Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The factors that have the greatest affect on fuel consumption are:
1. By far the greatest affect is the driver's driving habits: hard on the accelerator and hard on the brakes, little or no coasting up to stop lights and stop signs, consistently running up to 3,500 RPM or higher, etc.
2. Condition of the engine's fuel-feedback system: clean mass airflow sensor and correctly functioning fuel-air sensors;
3. Average cruise speed on the highway: you'll need to limit that to around 65 MPH for decent fuel economy;
4. Ratio of highway driving to stop-and-go city driving;
5. Modifications that add weight and aerodynamic drag: larger/heavier than stock tires, roof rack, roof-top tent, heavy steel skid plates, etc.
6. Tire inflation pressure: the higher the pressure, the less rolling resistance there is. The recommended tire pressure shown on the door jamb label is only applicable to the original tire type and size that the vehicle was delivered with.
7. Condition of the engine's ignition system (primarily spark plug condition).
8. The 2010 and later dual-VVTi, higher compression engines are capable of a few more MPG than the '07-'09 models with single VVTi engines.

A well-tuned, minimally-modified '07, conservatively driven, can achieve 18-19 MPG or better on the highway.
A well-tuned, minimally-modified '10 or later can achieve 20-21 MPG on the highway.

If you don't know when the last time the MAF sensor was cleaned, do it now. If the air-fuel sensors have more than about 85,000 miles on them, replace them now. Check your tire pressures. Try upshifting at 2,000 RPM for one tank of gas and see how that affects fuel consumption.

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
Sparkey wrote: "mickey must be a moron" (I think you might have meant Mikey).

Jeez, has someone been distributing free Karen hats??

Sorry, but I did not call Mikey a moron.

If you interpreted my post that way, then it was poor choice of sentence structure on my part, or possibly something else.

Not clear why some individuals seem to get so overwrought when alternate opinions are expressed.
<--‐-- mikey with a little "m".

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't know who to believe anymore......
You can believe Toyota. I've attached an excerpt from the 2007 owners manual that included a handy chart of shift speeds. Later owners manuals don't have this part.

As you can see Toyota suggests shifting around 2200 for the lower gears and about 2000rpm for the higher gears. It also suggests when cruising to upshift until you are at 1400rpm for lower gears to about 1700 for the higher gears. This actually works pretty well. You only need to rev higher than that when more power is needed than is available at 2000rpm.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can believe Toyota. I've attached an excerpt from the 2007 owners manual that included a handy chart of shift speeds. Later owners manuals don't have this part.

As you can see Toyota suggests shifting around 2200 for the lower gears and about 2000rpm for the higher gears. It also suggests when cruising to upshift until you are at 1400rpm for lower gears to about 1700 for the higher gears. This actually works pretty well. You only need to rev higher than that when more power is needed than is available at 2000rpm.
Thanks for including the Shift Speeds. Recently bought a '14 with a manual and noticed fuel economy wasn't great. Not that I expected it to be. But following this might help. It's been a long time since I owned a manual, and am going a little higher than necessary in RPM's before shifting.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've had my 09 with AT for 3 months .I have done mileage checks on both regular and premium. Almost all in town driving has given me 14.7.
With the AT in town driving is it reccomend to keep it in drive or 4,not using 5th ?

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I've had my 09 with AT for 3 months .I have done mileage checks on both regular and premium. Almost all in town driving has given me 14.7.
With the AT in town driving is it reccomend to keep it in drive or 4,not using 5th ?
If you are only looking for maximum fuel economy, just leave it in D, as this will result in lowest RPM, lowest airflow through the engine, and therefore the lowest fuel flow. The transmission will downshift as required, depending on engine load requirements. Acceleration will be a little sluggish, with a slight delay as the transmission downshifts.

I live in a hilly residential area, and when in the hills, I usually nudge the shifter into 4 to bring the engine RPM up slightly and minimize the number of times the engine needs to downshift 2 gears.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How many miles per gallon is a fj suppost to give you for real? Mine is 2007 manual 4x4 6 speed ,when i bought i knew that they were terrible in that department but mine is ridiculos , l'm lucky if I get 12.5 miles per gallon...............Is that normal? Or there is something wrong with mine?........Please help,-
Try changing air filter to K&N
And change plugs Denso Iridium.
I’m getting around 15 to 19 miles to gallon with those changes. Lots of stop and go in Costa Rica. I’m sure it’s much better open road.
Enjoy

·
Registered
6 Posts
How many miles per gallon is a fj suppost to give you for real? Mine is 2007 manual 4x4 6 speed ,when i bought i knew that they were terrible in that department but mine is ridiculos , l'm lucky if I get 12.5 miles per gallon...............Is that normal? Or there is something wrong with mine?........Please help,-
I have a 2014 FJ Automatic, with only city driving I get 17.5mpg.

·
Registered
97 Posts
For me, when it comes down to MPG, it all depends on speed.

On the freeway if I keep it around 60-70mph, I can usually get around 19MPG easily. But some days when I try to keep up with traffic here in socal (when there isn't traffic and people are hauling ass trying to get places), I'll get around 12-14MPG if i'm driving around 80MPH.

Also on sunday mornings just cruising down an empty road at 40mph, I can usually get 25-30MPG.

It all depends on how you drive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have owned three FJs, a 2007, a 2009, and a 2014. I have driven at least 150,000 miles on each one in city and highway driving (mostly highway driving) in one of the worst driving conditions - temperature ranging -20 degrees in the winter with average yearly snowfall 245" to 270" annually (the Upper Peninsula of Michigan) to summers as hot as 110-degrees in Texas. I only purchase and drive FJs with 6-speed MT with 275-70x17" BFGoodrich AT on the 2007 FJ, 2009 FJ and KO2s on the 2014 FJ.

Combined city driving could go down into 13-14mpg, especially when driving in heavy stop and go traffic like in Dallas, TX. On the freeway, the mpg figures vacillated between 15mpg to 19mpg depending on wind speed and vehicle speed. I drive 55, 65, 75, and 85mph (yes in Texas, posted 85mph toll road) depending on the posted speed limit of the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2007 gets about 17 MPG

·
Registered
2013 FJ Cruiser TT #885/2500
96 Posts

I get around 15-16mpg around town in vegas 40-75 degrees out. I expect a little worse when it’s over 100+. The 22mpg was driving the Mountians of Yellowstone and may have been a sharp incline.

I do have over 300+lbs of stuff added as well.

·
Premium Member
2013 FJ Army Green MT
544 Posts
2013 MT Sliders w/kickouts, N-fab front bumper with skid, ADD rear bumper, 31" tires. Twice I've gotten 18 MPG on highway trips, set your cruise control. City Hwy mixed I get 16 MPG or lower. I must admit the 18 MPG did include Eco mode on Pedal Commander at 68 MPH average.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Try changing air filter to K&N
And change plugs Denso Iridium.
I’m getting around 15 to 19 miles to gallon with those changes. Lots of stop and go in Costa Rica. I’m sure it’s much better open road.
Enjoy
Eso voy a hacer Costablun. Gracias

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an 07, 6MT, 2 inch spacer lift and 285 tires on 18 inch wheels, an LRA auxiliary fuel tank and some home roof rack mods (two aluminum boxes in back and a basket over the cab)

Last weekend we took a granddaughter back to her moms house, Portland Oregon to Spokane Washington.
Passengers was myself, two of my adult daughters, and the grand daughter and her stuff.

I keep the speed to 60mph while freeway cruising.
Saw 19.9mpg on the trip up there. Filled up there and have not checked the return mileage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine averages 14-16 mpg but it also has 39.5 Iroks on it with alot of lift.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts