Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa brought me an MP3 player. This may sound like a stupid question to all you gadget-happy youngsters, but how exactly do I connect it to the FJ sound system? The player is a Creative Nomad with 3 holes: USB, power/recharge, and headphones.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I believe the port on the console is for the power connection. I would assume that the stereo itself will have an "in" port for the actual mp3 connection. We may have to purchase some kind of adapter.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
The close up shots of the center console have aux input for the audio under the rubber plug/cover labeled simply "AUX" (it's located right below the 12V power plug) It lifts up from the right side exposing a "headphone" type jack as the auxiliary input point for the audio system....keeps it "closer to hand" to switch songs on your MP3 player which would probably be closer to the plug at it's lower than the radio location above and less cord length strung across the cab

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Aaaah, dirka dirka dirka....

I wondered how that was going to work. I figured we'd have to hardwire somekind of harness to the back of the stocker stereo... That's good to know. When I looked at the port at SEMA, it really didn't make much sense at the time. Thanks for that Rover... Welcome to it, by the way.

Watch out for these guys. We are vicious lustful bunch that tend to attack without warning. It's all in good fun.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
It could also handle an equally retro "cassette" walkman or digital audio tape (or sound output from video game consoles plugged into the AC inverter with the inevitable headrest TV monitors available aftermarket)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Percy said:
Aaaah, dirka dirka dirka....

I wondered how that was going to work. I figured we'd have to hardwire somekind of harness to the back of the stocker stereo... That's good to know. When I looked at the port at SEMA, it really didn't make much sense at the time. Thanks for that Rover... Welcome to it, by the way.

Watch out for these guys. We are vicious lustful bunch that tend to attack without warning. It's all in good fun.
Percy a yellow belly lier we never attact without reason unless its the moderator triying to throw his weight around becouse he thinks he so special and above us lowly members. :D :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
I reached the same conclusion as Rover on the hook up of the MP3 after loking at the interior shots. My question is did anyone notice a way to attach your mp3 so that it wont go sliding around while driving?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My question is did anyone notice a way to attach your mp3 so that it wont go sliding around while driving?
velcro

·
Registered
228 Posts
That is a great suggestion...its almost like you are a modern day MacGyver.

As far as the MP3 jacks, I'd recommend an FM transmitter. I don't have a Creative, but I am fairly certain that they do make an FM transmitter and I can't imagine that it run any higher then $40-50. Plugs right into ur MP3 player and you don't have to worry about the length of the cables and what not. Just plug in the transmitter, throw it in a cup holder or what not...and disco.

found a link to give you the general idea. To me much more convenient...and it works in the house as well.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001F22PA/002-3842048-2101636?v=glance&n=172282

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
csherrill said:
That is a great suggestion...its almost like you are a modern day MacGyver.

As far as the MP3 jacks, I'd recommend an FM transmitter. I don't have a Creative, but I am fairly certain that they do make an FM transmitter and I can't imagine that it run any higher then $40-50. Plugs right into ur MP3 player and you don't have to worry about the length of the cables and what not. Just plug in the transmitter, throw it in a cup holder or what not...and disco.

found a link to give you the general idea. To me much more convenient...and it works in the house as well.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001F22PA/002-3842048-2101636?v=glance&n=172282

ugh no no no! Not at least if you live near a city. You will be CONSTANTLY changing frequencies trying to get one without static, and the sound quality is piss poor, even on the good ones. Direct input is the only way to go, with a tape adapter if you have a tape deck coming in a distant second....

·
Registered
228 Posts
I live in Houston. 4th largest last time I checked. And I don't have any problems with mine as far as static. But I have an Ipod, so I am not sure if the Belkin is better or worse. At least with the Belkin you can switch frequencies, etc. On the Itrip you only have one option. There is a drop in quality sure, but I don't think it is a 90 foot cliff. I prefer the marginally poorer sound quality to the convenience of not having ghetto wires hanging out my dash.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
the "aux" thing is a mini-plug. I have a Monster mini-to-mini plug cable that works well for my Tivoli radio that has the same type of jack. This is what we'll need for the FJ and sound quality will be very good. It'll be simple. But the question still lingers where the Ipod will store

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
csherrill said:
I live in Houston. 4th largest last time I checked. And I don't have any problems with mine as far as static. But I have an Ipod, so I am not sure if the Belkin is better or worse. At least with the Belkin you can switch frequencies, etc. On the Itrip you only have one option. There is a drop in quality sure, but I don't think it is a 90 foot cliff. I prefer the marginally poorer sound quality to the convenience of not having ghetto wires hanging out my dash.
yeah I'm a bit of a freak about sound quality, and to me the Itrip on my Ipod sounds boomy and just terrible on any station (you are not limited to one station). The Itrip has frequency options btw....you switch it through the Ipod itself. I have a tape adapter that I use more....it gives better sound quality even though it looks a little crappy...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the Monster Fm Transmitter. I'm with you on the static. And even when there is none, all ya gotta do is pop in the same CD as what's trickling through on the iPod and it's like Pamela Lee walks in the room and you feel silly for humpin' the poster all this time....

What's cool about mine, though, is that it plugs directly into the cig/power adapter. So I think I'll just plug the mini 2 mini between the radio and iPod and hang the iPod upside down from the mirror by the power cord (I have the mini & that's not too heavy). Or, someone could develop the FJ cup holder to iPod carrier converter...

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
As to the issue of the sliding around ipod, Toyota addresses it with a foam "beer koozie" material item that slips into the cupholder with 2 mp3 player positions molded in (horizontal and angled to the side) These little nuggets can be found now in new 2006 model Scion autos equipped with the same aux inputs on their audio systems

·
Registered
6 Posts
hmmmmmmmm....... seems to me that that aux thing under the 12v plug would be a button, not a stereo line in. Most likely to control auxillary lights. Its far from the stereo and aux switches and buttons are more commonly placed down there.

As far as my $.02 on ipod connection....go hardwired not FM transmitted. Only advantage of FM is that you can use it to get sub par sound quality on any FM radio. i.e. in your buddies 78 pinto with stock am/fm and silver buttons that look like buck teeth portruding 3/4 of an inch from the dash.

As this vehicle isnt on the market yet, you will likely have a hard time figuring out which is the right connector for your needs. I would wait, and see what kind of aux-in type connections are available on the stereo in your FJ. IMO best way to go is with an ipod specific adapter so you can control the ipod functions through the dash stereo buttons, your ipod will have a home in the compartment of your choice. No wires over the dash no flying ipod as you swerve to miss that dude drifting into your lane as he is on his cell phone, taking notes, eating a burger and smoking a ciggy all at the same time.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Common guys, this is a 1/8th" connector that is used for just about every computer in the world. Look for the blue audio port on your desktop basically an no-amped version of a headphone port. Not sure why Toyota used green as that usually indicated headphone/amped version. Either way this is a great/simple option that gets rid of either FM or tape transmitters.

If you start getting into things like MP3 specific controls it really is a bad move for the auto manufactures as these players are really flavor of the week and the Ipod's will eventually fade once Apple quits spending 300 mil a year in ads showing us how cool we "can" be....... Rant over

Who wants to start a universal car connection/control thing like the USB standard for all MP3 players to conform to so any vehicle could control any device, now that would make sense rather than a white VW with a Ipod dock gimmick. USB is the most successful connection of all time because it has been adopted by everyone.

Thanks Troll for the pics:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts