Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a few tips here guys.

My wife and I are deciding to move to Hawaii, from Alaska. The FJ is a great vehicle for AK, just wondering if it really can serve it's purpose in Hawaii. My wife is an avid competitor in the Kona Ironman 70.3 and we travel to Kona/Oahu all the time. So we decided we might as well move there.

Anyways, with gas prices getting closer to $5/gal in Hawaii, I just wanted to make sure it was a good choice to move the FJ with us. Up here in Alaska, the things we can do with the FJ more then outweigh the price of gas. If I can still go wheelin' in Oahu, I may reconsider selling the FJ. But as it sits now, we may just take our Subaru Legacy sedan down there and I'll just have to buy a motorcycle. I'll miss the FJ though.

Here's your chance to chime in. Is the FJ a realistic vehicle for Oahu? I've been just about everywhere on the island (without looking for wheelin' spots) and it seems as though it'd be more of a waste of fuel then it was worth.

I'd love for you all to change my mind though. :bigthumb:

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
I haven't lived in Hawaii since 2000 but I would say keep it. It's not like your going to be able to drive very far in it, the island is not very big. The local guys on the forum might be able to better answer the offroading situation. When I lived there, I would have liked to have had a 4X4.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Oh yes! On our trip out there I kept wishing I had the FJ. They rent TONS of Jeeps just for that purpose.I remember 1 legit road that actaully went THROUGH a river.

·
Registered
260 Posts
IMO i'd rather drive the Fj than the Subaru no matter what the price of gas. But I do understand your dilemma. Good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I jumped over to Aloha FJ Cruiser forum and spoke with Fixxer. Looks like I'll be getting up with him when I show up in June. I'm sure he will probably convince me to keep it and I look forward to being convinced.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh you need to keep the FJ. If fuel is an issue sell the subaru and put that money in the bank for fuel.:cheers:
I laughed my ass off on this comment. Thanks for that.

I think this thread may have been a knee jerk reaction to the cost its going to take to move both vehicles, etc etc... Who knows.

I really want to keep it. Wife and I both love the FJ. I'm playing the Jedi mind trick now and working on paying off the FJ before we move, then just buy a bike when we get there as to compensate for the price of fuel! haha. I'll just keep working in Alaska and commute back and forth to the Slope.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Howzit Wildman,

Hope you decide to keep it. We need more FJ owners over here who are willing to get out and get dirty.
Hope to meet up with you soon.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Well sounds like your keeping it i`m with ditching the subaru also.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Howzit Wildman,

Hope you decide to keep it. We need more FJ owners over here who are willing to get out and get dirty.
Hope to meet up with you soon.
Fixxer, I'll definitely give you a call in the next few days. Work has been busy, barely having time to talk with my wife. I work 2 weeks on location and get 2 weeks off at home. Work location is 1800 miles from home, so the lady is first priority during off hours. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well sounds like your keeping it i`m with ditching the subaru also.
Well, I definitely won't be ditching the Subaru (It was a gift to my wife from me... so technically it's her car, in my name... You know how it is)

I have a plan in mind to pay off one of our vehicles before we move down there, then pick up a bike as a DD, instead of the FJ.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
fka rsidey
926 Posts
I can't speak for Oahu but have spent a good deal of time on the big island and would have loved an FJ.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like you already have a bike! and its easy to transport as your carry on.

Sadly, my 3 year old nephew thieved it from me. Haha. It was my present to him after one Halloween he decided to dress up as Uncle Matt the 'Motorcycle Man'

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
There are two issues I would take into consideration. First one you have already mentioned, transport costs. The second would be taxes. Many states charge a tax to bring out of state vehicles into their state. It seems like it is their way of making up for the sales tax you would have paid if you had purchased the vehicle in their state.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are two issues I would take into consideration. First one you have already mentioned, transport costs. The second would be taxes. Many states charge a tax to bring out of state vehicles into their state. It seems like it is their way of making up for the sales tax you would have paid if you had purchased the vehicle in their state.
Yea, Been there done that. I took an AK vehicle and registered it in Nebraska for a couple years of college. Figured the registration would be close to the same as Alaska, I was surprised to see such a huge state tax addition to the regs. Total cost was around $350 for two years. In AK, I paid $65 for two years.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts