got off to film my buddies.

I'm always up for Moab. Haven't done Fruita yet, but have several friends who have. They day it's a must do. I am going to be in Telluride the end of July for the Telluride Rotary 4x4 Tour. Great 4 wheeling. The mountain biking and road riding are superb as well. I like riding my road bike in Telluride more than any other area of Colorado. Crested Butte is my destination of choice for mountain biking.

Jim
Last fall when a couple of buddies did the Portal Trail (sheer cliff); I was more than happy to take Poison Spider home :)

Portal Trail (Sheer Cliff):

PS - Bike 2.jpg PS - Bike 3.jpg

Poison Spider (not me as I had gone first and was taking pics):

PS - Bike.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts