Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys and gals, the family and I are moving to Phoenix Arizona! I have taken a position with a company in Phoenix, near the upper tip of the South Mountain Park area (near the Arizona Grand Resort Golf Course).

Well, technically we're moving to one of the cities that makes up the greater Phoenix area. Which leads me to my first question: is traffic as bad in Phoenix as it sounds? We're looking at housing in the southeast quadrant, near Gilbert, Chandler, Awhatukee...possibly Mesa or Tempe as well. Using the "arrive by 8:00 on Tuesday" feature on google maps, it looks like a 17 mile drive will take between 28 minutes to 1 hour!!! Should I expect to be sitting in traffic every day? :(

Secondly, I'm looking forward to getting out there and meeting some of you guys and gals! Do yall get together to do trail runs/off-road excursions in the area? Big group or a couple of people on a whim? I like to stick to the "don't wheel alone" rule, especially in tougher terrain. I also wouldn't mind doing a lot of solo (family) exploration trips less in challenging areas where I'm not at risk of getting stuck, breaking something, or generally needing a spotter.

As you can probably see, we're moving from North Carolina where there's not a lot of options for off-roading, but if you decide to go somewhere a week or three out you can usually find someone to tag along. I'm lifted, skidded, etc, and while I don't mind putting them to use I don't want to beat the fool out of our (my wife's) rig. But we sure do like exploring!

Any other advice you have for newcomers to the state, feel free to chime in. We've never lived outside of NC, though we have driven out for the FJ Summit twice and drove to the Grand Canyon and Moab as part of that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I lived there for many years. There are things that I miss. Traffic isn't one of them! I started leaving for work way early before the traffic got bad. But I was on call 24/7 so got bit many times.
I honestly can't say that one suburb has less traffic problems than another. That place has gotten huge.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,001 Posts
Congrats! Jealous...such great access to wonderful places to explore, and a welcoming, active group of FJ folks...introduce yourself on AZFJ.com!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congrats! Jealous...such great access to wonderful places to explore, and a welcoming, active group of FJ folks...introduce yourself on AZFJ.com!

actually it's azfj.org. There are several of us that make it out every weekend to places all over the east side of town. You are more than welcome to tag along if you like

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome! I live in Goodyear AZ, Southwest region, and traffic is horrible everyday. Haha. I feel like we just don't have a big enough freeway system for the population now. They are building onto a lot of the existing ones, but wont be done till around 2020.

·
A-Team Moderator
9,519 Posts
The traffic sucks, but the strip clubs, gun ranges and off roading makes up for it. >:D Plus it's a Constitutional Carry State. :armed:

I don't miss the 115* summers. If you work outside, you start early and are done by 11 am. :thinkerg: Get a house with a pool. ;)

Good Luck on your new Adventure! :wave:

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
I don't miss the 115* summers. If you work outside, you start early and are done by 11 am. :thinkerg: Get a house with a pool. ;)

Good Luck on your new Adventure! :wave:
I understand the pools have water coolers out there. I can't take that heat, if the soles of your shoes melt when you walk on pavement IT"S TO DAMN HOT!!!:flame::flame::flame:

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
@blueJack As mentioned above AZ is a great place for FJ adventures so definitely register on AZFJ.org and introduce yourself! Our group has members from all over AZ so you can always find someone who has probably done some trail you want to explore.

Drink lots of water. Explore new trails with other vehicles. Rinse. Repeat.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well here I am 2 years later, thought I would post an update!

I live in Gilbert and drive 12.5 miles west one way to work. 25 to 35 minutes depending on time of year, taking surface streets rather than the 60. I know coworkers who have to drive north to south in the city and traffic is bad for them. Not terrible for me.

I love living here though! In NC there were 4 places to off-road. Here I have a trail book with literally 100 trails! We don’t get out every weekend, but we have more here than ever and we really enjoy it.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Glad that you're enjoying it there. I spent many years around the PHX area and outlying bases. I don't miss the traffic. Sometimes commuting from Mesa to Goodyear. Yes lots of great places to wheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts