Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you wanted to do a Jed Clampett impersonation with your FJ, how would you do it? Should the back seats be removed and strapped up on the roof rack? Rent a trailer or buy one and resell it? Have any of you here used your FJ to move? If so, could you tell me about it?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Well it depends on how much you are moving. Moving out to Colorado see the picture below. Moving back to Michigan I had the totes mounted up on the roof rack because I had 4 33's mounted on rims on the rack. Moving around Michigan I used a small utility trailer or motorcyle trailer. The trailer is definitely the easiest way.

Though anyway you cut it easier then when I moved to Florida in a Civic :lol:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I've moved in my FJ before, I wouldn't recommend removing the rear seats. They are a pain in the ass to get back in. Not to mention, you won't gain enough space to make it worth it.

I just borrowed my parent's trailer, and put my electronics (tv,computer, etc) in the FJ for the drive.
A trailer is your best bet, especially if its enclosed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've done it twice, and one time I had to get a friend with a truck to help me move the big stuff.

second time we put all the big things in a UHaul (Washer, drier, bed, boxes of clothes, pictures, kitchen stuff, dining room table, furniture, etc.)... the electronics (TV, Media stuff, computers, etc.) I placed on the back seat and strapped them down useing 550cord (courtsey of the US Army) tied around to the rear of the back seat, and put my firearms on the floor of the back seat wraped in blankets.
I kept the trunk empty for last minute things such as the toiletries and cleaning supplies that we used to close out the house before locking the door and leaving.

I kept the passenger side seat empty for a cooler and any snacks for the road.

PS: look if you decide to use the UHaul trailer methode look at the storage unit websites. They have estimations you can use for what size you need and how to pack what you have... this will help you get the correct size UHaul.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Get a trailer, save the stress, depending on how much you have to move. I've moved many times and used a 6x12 uhaul and had the back full. It did pretty good and handled a couple of emergency maneuvers just fine (beware hwy 63 between Edmonton and Ft. MacMurry, highway of death/stupid drivers).

If using a uhaul, check the tires, each time they have had flats. No one checks them at the depot.

·
Premium Member
4,718 Posts
Should the back seats be removed and strapped up on the roof rack? Rent a trailer or buy one and resell it? Have any of you here used your FJ to move? If so, could you tell me about it?
I moved from Texas to Colorado 3 years ago. I moved an entire house so a moving truck had all the big stuff (furniture) and the FJ only had the expensive/breakable stuff (computers, plasma TV, guns).

The FJ seats lay flat and make a ton of room, no reason to remove them. The FJ's towing limit is 5000 pounds, so so you can pull a pretty good sized U-Haul trailer behind it. I definitely wouldn't buy a trailer and then re-sell it, it's not worth the hassle.

How much stuff are you moving? What's the biggest item?

·
Premium Member
16,487 Posts
I would get a trailer for the move. I have moved once and I used a trailer to haul my stuff. :wave:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have moved all across the country in mine courtesy of uncle sugar. I would recommend a trailer if you can afford it if not a hitch haul and a roof top bag helped greatly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
396 Posts
Last time I moved I bought a use 6 x 12 trailer filled it up moved left stuff in the trailer sort of like a shed until I had the spot or needed it. When I emptied the trailer I sold it for about what I paid for it. That was from MO to OH. I just moved my daughter from WA to MI I had an old Mustang at her house out there I looked for rental trailers to haul it back and the cost was stupid and most of them would not rent a flat bed car trailer to you unless you rented their truck to pull it. I bought a trailer again pulled it cross country and sold it for the same price I bought if for. I do the buy and sell thing.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Be careful with sharp objects and the plastic components inside. They can be easily scratched.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Get a trailer. Relatively small price for something that can help you quite a bit.

·
Banned
1 Posts
I've done it twice, and one time I had to get a friend with a truck to help me move the big stuff.

second time we put all the big things in a UHaul (Washer, drier, bed, boxes of clothes, pictures, kitchen stuff, dining room table, furniture, etc.)... the electronics (TV, Media stuff, computers, etc.) I placed on the back seat and strapped them down useing 550cord (courtsey of the US Army) tied around to the rear of the back seat, and put my firearms on the floor of the back seat wraped in blankets.
I kept the trunk empty for last minute things such as the toiletries and cleaning supplies that we used to close out the house before locking the door and leaving.

I kept the passenger side seat empty for a cooler and any snacks for the road.

PS: look if you decide to use the UHaul trailer methode look at the storage unit websites. They have estimations you can use for what size you need and how to pack what you have... this will help you get the correct size UHaul.
Well it depends on how much you are moving. Moving out to Colorado see the picture below. Moving back to Michigan I had the totes mounted up on the roof rack because I had 4 33's mounted on rims on the rack. Moving around Michigan I used a small utility trailer or motorcyle trailer. The trailer is definitely the easiest way.
Recommend! Packing and moving companies near me, Springfield , VA – professional services, cost - 703-291-0881!
Though anyway you cut it easier then when I moved to Florida in a Civic :lol:

packing and moving companies near me

how did it work out?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts