Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious what folks are getting for MPG. Also I would like to know if an auto or standard gets better economy. In my experience vehicles with manuals trans usually get better milage but not always. So any way if some of you wouldn't mind letting me know what you get I would apperciate it. Also I'm looking for what the economy is on a stock FJ not one of the heavily moded offroad rigs.
Jimmy

·
Registered
393 Posts
The automatic gets better mileage than the standard. How much better I don't really know. My perfectly honest mileage is typically just under 16 mpg for in town with lots of stops, traffic lights and low average speed. I have gotten 17 mpg mostly on the highway plus some around town driving. Never have gotten better than 17, but I also have not taken any road trips so that is an unknown. I expect I could get it up to 19 or 20 on the highway. My FJ is auto 4 x 4, roof rack, rock rails & stock tires. No other mods that would affect mileage. Some of the guys here are reporting 22 or 23 mpg on the highway and 19 around town or combined driving. The main reason my mileage sucks is because I tend to goose it more than I should. It's fun, but expensive fun these days!
My mileage still sucks when I try to drive very conservatively, so finally I just said **ck it and don't worry about it. I'm confident that we will soon annex Kuwait and be good to go for a few more years.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sooner the better on Kuwait huh! I'm thinking about trading my Dodge diesel in on an FJ just to get my car payment lower plus the FJ is cool. I don't really want to get rid of my truck but hey do what you got to do. At first I was shocked when I started reading that some guys were barely getting 17mpg my truck hardly ever gets that low. But the price of the FJ is almost half of what I paid for my truck. Thanks for the info guys and I hope to get some more posts here soon.

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Since you are new i will do the search for you
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/1833-people-your-fj-mpg-goes-here.html
This is a thread on exactly this topic.
I get about 18-19 average. I installed a very strong spring behind the gas pedal so it is hard for me to press it.

j/k but that could work, don't steal my idea!
Yeah right Layton!!!! Although a really stiff spring might save me a little on the MPG stage.......... I am getting about 16 or so around town but after I put on bigger tires, well........ That is the price for being cool.:bandit:

Kim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've searched this site 4 different times and never found that thread. I must be doing somthing wrong! I like the spring idea!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
I've searched this site 4 different times and never found that thread. I must be doing somthing wrong! I like the spring idea!
It's OK dude, I still get stuff wrong sometimes too. I am friends with Layton so I was picking at him. Just try searching on only one word or two then it narrows down the threads for you. BTW you will love the FJ if you go test drive it so get your checkbook out!!!!

Kim:clap:

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I'm afraid this will only lead to you having freakish calf muscles.
Sound appealing. Except i would have one awesome calf, and one regular. Hmm, not so appealing.

This could actually be used. Not in the manner i said, but attach another higher spring rate spring that is attached to the pedal to relocate it to no throttle position. If it is harder to push in, you would probably be less likely to press the throttle as hard in normal day driving.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been getting 19 MPG with about 2/3 highway and 1/3 city using premium fuel. I think when the weather warms up I will probably get a little over 20 on the highway. I could probably do better if the premium didn't have ethanol in it but that is all we can get with premium here in Iowa. I know my Dodge Ram gets 2 MPG less when I use the ethanol regular over the 87 oct. regular without it. I talked to a local plumbing contractor that bought two E85 vans for his fleet and he is getting rid of them as he says they go through fuel as fast as it is put in the tank. He said they get about 6 to 10 MPG is all. Alcohol is great for racing but not for daily drivers.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
2wd gets a little better mileage on and offroad! on our way out to the Mojave Rd. a couple weekends ago we got 21mpg on the freewayand were modded up too! couldn't figure our dirt & home trip because someone(cough cough) wrigman, hit the trip gauge and reset the numbers so i have no idea how many miles we drove!(actually he disconnected the battery and it resets the trip meter).
we average 15-17 around town, with the a/c it goes down to 13-15:mecry:so trying not to use it right now!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts