Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While chewing the fat with an unrepentant cub fan, we decided to do a run to Mt. McCaslin in Lakewood Wi. Those of you who have been there know it's a great little campground with some tremendous trails. Those of you who haven't, here's your chance to come and get twisted.

The weekend of June 13-15 (Father's day weekend) is open for Brian and I to make a run. If you want to join in, post up. I'm not expecting a huge turnout since this is kind of last moment and busy weekend for some. The current game plan is to ride up on Friday the 13th and set up camp. A little bbq, beverages and some shut eye. I'd love to hit the trails Saturday by 9:00 am and get at least 2 runs in before we knock off for the night. If there is interest, then another short run on Sunday morning till noon or so.

This date is rather firm for the two of us, so we're pretty certain this will happen. If you can make it, great! If not don't worry! We're planning on a Fall Colors run later in the season there.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a recent Mt. McCaslin trail map with GPS co-ordinates on it. The trails there range from mild to carnage. The difficult sections do have by-passes but even those can give you a thrill or two. Nothing to really worry about though. I did it basically stock and walked away with some minor trail rash. Also for those interested, there is a very cool long rock crawl you can cut your teeth on. Sliders and skids would be a must for it though! Not a lot of mud when we were there but there is always that possibility.

Can you tell I like this place? I'm so there!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Phil... Lucky for you... I am going to be driving back from Isle Royal on Friday.... If I can get dropped off can I sit passenger with you for the day and get a ride back to chicago?

Anyone else have passenger room, and is coming from chicago? I just need to make sure I can get home by sunday night!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm taking the 62 so having a passenger is no issue. I'll talk with Brian and figure out the details and let you know!

·
Registered
716 Posts
way to go phil I have a comp that weekend, you all have a good time. Philp if your leading make me proud ! Get some pics

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shaking down the 62 this Friday morning with Brian and his 40. Yup, two old slackers running two old slack filled rides. This will be interesting!

I picked up the McCaslin GPS map off the WOHVA site.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Everyday i am thinking about joining you more and more, but I have to be careful just how far i push the wife. I kinda agreed to purchasing a certain TOGA member's bumper before totally checking with the accountant. A good move long term (she agreed), but she is a little upset that i didnt completely get the green light before pulling the trigger. She has also said she had something in mind for father's day, so i dont know how far i should push it.

We will see.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Scuba Steve... You gota push it.. It is fathers day weekend.... What did you do for mothers day.. Think about it!!

(mind you these comments come from a single, free and unattached man, I am not responsable for any harm I may cause from my suggestions)

Phil.. Thanks for the option to ride with you! I can be a good recovery assistant! :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it makes things better Steve, I'm sure Brian wouldn't mind a ride along. You can travel up in the FJC and do the trail in his 40 or join me and Joe in the 62. Make nice with the bride and tell her you won't get into any trouble. You're going to be with me! ROFL

·
Registered
279 Posts
Phil, she has seen you wheel! She would worry about us more if we were together than if we rode seperate! Here is how the conversations would go...

Phil: "well, should we go over that?"

Steve: "we can handle it!"

Phil: "well, should we go through that?"

Steve: "we can handle it!"

Phone call home to the wives: "It went well! We only broke...."

The papers would have a very nice obituary for us the next day.:lol:

In all seriousness though, the whole thing is not me wheeling the FJC, she is all for that. But rather me being gone that weekend when she was planning something nice. She said if I go, I am going without her. This is a big red flag because she loves to go with and her not wanting to be co-pilot is like her saying "You can go, but you may not want to come back!" Still testing the waters. If I can butter her up before hand, we may still make it out. I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I lost the directions... Can some one post grid or near by town. Checking with the boss. Just comming back from business trip on the 13th...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steve, my wife has had my funeral arrangements made for me since 1992. I just keep avoiding the whole death thing. LOL Let us know either way. Nobody will think less of you I promise!

Bert, the parks website is Welcome To McCaslin Mountain Campground If you look towards the bottom of the page you'll get an address and some directions. The easiest way to get there is take I-94 North to I-43. Then I-43 to Hwy 141 until you hit the little town of Crivitz. The directions from Crivitz are on their site. It's approximately 90 miles NW of Greenbay.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Doesn't look like I'll make this one, just getting off the plane. That would be a LOONG day.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I wont be making this one either. The wife let me know what she had planned so i would stop bugging her and we will be spending the day at an auto show at Borchardts speed shop in Milwaukee. I will be taking my Cosworth Vega there as well. When she goes so far as to look up events for your auto hobbies, you cant say no!

I will hit the trails with you guys before long...Dont worry. Plus i just picked up a "new" bumper from CRED. He didnt even get to take it offroading yet, so it really is like new. I would ideally like to get this installed first, but that means i need some OME886s up front and some synthetic line for the winch first. I want to do this once and do it right.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No issues here Steve! Any woman who takes her man and his Cos Vega are the goods in my book! All I can say is don't let her out of your sight! Besides she's a real sweetheart in my book!

Off-roading to us is having a guilty pleasure. We're ever so lucky to indulge in it yet realize we have understanding mates who let us gorge on it every so often. It's so much better for the soul!

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Soo Phil... Been keeping track of the weather this week!?

I was lucky to camp out in the forest just near McCaslin last weekend and wow was it wet! It should be a sloppy good old time and they are only slated to get more rain... Put a snorkle on that bad boy!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Joe,
Brian and I are heading to the CLiff's on Sunday instead. Whoever is interested can join us there then. Sorry about the change in plans but oh well. Our old **** can't make it that far without a repair vehicle and my fat fingers can't type that well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.