Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this at a Container store and found it quite useful so I thought I would pass it on. It is called the Mountainsmith Modular Hauler 3 System. I bought it for $49.95

The packing compartment is 15"H x 25"W x 15"D and each of the 3 cubes are 15x15x7.5. Total volume is 1600 cubic inches.

The container has tie-down loops so you can strap it down in the truck. The 3 cubes have a "fully weatherproof interior and zippered laminated mesh lid to keep your clothing or gear dry and visible." They have a clear pocket on top to slide in a packing list for each cube.

It is very flexible, you can carry the whole thing or just bring the cube(s) you need. It really helped me organize the Fj as before I always has a pile of stuff in the back seat.

I keep a rain jacket, heavier coat, fleece pullover and hat and gloves in one; avalanche shovel, water bottles, purifying tablets, and some other misc. gear in the second; and a small backpack and other gear in the third.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks like it might be something I would be interested in. What store did you find it in? Seems like there was a backpack by the same name. Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it from: The Container Store

Mountainsmith does make backpacks, camera bags, and other types of luggage.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Out in the NW Joes Sporting Goods has nearly the same thing. Has 4 bags instead of 3. Works pretty well. Suprised at your price though, paid $19 on sale special last fall in portland.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've been using that same organizer for a while now I am very happy about it they also have a cooler which fits very nicely on the floor behind the seats. Just the fact that they are padded is a great safety factor for me. Thule also make a smilar product also check out their seat side organizer on their site.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
nice

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Mountainsmith makes a great product. I've been using their packs and modular accessories for years.

Everything used to be hand made, but I'm not sure if that still is the case.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Mountainsmith makes a great product. I've been using their packs and modular accessories for years.

Everything used to be hand made, but I'm not sure if that still is the case.
How rugged are they? I'm asking because if they're co-mingled with the "stuff" I carry in the back I'm curious how easily they're ripped. I'm hard on soft bags and have a wide assortment of Pelican cases at the house - however I like the idea of the tri-modular storage, etc.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
How rugged are they? I'm asking because if they're co-mingled with the "stuff" I carry in the back I'm curious how easily they're ripped. I'm hard on soft bags and have a wide assortment of Pelican cases at the house - however I like the idea of the tri-modular storage, etc.
I can't really say how rugged these are, but my pack has taken one hell of a beating. The only damage incurred is one pack stay wearing through the inside and the inside water barrier needing a good recoat. Other than that, they are perfect. Keep in mind that this is from years of trail abuse. Also remember that Mountainsmith pretty much custom made everything by hand and had a lifetime warranty.

I also have one of their lumbar packs strapped inside the back as my medical/survival pack. This was bought years ago as a modular supplement to the bigger pack mentioned above. It hasn't seen the abuse that its big brother has, but I have no question that it will last for many years.

I admit that as of late, Mountainsmith's product have become more and more mainstream and seemingly mass produced (sold at The Container Store?), but I haven't really had the need to eyeball the quality of today because the ones I have refuse to die.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
We have the 4 "cubes" system for awhile now..

they are decent if you handle them with care (or put only clothing items in it).. we have one bag "ripped" that has our kitchen gears in, it's not extra heavy or anything, just oddly shaped. Three of the 4 sides of the top came off, but the strap stays..

I dont know if I just got a defective one or something, I also havent send it in for warranty service yet (it's been awhile so I dont know if it's still good for that..) but I went and purchased a replacement and we only put clothing items in them now. (and they work just fine.. )

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
I've had Mountainsmith stuff from their inception, they sponsored a "high level" mountain bike team I managed. Their stuff has proven to be very durable and long lasting. The packs I got from them in the mid 90's is still being used and none have ripped or lost a zipper.

I haven't seen this system by them, however, going on their past products, I would expect these to last as well...

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
they are decent if you handle them with care (or put only clothing items in it).. we have one bag "ripped" that has our kitchen gears in, it's not extra heavy or anything, just oddly shaped. Three of the 4 sides of the top came off, but the strap stays..
That is the sort of abuse I tend to give equipment. Even if it's not carrying heavy or sharp gear, it will likely come into contact with heavy or sharp gear bouncing around in the back of the truck. When I read that you could "see what is inside" I thought to myself that maybe it's not robust enough for my peculiar uses. I find that heavy canvas works better for me than any of the newer "modern" fabrics when it comes to storage bags. I use a parachute bag (B-4 Bag) to store my clothes, for example.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Thule also make a smilar product also check out their seat side organizer on their site.
We have used the Thule organizer in the back seat for quite a while now, it holds a ton. They also make larger units for the cargo area.

Here is a write up I did on the the side seat organizer a while back.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/springtail-solutions/42846-thule-go-tote-bin-review.html

The mountainsmith product looks really useful, thanks for the info

Doc

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The material looks pretty strong, like they use for their backpacks. Also the outer bag is made of heavier material than the cubes, which will absorb most of the abuse. I have some Pelican cases too, what I like about the soft cases as they are more flexible and can pack better sometimes.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
For the price, it looks worth a try. The Thule looks handy as well. Good finds :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts