Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a set of Polk Momo component 6.5's for $150 at Fry's. A pretty good deal if you ask me. My question is where are you guys mounting your tweeters? I was thinking of ripping out the dash speakers and putting them under that grill. I am also considering mounting them on the silver portions on the front left and right of my dash. Where would be the best place asthetically and acoustically? Cheers

·
Banned
463 Posts
I would say that the tweeters in the factory dash location would give you better imaging. If they're in the a/c vents then the sound is coming out and the closest thing it would bounce off of is you and probably quickly dissipate. In the factory location, the sound will bounce off the windshield, hitting your ears quicker and making for a better sound stage.

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
my last tacoma had them in the door, near the window. but im sure thats not the best place for staging. you could always have cusotme kick panels built

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Polk Momo 6.5s as well. I mounted mine in the factory dash location. i took out the stock speakers, and cut them out of the bracket with some tin snips. The flush mount hardware for the Momo's fits perfectly into the opening left by the original speaker.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Not to be rude, but why did you go with Polk? I listened to Polk and Infinity at Fry's and Infinity had much better mids and highs...each to their own I guess. I put my 3.5" Infinity Loud speaker in the stock dash location...however the BEST POSSIBLE position for a tweeter would be mounted in the A-Pillar, that way it is able to give out it's sound perfectly, but to do this right you'd need it fiberglassed or have to be VERY VERY good with a dremel. Perfect imaging is very hard to do :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats not rude fear. First of all I thought that the polks had a more balanced sound (to my ear). I have a 12" JBL to cover the low end so I was primarily concerned with the mids and highs. Plus these were $150 for the pair.

I think that I will mount them in the factory tweeter location. Thanks for the advice yall.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Not to be rude, but why did you go with Polk? I listened to Polk and Infinity at Fry's and Infinity had much better mids and highs...each to their own I guess. I put my 3.5" Infinity Loud speaker in the stock dash location...however the BEST POSSIBLE position for a tweeter would be mounted in the A-Pillar, that way it is able to give out it's sound perfectly, but to do this right you'd need it fiberglassed or have to be VERY VERY good with a dremel. Perfect imaging is very hard to do :(
so a hi-speed hole saw doesnt work? no need for fiberglass or dremels. thats all i ever use.

for what its worth, i have got great results with the tweeters in the dash with no time delay processing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
this is a 3 year old post but what the heck....i was just wondering how much "mid" bass you loose by replacing the OEM dash speakers with tweeters. I just ordered a pair of tweeters and dont know where i want to put them....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts