Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
no extra weight on mine on my fj except big tires
Rolando, Big tires! Your indicated miles will be less than actual miles driven! Depending on how big, will determine how much error you will be getting. Drive a measured distance, say 10 miles (use GPS to determine actual miles driven or accurate map miles). Some highways have mile markers, use them but go at least 10 miles, check your trip at end of 10 miles. Whatever the error is in percentage, multiply that times your present gas mileage estimate, and see if you are closer to what is expected.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How many miles per gallon is a fj suppost to give you for real? Mine is 2007 manual 4x4 6 speed ,when i bought i knew that they were terrible in that department but mine is ridiculos , l'm lucky if I get 12.5 miles per gallon...............Is that normal? Or there is something wrong with mine?........Please help,-
I get anywhere between 15-18 mpg depending upon brand of gas, road surface and headwind. Must use premium gas and make sure engine tuned up with good plugs! No racing the engine! Just drive normal. Not great, but better than my keep was.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Be real careful/causious when using the oiled k/n filter. Fouling of your air flow sensor will give you problems. Most agree these will only help at higher rpms anyway. Get the quality plugs and go with new oem air filter.
Ethanol is making it almost impossible to get to epa specs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How many miles per gallon is a fj suppost to give you for real? Mine is 2007 manual 4x4 6 speed ,when i bought i knew that they were terrible in that department but mine is ridiculos , l'm lucky if I get 12.5 miles per gallon...............Is that normal? Or there is something wrong with mine?........Please help,-
I’m the original owner of a 2007 4x4 MT. I have 285/70/17 K02’s and an Icon stage 2 lift and have run nothing but premium fuel in it and have never achieved mileage above 15MPG no matter what I have done. In no way is the FJ fuel efficient! It’s just the way it is, welcome to FJ ownership!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I’m the original owner of a 2007 4x4 MT. I have 285/70/17 K02’s and an Icon stage 2 lift and have run nothing but premium fuel in it and have never achieved mileage above 15MPG no matter what I have done. In no way is the FJ fuel efficient! It’s just the way it is, welcome to FJ ownership!
you are still getting more miles than me.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
42,300 Posts
You would think after fourteen years the FJ would get better mileage by now...

Reactions: Sparky of NWO

·
Registered
13 Posts
what is the condition of your catalytic convertor? Is it allowing for good flow, or is it reducing your engine efficiency? Worth looking into....

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
Never had a problem with a K&N in 40 to 45 years. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yoy probablg follow instructions. Found that those who have problems with the K&N .....dont.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well it’s definitely not possessed, lol.
To answer your original question, gas mileage will vary from driver to driver, sometimes even greatly. As the biggest variable is always the driver. After that the vehicle’s condition and or any modifications come into play. You mentioned you’re an older driver and consider yourself a good driver. The two don’t always go hand and hand, but I’ll trust you’re a good driver. So my next thought might be you’re still getting used to your “new to you” FJ. Perhaps unknowingly driving it a little more aggressive than another manual FJ owner might, or perhaps not. With manuals though, you really are in control.
Moving from there would be the FJ’s condition. Perhaps I missed it, but I didn’t see any information about the vehicles mileage, or service history. Only that it has larger tires, no information on size or if maybe it’s lifted to fit those tires. And that you drive on mainly open roads, so no heavy stop and go traffic. Without that information my thinking might be the vehicles condition isn’t ideal, and perhaps the tires are also playing a part in the poor fuel mileage. In addition to the possibility you’re adjusting to your new to you FJ. I’d probably check your vehicles history. Even if the history wasn’t provided during the sale, or given on a carfax. There’s a chance you can check it with the vin through Toyota. (If it was dealer serviced). Then start considering the service recommendations listed by other members.
A few things for reference,
A vehicle’s best gas mileage is “typically” seen at the speed straight up on the speedometer. For example, the FJ’s best mpg is seen at around 60 mph, straight up on the speedometer.
Also as mentioned before, mpg varies from driver to driver. So any of us giving our mpg only proves that’s the mpg we can get from our FJ’s, not necessarily what you’ll get from yours.
This site will give you an average of what other FJ owners have gotten. As you’ll see they can vary greatly.
In addition, this next link is one I’ve posted before as it talks about engine performance products. And their test example just happened to be an FJ Cruiser.
In short, any performance mods advertising an increase in fuel economy require the driver to drive the vehicle economically. If you drive it to take advantage of any additional hp or torque provided you’ll burn more fuel. So I wouldn’t necessarily buy into the advertising of this or that performance part improves fuel economy.
Instead, I’d focus on getting your FJ fully up to service, and go from there.

Hope that helps,

·
Registered
6 Posts
I usually get 10KLMs to the litre , i towed 3 tone of firewood in a large heavy tandem trailer 125 KLMs the other day and got just over 7 KLMs to the litre

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I just knew somebody was going to throw in litres and confuse me badly. Someday I'm going to plug in that obdII reader that has been in the console for two years and see how bad it really is....

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
When was the last time the MAF was cleaned, and the fuel-air sensors were replaced?
I was reading about the MAF last night there supposed to be self cleaning. Somehow they sense soiling and turn up the heat to burn it off?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 07 with 147,000 miles...Bricks on wheels, the 4.0’s are known for reliability, not mpg.... I’m not saying I like my mpg but it is what it is, I’ve got 35x13.50r17 maxxis razr m/t’s ... and generally have a subwoofer and box that’s weighs some where around 125pounds... lucky to get 9-10mpg... definitely need to re-gear, but even stock I was seeing similar mpg’s to what you are claiming although I suppose I would expect slightly better with a manual

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
FJ MT are pushing more driveline parts and will never beat an AT in mpg. Typically, on equal conditions. Pick that apart will ya!

·
Registered
2011 Army Green
13 Posts
I get 19mpg. 2011, no mods.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Bricks on wheels, the 4.0’s are known for reliability, not mpg.... I’m not saying I like my mpg but it is what it is, I’ve got 35x13.50r17 maxxis razr m/t’s ... and generally have a subwoofer and box that’s weighs some where around 125pounds... lucky to get 9-10mpg... definitely need to re-gear, but even stock I was seeing similar mpg’s to what you are claiming although I suppose I would expect slightly better with a manual
If you're only getting a long-term average of 9-10 MPG, something is radically wrong. Are you at least correcting for the odometer inaccuracy (35" tires) when calculating your fuel consumption?

A 125 lb deadweight load in this vehicle will not have any measurable affect on fuel consumption ... look elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I was reading about the MAF last night there supposed to be self cleaning. Somehow they sense soiling and turn up the heat to burn it off?
Yes, the MAF sensor has a 'self-cleaning' routine where it is heated up to (under ideal conditions) vaporize any oil residue or other volatile material that may have condensed on it.

Realistically, in a vehicle used off-road, the sensor gets contaminated with a build up of oil and microfine silica dust that gets baked into a hard crust during the self-cleaning cycle. The MAF is a hot-wire type sensor, and any baked-on crust insulates the sensing element and gives inaccurate readings.

Hence the need to periodically physically clean with special MAF cleaning solvent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2008 MT 4WD, 100K miles, and we get 15mpg regardless of what it's doing, city, highway, off-road. On the highway, speed is a factor - we get a little better milage when we go out of state where the speed limits are lower (Because driving in Colorado with Texas plates is an excuse to get pulled over "just because".)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The factors that have the greatest affect on fuel consumption are:
1. By far the greatest affect is the driver's driving habits: hard on the accelerator and hard on the brakes, little or no coasting up to stop lights and stop signs, consistently running up to 3,500 RPM or higher, etc.
2. Condition of the engine's fuel-feedback system: clean mass airflow sensor and correctly functioning fuel-air sensors;
3. Average cruise speed on the highway: you'll need to limit that to around 65 MPH for decent fuel economy;
4. Ratio of highway driving to stop-and-go city driving;
5. Modifications that add weight and aerodynamic drag: larger/heavier than stock tires, roof rack, roof-top tent, heavy steel skid plates, etc.
6. Tire inflation pressure: the higher the pressure, the less rolling resistance there is. The recommended tire pressure shown on the door jamb label is only applicable to the original tire type and size that the vehicle was delivered with.
7. Condition of the engine's ignition system (primarily spark plug condition).
8. The 2010 and later dual-VVTi, higher compression engines are capable of a few more MPG than the '07-'09 models with single VVTi engines.

A well-tuned, minimally-modified '07, conservatively driven, can achieve 18-19 MPG or better on the highway.
A well-tuned, minimally-modified '10 or later can achieve 20-21 MPG on the highway.

If you don't know when the last time the MAF sensor was cleaned, do it now. If the air-fuel sensors have more than about 85,000 miles on them, replace them now. Check your tire pressures. Try upshifting at 2,000 RPM for one tank of gas and see how that affects fuel consumption.
Wow, great info. Can you clean the MAF sensor yourself ? Mine in a manual '14 with roof top tent and Titan tank mounted on rear gate. I get 18 on highway 15 in town if I go 74 or less and do not have the rooftop tent mounted. With it mounted 15 is about as good as it gets. BUT ... it's a lot more fun to rev it up more in between shifts...

41 - 60 of 74 Posts