Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased 3 separate 8 inch light bars. I would like to mount all 3 on the front of my roof rack. My idea is that I move one of the cross bars to very front, bolt down a 90° angled metal piece measuring the full length of the cross bar. I would then drill into the forward facing plate on the angled metal piece and mount each light bar. Would this work? Is the weight to much stress on the crossbaf? Any other ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
Re: Mounting light bar to oem roof rack

Try this:

https://www.amazon.com/TFJ5FLR-Textured-Mounts-Toyota-Cruiser/dp/B001P2ARZ0/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Toyota|76&Model=FJ Cruiser|2850&Year=2007|2007&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

You get plenty of tabs to bolt things to - can make extra bars to bridge between tabs to fit your lights the way you want.

I got my light bar in '07 a couple months after the FJ - it is round and designed to mount standard round lights, 3 of them. I bolted flat steel between the original light tabs and got my light sets on fine. PM me if you want a pic....

·
Registered
409 Posts

Buy a bar that bridges the entire rack - like my old one does.

Then buy a piece of flat steel from Home Depot or Lowes. Bolt the steel to the mounting tabs on the bar as you get it from whoever.

Then place and mark the holes you need for your lights. Take the flat steel piece down and drill the holes, and paint it with bedliner. Bolt it back to the light bar and now bolt on your lights in the holes you drilled in the flat bar steel.

I'll take a pic of mine and post here...

·
Registered
409 Posts

This is an old (2007) light bar before LED's were a thing. It mounts directly to the rack - made for FJC.

It had two holes for two lights - not enough. So I took a piece of flat steel and bolted it to the tabs the lights were supposed to go in. That way I could drill my own holes.

I have 6 lights mounted - hunting pairgreen and two big LEDs that make nite into day.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet rig 🤘. I'll definitely go with that bar mount. Going to do some digging and find the cheapest one (university life budget). Thanks.

·
Registered
409 Posts

You can make a cheap one, you know? Buy a pair of rack clamps and a bar of flat steel - that's it.

Rack clamps are here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RZNQQMN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cut a piece of flat steel to go across the rack and about an inch past the rack bars. Drill 2 holes to use the clamps and strap the rig on. Mark the holes for your lights and drill them. Paint it with bedliner. Use zip ties to secure your wiring.

You will need to buy some large, clear vinyl tubing. Cut a short piece off (like 3/4" long) and then cut that in half. Use half behind each rack clamp and the friction will not let the clamps move, and makes the 2" clamps fit your 1.75" rack bars.

You can mount the lights anywhere on the roof. You might have to drill a couple more holes, since the FJC roof rack isn't square (which is why your rack crossbars are in two sets of different lengths).

If you are on a budget, that will get the lights up cheap. It's how I mounted my solar panel - and it's tight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So that rock clamp you linked fits the tubing (frame) of the roof rack, when combined with that peice of rubber spacer? I then wouldn't even need to touch the oem cross bars, right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts