Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a popup camper 1300 lbs. Drove 150 miles each way using my Garmin 1490 w/ real time fuel economy reading, my average consumption and fuel costs were the same with and without the trailer.

Average 18.5 mpg which included in town driving and hills outside of San Antonio. Not bad IMO.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
hmmm. I dont see how a 1300lb trailer would have no effect on mpgs.
I agree.

I would run some more testing just to be sure.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, double checked, that is the reading. Average 18.47. It is reading off the OBDII port

The reading on the trip up was avg. 17.98 mpg's, I attribute this to the long elevation climb into the hill country area.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I don't trust the scangauge and similar tools as much as the divide miles by amount of fuel used.

My scangauge numbers vary a lot.

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
Your better off relying on doing the math yourself.

Electronics become more acurate over time, 300 mi is to short IMO.

·
Registered
579 Posts
For comparison I pull a 3200 lb hard sided pop up Chalet 16’ trailer on 33X12.4X17's with a 16' alum. Boat on top motor, gear, 40 + gallons water, 50 L fuel and any thing that three females can think of etc for 2 weeks off road and I average 14 mpg if I drive conservatively. I do have 4:56 gears. So I don't think that is a stretch for half the weight.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I use to average close to 20mpg (using old school math method) with my mostly stock TT and no trailer. Pulling my teardrop trailer, which weighed approx. 1200lbs with gear and being very aero I got around 18mpg. Pulling my AT Horizon which is closer to 2000lbs loaded and not so aero, I might see 16 mpgs. Now that I have lifted the FJ and installed taller tires I'am expecting/hoping for 14mpg.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I have never seen anything close to 18mpg from my FJ. Not brand new. I think the highest I have ever seen is 14.3 and my wife says I drive like grandpa.

Never over 60, and with my trailer on never much above 55. I get 9-10 towing it. I find it impossible to believe those numbers. A 1300 pound tag trailer is going to affect milage period, no way it can't unless you are driving down hill for 300 miles. You better redo the math, something is wrong.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Interested in towing mileage too. I have no trailer yet which is why Im reading. But I do want to say that I consistently get ~20 mpg with my FJ driving daily. I got 14 once driving from El Paso to Tucson with 40+ mph winds!

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
My FJ is pretty portly, with steel F & R bumpers, skids, Gobi, etc. Without my trailer, driving here in CO, at altitude, I usually see 17-18mpg on Interstate driving (although, going up, say, Vail Pass, 9mpg is more the norm.
Pulling my fully loaded Horizon to Death Valley and back this Christmas, I averaged 13 mpg; as per my Scan Gauge. Going up steeper climbs, I got an indicated 5mpg, which was somewhat disheartening. I started celebrating those long downhills showing 9999 mpg!
I'm pretty happy about my auxiliary fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Those look a lot closer to reality. Unfortunately I have never gotten that great of milage, I have seen the dreaded 4-5 miles pulling my trailers. I average about 11 mpg, no matter what I am doing. I do drive mountain roads every single day though. I have never really taken it on the highway for long trips with out a trailer. A trailer kills the gas mileage no question for me. I am thinking due to the trailer being a great deal of the time to change to 4.56 gears.

·
Registered
143 Posts
In 2009 pulled 3,600 lb Coleman pop up to death valley. Easy driving, good weather foot out of accelerator at 60-65 mph. 15 mpg old school. This last week, 2,500 lb loaded util trailer at 65-80 mph with strong head winds, 8 mpg. Slowed to 55-60 no wind, 13 mpg.

Conclusions, keeping your foot in it drastically impacts mileage. Keep it under 65, you'll nearly double your mileage with anything you tow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts