Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been keeping track of my gas mileage for awhile, since 2 or 3 tank fulls before I went to 285 BFG's.I need to keep track of it, my Co. pays my gas tab & making the tire change I wanted to see the change,(didn't want the boss to ***** about the mileage drop), anyway, I've noticed that its been dropping like a rock. Stock I was getting 18.5-19.5 mpg, after the tires I lost a little, not as bad as I thought it would be, but over the last few weeks it seems to be around 14-15 mpg,???? Driving the same roads the same way. I'll update with my tank-by-tank mpg later today, out of the log I keep, so you can see. Would oil change & plugs make much of a difference?? I have 16,500 miles on it now. Was reading spark plug threads & got me thinking, time to swap out the plugs. Any sugg. on type of plug? Should I run Syn. oil?? Even though I don't pay for gas I would still like to see better mileage. Any thoughts??

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
My guess is that changing plugs won't help, as it's probably the fuel that's the problem. Summertime blends of reformulated gasoline are now being used (at least in the larger cities), due to an ill-conceived and bone-headed mandate from the EPA.

Reformulated gasoline gives you worse gas mileage.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
My guess is that changing plugs won't help, as it's probably the fuel that's the problem. Summertime blends of reformulated gasoline are now being used (at least in the larger cities), due to an ill-conceived and bone-headed mandate from the EPA.

Reformulated gasoline gives you worse gas mileage.
X2

I can drive the same roads at the same speeds and my mileage will vary from 16.9 to 20.3 depending on where I bought the last tank of gas.

One thing I've noticed is the smell. Some of it even smells old...

I was talking to my local lawn mower repair guy yesterday and he was telling me about numerous folks coming in with mower problems that are all traced to poor quality of gas being sold. One guy had a new gas can and bought gas with a lot of water in it. Others have lots of trash... Some of this can be blamed on the comsumer, but the number of problems is troubling.

Plus, we pay more for this crap!

As was said above... Thanks Al Gore!!!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Yes, the quality of gas seems to always go down when the price goes up. If the pump seems slower than normal or has an off odor, like cheap alcohol, move on and go to another station.. Ron

PS: Are you sure that Al is responsible for this?<<<;)

X2

I can drive the same roads at the same speeds and my mileage will vary from 16.9 to 20.3 depending on where I bought the last tank of gas.

One thing I've noticed is the smell. Some of it even smells old...

I was talking to my local lawn mower repair guy yesterday and he was telling me about numerous folks coming in with mower problems that are all traced to poor quality of gas being sold. One guy had a new gas can and bought gas with a lot of water in it. Others have lots of trash... Some of this can be blamed on the comsumer, but the number of problems is troubling.

Plus, we pay more for this crap!

As was said above... Thanks Al Gore!!!

cheers,

dale

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Yes, the quality of gas seems to always go down when the price goes up. If the pump seems slower than normal or has an off odor, like cheap alcohol, move on and go to another station.. Ron

PS: Are you sure that Al is responsible for this?<<<;)
He's a convenient scape goat... :rofl:

Big Oil is the most likely cause, but...:simmadown:

After all, big oil (Standard Oil Co.) played a major part in causing the Mexican Revolution in 1915-1917...

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
He really is, isn't he! LOL.. I've heard the Al and the Clintons were behind October Revolution.. LOL... :rofl::rofl: Cheers.. Ron

He's a convenient scape goat... :rofl:

Big Oil is the most likely cause, but...:simmadown:

After all, big oil (Standard Oil Co.) played a major part in causing the Mexican Revolution in 1915-1917...

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I was talking to my local lawn mower repair guy yesterday and he was telling me about numerous folks coming in with mower problems that are all traced to poor quality of gas being sold. One guy had a new gas can and bought gas with a lot of water in it. Others have lots of trash
I used to have a 1990 4Runner and a 1992 Honda Prelude, both purchased new. Both had external fuel filters and metal fuel tanks, with drain plugs.

Every fall, I'd take out the drain plugs and drain 3-4 gallons. You'd be surprised at the crud that came out

I'd really like to lower an explosion proof liquid tight camera into a typical gas station underground tank. I'll bet the bottom of the tank has an interesting phase of dirt/sediment, rust, water, light oils (Pipelines will typically push through a wide range of hydrocarbons, not just gasoline), and finally gasoline

The only place I've never had fuel problems is at my hobby farm. I have two 250 gallon diesel storage tanks, above ground. One is for "summer" diesel and the other is for "winter" diesel. They have rotary hand pumps, and 5 micron filters with water separators

After I'm done topping off the tractor, I can easily drain half a cup of water and crud from the separator. I'm careful to use a desiccant filter/breather on the tanks, so the crud must be coming in with the fuel truck

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Back on topic:

I generally run fuel additives during the summer months here in Big-D. The gasoline is so poor, due to the reformulated blends, that I get awful gas mileage and performance.

So, that may be an option to improve summertime MPG blues. Everything begins with the fuel; poor fuel = poor MPG...

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Yes.. Our gas here in Tennessee is not seasonal (yet), but I sure notice it on vacations to the west. The worst thing here is everyone is adding corn now, bummer. There's still a couple of stations that don't, but were loosing ground.. Ron

Back on topic:

I generally run fuel additives during the summer months here in Big-D. The gasoline is so poor, due to the reformulated blends, that I get awful gas mileage and performance.

So, that may be an option to improve summertime MPG blues. Everything begins with the fuel; poor fuel = poor MPG...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I'll try the super for a few tanks or some oct. booster, & see if it makes a difference. I've heard(can't afford to try it), that if you run 93-94 oct. you will get better gas mileage because of cleaner, more eff. fuel burn. I don't know ??? AH, what the he77, I'll just run the 94 oct. & check the MPG after a few tanks (I'm not paying the tab anyway). Going to Englishtown,NJ next week for the drag race. It will be a good 2-3 hour ride on the highway, we'll see what happens on super.....Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts