Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
correct me if I am wrong but that is heading for a 35-36 inch tire isn't it? A buddy of mine had 35s on a taco and man would it ever lug out in high gear....Now in lo lock the truck work kinda cool. The gear whine sounded pretty cool on the trail too....Like the sound of a honda civic backing up quickly..... I was too a rally a few years ago and heard a factory sponsored Subaru WRX/STi going thru its paces with a race prepped shifter/tranny of some sort that would "spit" during gear changes......Man did that thing ever sound cool. Sounded like a gear splitter switch on a big rig.

oops I missed that you were dring a manual.....You should be fine....you will adapt quicker than it takes to think about it.....I was thinking auto.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
correct me if I am wrong but that is heading for a 35-36 inch tire isn't it? A buddy of mine had 35s on a taco and man would it ever lug out in high gear....Now in lo lock the truck work kinda cool. The gear whine sounded pretty cool on the trail too....Like the sound of a honda civic backing up quickly..... I was too a rally a few years ago and heard a factory sponsored Subaru WRX/STi going thru its paces with a race prepped shifter/tranny of some sort that would "spit" during gear changes......Man did that thing ever sound cool. Sounded like a gear splitter switch on a big rig.

oops I missed that you were dring a manual.....You should be fine....you will adapt quicker than it takes to think about it.....I was thinking auto.
No, the conversion is 305/65/17 = 32.6x12/17

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, the conversion is 305/65/17 = 32.6x12/17
They're 305/70 17. I think the calculator said 33.8. I'm definitly going to regear, but after tires and wheels I'm going to have to wait a bit for that expense.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
305/70/16 wont be a problem. It's 32.8" tall so it's barely over an inch taller then stock.

Where are you guys seeing the strange numbers like 305/65/17, 30/75/17, and 305/75/16?! :lol:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
so which tires are taller than 33's???????????

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
so which tires are taller than 33's???????????
34? :lol: Go to tirerack and check out the different sizes, then use the tire calculator to figure out if they are larger then 33. Typically if you go tall, you also go wider as well. Unless you go with the odd sizes like my LTB and other Swamper series. GY MT/R also has a 34.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Looks very sweet Scott. You might think about getting a black Marks-A-Lot and hitting the silver balancing weights on the wheels. Takes a couple of minutes and removes those unsightly sliver blemishes that stand out like a sore thumb. :)

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
I agree, looks great.

Instead of "painting" the balance weights, just pull them off and insert Dynabeads into the tires. Then, no need to worry about throwing a weight or unsightly silver things hanging on your wheels...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
If you're going the route of Dynabeads, make note of how much weight is on the wheels now. You want to make sure you have at least that much weight in beads going into the tire. For tires this size and type, Dynabead recommends 10oz per wheel. There's a chance you may need more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts