Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any thoughts on mounting a gas tank on roof rack of an FJ Cruiser? Looking at a Flo n Go, or a John Dow pump station, any suggestions or recommendations. Please provide a pic of your setup if possible. Thank you?

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
49 Posts
Don't forget sun heat the tank and gas expand. Plastic produce static and you don't want to mess with fire on top off you roof .Posible not to pass States inspections.
Canister different story. Personal I will trust only metal canisters. Never take a chance.
My self have over 20 years experience transporting gas to stations and see many bad things happen when someone mess with gas liquid and most denger vapors what nobody see.
See people doing many times for boats and one day will happen to ignites.
See some YouTube video when happen.
Up to you and be safe.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,870 Posts
Might depend on your use for it. If you are about to hit the Dalton Highway....sure a boat tank on the roof would probably get 'er' done.

If you just dont want to fill up as much around town or just want to be tacti-cool, then its probably an unnecessary risk. Also what happens when crack-head-Joe wants to steal some gas....does so crappily, and ruins all your paint because you mounted gas on your roof.

The tried and true method is jerry cans on a rear swingout, or rotopax. Youll get absolute mad bro points at the store, but they are also safer and you can just run them empty in the down time between your extreme overlanding trips.

There is also the auxiliary gas tank route - most of us are too poor to get that for funsies.

·
A-Team Moderator
10,778 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
Might depend on your use for it. If you are about to hit the Dalton Highway....sure a boat tank on the roof would probably get 'er' done.

If you just dont want to fill up as much around town or just want to be tacti-cool, then its probably an unnecessary risk. Also what happens when crack-head-Joe wants to steal some gas....does so crappily, and ruins all your paint because you mounted gas on your roof.

The tried and true method is jerry cans on a rear swingout, or rotopax. Youll get absolute mad bro points at the store, but they are also safer and you can just run them empty in the down time between your extreme overlanding trips.

There is also the auxiliary gas tank route - most of us are too poor to get that for funsies.
^^^ This.

IMO it is having any form of fuel storage on the roof is poor choice. To me, the best solution outside of an auxiliary tank are the Sceptre Military Fuel cans. I have been running them for years with zero leaks or problems. They have been stored (full and empty) inside the FJ, outside the FJ, on a trailer, upright, flat, stacked like pancakes, tough as nails and you can empty 5 gallons in 1 min.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys. Thank you all so much for the helpful comments and feedback concerning mounting/placing gas tanks on the top rack of my FJ Cruiser. After some further review; think I will pass on these external tanks and just manage trips with the internal tank. Thank you all and happy FJ Cruisin...

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
So without a auxiliary gas tank where would you carry 15-20 gallons of fuel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is 20 gallons, still plenty of room between the cans and the back of the seat for other equipment, shuffle the cans to one side and still more room. There is enough space behind each seat for a can. That's 30 gallons add another can on either side of the spare and I'm at 40 gallons.
Fuel is the priority for me not so much a fridge, platform, compressor etc. it made me rethink - what I pack vs what I really need.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is 20 gallons, still plenty of room between the cans and the back of the seat for other equipment, shuffle the cans to one side and still more room. There is enough space behind each seat for a can. That's 30 gallons add another can on either side of the spare and I'm at 40 gallons.
Fuel is the priority for me not so much a fridge, platform, compressor etc. it made me rethink - what I pack vs what I really need.
Hi there. Thank you for the photo. Handy fuel can set-up; no need to worry about running empty and using the thumb for a ride...lol...will check on these cans as a possible option. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Mike where did you buy those cans ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are these plastic or metal?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Come on you got to know better than that. The reason One of the most common reason to carry fuel would be because you were not going to be around fuel station. The most common situation would most likely require overnight situations.... [email protected] it it isn’t worth my effort

·
Registered
807 Posts
Sceptre's website is here, military line that Mikey recommends on the right side of the page.
The really big internet bookstore has them, as does Lowes, TSC, etc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sceptre's website is here, military line that Mikey recommends on the right side of the page.
The really big internet bookstore has them, as does Lowes, TSC, etc.
Thank you for where to buy these Scepter Military fuel cans. These might just be what I'm looking for.

·
Desert Moderator
6,634 Posts
I have the factory aux tank, and it's great. It'll give me 1100+km range on the blacktop. If I need additional range, I can either manage my refuelling points or carry some additional fuel in cans.
The furthest I can realistically travel in one direction from home is 1500km down to Salalah on the Oman/Yemen border. I could do that run with an additional 80L of fuel. One strategy would be to carry 4 jerry cans, or refuel just before the UAE/Oman border and do it with 3 cans, but I'd still need to get back home and that's gonna require an additional 240 litres plus whatever I need to run trails / explore down there and any side trips on the route there & back. Likely I'd need 640 litres. so the most practical solution would be to carry 2 jerry cans, refuel once on the way there, refuel there twice, and refuel again on the way back. The 40L in jerry cans would just be in case of miscalculation...
of course, I cold also get 5 x 100L fuel bladders and chuck them on the roof, but it might look strange...

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
Come on you got to know better than that. The reason One of the most common reason to carry fuel would be because you were not going to be around fuel station. The most common situation would most likely require overnight situations.... [email protected] it it isn’t worth my effort

Make it worth the effort and explain.

I'm just presenting options.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Typical need for gas is because you’re going into the backcountry. You are typically going for at least 1 night. Typically you will need water, food, tools, parts, bedroll, ice chest maybe for 2 people. With those cans mounted as you show I don’t see it happening. The purpose for gas as you are mounted would for transportation of fuel from gas station to boat ramp or some other similar applications

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
Carrying 4 cans like that (3 fuel and 1 water) the first time - I wasn't sure how everything I wanted to bring was going to fit. As mentioned earlier over time I have learned how to scale down my load to exactly what is needed for 2 people. Again, that is just one option of how to carry additional fuel.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts