Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
changed AC filter today and found a damn mouse nest on top of filter. Had chewed out pile of insulation from firewall and looks like some other rubber parts as well. Wonder where the heck the mouse got in?? Any ideas would be helpful, Thanks!

have 2013 fJ

Attachments

· Registered
619 Posts
I had one the other week at the shop, complaint was ticking noise with ac blower on and a chemical smell... the smell was death!! the ticking noise was the dead mouse in the blower and its tail was sticking through the wheel hitting everything as it was spinning. no idea how it got in the vehicle but, they can get into anything.

· Registered
412 Posts
Had this problem in my Suzuki Grand Vitara 3 years ago, damn does this problem suck. What was worse is that at least in the summer time you can roll down the window if it's hot but this happened to me in October in CT :( the smell was so bad I remember somedays I wouldn't even turn on heater cause it smelt so bad and just layered up more than usual

· I Have a V-8!! Moderator
77,418 Posts
Reactions: Winterpeg

· Registered
2,891 Posts
Okay, here's the deal, the wire manufacture's use soy based material for the wire insulation and thus the resulting rodent issues that are sure to continue...
The solution is to put moth balls in a porous satchel in the engine compartment to make it not so appetizing.... Replace every six months or so for maximum effectiveness...
Your results may vary. :lol:

:wave:

· Registered
2,998 Posts
Mice (as well as others) LOVE FJ's.

I caught these BARSTARDS trying to carry my FJ off.

Soil Rock

Actually they were just running all around camp looking for food.

· Premium Member
588 Posts
Okay, here's the deal, the wire manufacture's use soy based material for the wire insulation and thus the resulting rodent issues that are sure to continue...
The solution is to put moth balls in a porous satchel in the engine compartment to make it not so appetizing.... Replace every six months or so for maximum effectiveness...
Your results may vary. :lol:

:wave:
Not sure if I'd rather smell dead mouse or mothballs. Maybe put a couple traps under your car?

· Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Mice (as well as others) LOVE FJ's.

I caught these BARSTARDS trying to eat my FJ.

View attachment 433618

Going to try the moth ball trick. Thanks

Wow, where did you catch all those. Looks like they had a party in your Fj.

That's one hell of a trophy shot?

Reactions: Moab Junky

· Premium Member
4,548 Posts
My x mother in law said good kitty when her cat killed its first mouse in the house. Their back yard was all woods. The next morning she woke up with 10 dead mice on her bed spread and a cat just stairing at her waiting for more praise..

· Registered
2,998 Posts
Wow, where did you catch all those. Looks like they had a party in your Fj.

That's one hell of a trophy shot��
I took the FJ and the boat down a 20 mile long dirt road to the lake. About midnight these barstards were running everywhere. Non of them actually got inside, nonetheless I just had to kill as many as I could.

I put one large flat piece of sand stone on top of the other. Smashed a sausage patty in between and propped the top rock up with a short stick with a 20 foot rope tied to it. Mousy went under rock for treat, I pulled on the rope, the little barstard got squished. Made two traps. I just sat in the lawn chair with a rope in each hand. Good action for a couple hours.

· Registered
1,179 Posts
It seems like i have seen others use the wire mesh to keep the little buggers out of the air filter boxes.

· Admin
6,861 Posts
After checking the FJ air vents, I think the mouse came in the oversized Toyota fresh air intake vent holes. working on a solution but have a temporary one by cutting black aluminum screen and attaching it to the top of the outside air intake..
Hmm do those vent covers just pop out? in which case a permanent mesh on the underside might help?

· Registered
339 Posts
My son bought a used Prius that was fine until summer, when it started emitting a terrible odor when he turned on the A/C for the first time. You all know what the cause was I am sure - dead mouse in the ventwork. He had it cleaned out and disinfected, and within a month got another mouse in there - no idea how. Not sure if the mice prefer Toyotas or what - never heard of this before my son's incident.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.