Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by many previous designs, I wanted something that was modular and had components that I can mix and match depending on what was required, and could accommodate my ARB Fridge.

Here's the clean slate

Plywood base in place. I removed the plastic thing that spanned the back of the rear seats to get a bit more space.

Base covered with black outdoor carpet, and foot mounts from the Engle Slide-Lok in place. To insert/remove fridge, just push down the driver side rear seat to gain access.

Drawer module mounts to the base at each corner. One corner uses an existing mount, the other three using inset nuts in the base board.

ARB Fridge removed and storage module inserted.

side storage module has a lift up top for access.

Stuff still to do.
make another drawer module for driver side
put in locks
perhaps a stackable drawer

have all the plans on many scraps of paper, will try to organize and make presentable if people are interested.

T

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
That's a very nice setup! We've been talking about a fridge & small storage area, so the dogs still have plenty of room. That's a great solution :)

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Nice DVDs in the headrests too! Is that factory Toyota? or aftermarket? I am looking for the same! (P.S. Your design for the fridge is AWESOME!) :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys appreciate the comments!

How did you secure the plywood to the FJ?
Used the existing threaded mounting points for the cargo hooks.
will upload photos.

Nice DVDs in the headrests too! Is that factory Toyota? or aftermarket? I am looking for the same! (P.S. Your design for the fridge is AWESOME!) :bigthumb:
I originally bought the Engle Slide-Lok thinking that I'd use the hold mount and slide platform, but because of the angle of the rear door, the additional height prevented the door from closing properly. With the current setup I had to remove the rear handle from the fridge to accommodate the length of the fridge. It locks into place by the rear seat.

The headrest monitors are 3rd party and NOT Toyota pretty reasonable and easy to install. Here's the link to the one I bought. HEADREST-MONITOR

Still need to stain and seal the wood.

T

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Thanks. I also had to remove my rear handle!

Thanks guys appreciate the comments!

Used the existing threaded mounting points for the cargo hooks.
will upload photos.

I originally bought the Engle Slide-Lok thinking that I'd use the hold mount and slide platform, but because of the angle of the rear door, the additional height prevented the door from closing properly. With the current setup I had to remove the rear handle from the fridge to accommodate the length of the fridge. It locks into place by the rear seat.

The headrest monitors are 3rd party and NOT Toyota pretty reasonable and easy to install. Here's the link to the one I bought. HEADREST-MONITOR

Still need to stain and seal the wood.

T

·
Registered
309 Posts
That looks like a great setup. Im going to try to build mine, looking for the lightest way (or product) to keep the weight down. What type of wood did you use for the drawer? Is there a strong composite material you can get that cuts down on the weight? Do you have any plans or measurements? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Inspired by many previous designs, I wanted something that was modular and had components that I can mix and match depending on what was required, and could accommodate my ARB Fridge.

Here's the clean slate

Plywood base in place. I removed the plastic thing that spanned the back of the rear seats to get a bit more space.

Base covered with black outdoor carpet, and foot mounts from the Engle Slide-Lok in place. To insert/remove fridge, just push down the driver side rear seat to gain access.

Drawer module mounts to the base at each corner. One corner uses an existing mount, the other three using inset nuts in the base board.

ARB Fridge removed and storage module inserted.

side storage module has a lift up top for access.

Stuff still to do.
make another drawer module for driver side
put in locks
perhaps a stackable drawer

have all the plans on many scraps of paper, will try to organize and make presentable if people are interested.

T

Hate to bring up an old thread, but very curious if you came up with a writeup on the build diagram and measurements?

LOVE the MOD!!
:cheers:
:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Very nice... How much does it weigh?

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOW, old thread, Thanks for the comments guys!:rocker:

After almost 4 years, the Storage system has stood the test of time.

As for the plans and dimensions, I'll have to REALLY look for them, but I'll try.

As for the weight, dunno, but will try to weigh them the first chance I get, it's not light.

If I had to do it over, I'd use thinner plywood, 1/2" instead of 3/4", but I don't know how it would of held up after all these years considering all the weight the drawer and cabinet had to withhold.

Ted

1 - 18 of 18 Posts