Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

MPG to and from the Summit......

5K views 47 replies 32 participants last post by  imgone10 
#1 ·
Just curious what kind of milage everyone pulled while making the journey to the Summit?

Mine was horrible, high of 13.6 and low of 11.9 with and average speed of 55.4 MPH. Roof rack, 33x12.5 Super Swampers and 4.88 gears equal sucky gas milage. Might be time to make some changes to get better milage.

#2 ·
Whoa, Graham, that's a lot o' fuel, buddy...

I was getting around 17 on the highway, and I was complaining about that.

I feel much better now...

Seriously, the gears probably did your MPG in, bud.

#5 · (Edited)
The per tank averages were 15.5 to 18 mpg on the way there . . .
and 16 to 19 mpg on the way back.

We drove the speed limit on 70 and elsewhere and babied it in the mountains.

We did use cruise anywhere we could but switched it off when it would downshift too much.

I haven't averaged all the tanks together yet for an overall.

#6 ·
On the way to the summit on leg of the trip was 14.49 the others were 15.68
and 15.79..going home (down hill) avg 17.79, 17.68 and the last leg 15.30 ( hauled arse the last 200 miles) paid more for gas in Roswell NM than at the summit!!

#8 ·
Mine was very similar on the way out. Loaded down with all the gear for doing Rubithon on my SS TrXus 255/85/16's. Now, on the way back, I'll be able to do a strong comparison now that I'm running 4.88's. I'll post up once I get back into NC with my results.

Time for larger tires to compensate for the gears me thinks. I need to find some narrow 35s.
I'm desperate for the same. The only 35 X 10.5 tires I've been able to find are the SS SSR's. Otherwise, I might have to cave and go for some BFG KM2's in 315/75/16 which aren't really 35's and are a bit wider than I would prefer.

Please forward any ideas that you find in your research and I'll do the same...

ps - it was nice to meet you as you showed Todd's oil pan who the master really was...

#9 ·
I'm desperate for the same. The only 35 X 10.5 tires I've been able to find are the SS SSR's. Otherwise, I might have to cave and go for some BFG KM2's in 315/75/16 which aren't really 35's and are a bit wider than I would prefer.

Please forward any ideas that you find in your research and I'll do the same...

ps - it was nice to meet you as you showed Todd's oil pan who the master really was...
I will you know what I find. I definitely want stay with a radial, but like you indicated, it is slim pickens out there for tall and skinny tires.

Good meeting you too and glad I could get that pan out!

Graham

#23 ·
We had that planned, to get 3 rigs shipped to Reno in order to do Rubithon. First quote came in under $900 but the final quote came in at over $1800 one way. Adding airfare put it out of reach.

I'll be posting my final "numbers" once I get home with cost and MPG over the ~7500 miles I put on my FJ since June...

#12 ·
A hair under 12mpg with 35's, roof rack, stock gears and 4 adult sized people, luggage and raffle/giveaway stuff loaded in back - for the load and gearing its not that bad but I'm now planning 4.56's to see if that will change. I'd rather do 4.10's for the 35's but I already have the ARB front locker for the 3.73- case.

#13 ·
My average there and back was 19.5-21.2mpg depending on speed up the mountains and whether or not I was actually close enough to draft off 007FJ coming home. I'm stock though, so no extra weight here. I think he was averaging 16-17 mpg on the way back because with him leading he was running about 1/8th to 1/4 of a tank lower than I was the whole trip back. (Of course, cruise in a MT seems much more fuel efficient than cruise in an AT so we expected as much.)

#14 ·
No complaints here. We got between 17 - 20.5 mpg each way. That was with 4 people, camping gear, coolers, food, small trailer behind towing the rest of our stuff and wheeling tires/wheels. Our mileage was better as our altitude increased.

#16 ·
I'm not quite home but I have a feel for my mileage.

Coming out sucked because I hit a 35 mph headwind in Kansas so my average that way was 15.3

Returning home so far I'm averaging 18.7.

cheers,

dale

#17 ·
I was getting about 18.5 mpg both ways,doing 70-72mph with the air on and using cruise control 95% of the time.i did average 21 mpg for one tankfull coming out of denver into nebraska.

#20 ·
We got 17-18 mpg when we got to NM, UT & CO, :) I haven't had that mileage since only having a 3" lift. The return home trip sucked, but we were doing 80-85.

#22 ·
My average was 18.7 on the TRD 16" BFG TA KO's. My low tank was 14.9 on the way to the summit in Utah and the high was 20.2 on the way to Las Vegas yesterday on I40 in Arizona. I am in Vegas now for a couple of days and I filled up when I arrived for 4.25 for premium. The gas for the trip is cheaper than I thought it would be and still less than when I left CA.

#24 · (Edited)
11.7 for me and 14.6 for Demello. Yup my tires are gonna go for sure now. I have 325/65 R18 Nitto TG's that are 72lbs. ea. They were the same ones that Dylan won the Baja 500 in, but after talking to him he got rid of them afterward because they were slowing him down so much.

But heck, it was probably the best week of my life. Fuel Schmool.

#28 ·
On the way to the Summit the first night I averaged 11.6 mpg running 80 mph from San Diego to Cedar City, UT to catch the group. The next day I was leading a group the rest of the way into OUray and ended up near running out of gas and had to draft Jeshua into Green River. When I finally settled in I found my best gas mileage to be at around 70 mph. I'm averaging 12.3 mpg now and I'm still not home yet. :wave:

#29 ·
I got about 14.3 there and back Spent about 750 on fuel from San Diego I think. I expected to spend more all together this week but with fuel, hotel, food and other family diversions I only spent about 2200 for me and the family and we wern't scrimping or anything. Man what a fun and Cheap family vacation. I'dve spent that in a day at Disney and had way less fun.

#30 ·
I got around 16 going to Ouray, and somehow, someway I got 20.5 coming back. I have no freakin idea how that happened, but it did. I suppose when I drive long distance, I'll always unscrew my transfer case drain plug. Maybe that extra lubrication was slowing me down.

Graham, the Swampers TrXus don't seem too bad on mileage for me. But yeah, the TSL's or IROK's, forget about it. Not to mention that the IROK's would be bald by the time you got home.

#32 ·
Well, As you all know Sandabbe and I didn't make it to the summit:mecry:(Looks like it was a GREAT TIME!) We went to our property in Northern Idaho. With a side trip into Canada. Our average mileage was 20.3 with a worst being 17.5.with the A/C running. The best being 21.8. Most of the trip was going the 75 mph/hr speed limit.(except through towns of course).:bandit:

#34 ·
on the way to Moab & than Ouray I was able to get about 16 MPG, on the way back, on the portion of Ouray to Grand J i got......18.5 MPG!!!!! I was :thinkerg:, but than it dropped to about 14.5-15 MPG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.