Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Welcome to the forum terrible.

It depends on what the primary use of the vehicle is and your personal taste.

The 6MT is full time 4WD with a Torsen center differential and lower gearing. The 5AT is part time 4WD with slightly higher gearing.

There have been many similar questions before, I recommend you use the search feature n the dark horizontal bar above.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you live were there is a lot of snow (like me) get the 6 speed. It is full time four wheel drive. The automatic with part time four wheel drive is useless. You have to leave it in two wheel drive if the roads are dry but if you hit a patch of ice you won't have time to shift to four wheel drive. Hello ditch!

·
Registered
355 Posts
The 6MT is harder to use off road. It requires quick feet and good technique. With the auto you can left foot brake while off-roading. I have the 6MT because I want full time 4 wheel drive for winter, but I also have always had a manual while off-roading so I'm use to it. The decision should be based on your experience level and the type of driving you are likely to be doing.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If you live were there is a lot of snow (like me) get the 6 speed. It is full time four wheel drive. The automatic with part time four wheel drive is useless. You have to leave it in two wheel drive if the roads are dry but if you hit a patch of ice you won't have time to shift to four wheel drive. Hello ditch!

:lol:

This gets debated all the time on here... Sean gave you the technical details... in the end, you should pick what you like to drive. I only drive stick! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
When i was in the market for the FJ, i was trilled tofind out it was avaible in a 6 speed manaul, since a manual tranny has always been my prefernace. I then found out it was only avaible in full time 4WD. I was really disapointed since i felt a full time 4WD was just a waste of gas as my FJ is used as my daily driver and i live in northern califorina, so i didn't feel the need for a full time 4WD in an SUV like the FJ. Then i drove the 6 speed....
... And that was the real deal breaker. It felt like i was driving a big rig with the long throughs, and i didn't care for the space between the pedals. Just didn't feel right to me. Bottom line is drive both, and determin what your needs/wants are from a vehicle.

As far as whitch is better off road, that question just can't be answered by anyone but yourself as it really just comes down to personal prefrenace. Some people will argue that this tranny is better cause of this,.. Or this one is better cause of that. Both have there advantages and dis-advantages. Iv'e wheeled with both, and for the FJ, i felt that the auto was a better choice... For me. Find out whitch is better for you.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you get manual the short shifter is a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The short shifter rocks!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
One foot that works and three pedals???? You do the math.....muahahaha.....I went auto fur shur!!!!

Seriously though it really depends on what you as a driver want. Voodoo Stu mentioned how good the 6MT is for snowy roads. I live in Eastern Canada and we get alot of snow here and I will admit that now and then it gets dicey on whether to engage 4wd or leave it in 2wd. But I manage ....Plus the better mileage earns big points on my budget.

It's up to you to decide....Good luck. I got an email from Saskgurl and she seems really happy with her new VD 6MT......

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Like some of the previous posters I'm a manual trannie guy, have been for 35+ years and never consider an AT when given an MT option. With that said, the AT in the FJ is superb, the gearing spot-on, the shifting quick & positive, well matched to the FJ's mission. I have this recommendation, if you're sure you can be happy with the AT get it, there is no downside. On the flip side the MT is a blast to drive; smooth shift action, good ratios, and NO problem to master in sticky off-road situations.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I prefer manual but full time 4 wheel drive is a waste of gas in flat Florida. I use 4 wheel drive on my job occasionally so it's nice to have but lack of availability (manual) and fears of replacing a clutch ($$) on a full time 4 x 4, persuaded me to try the auto. So far, so good. Really miss the clutch but I have motorcycles to help my ego.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Good advice from those that posted.. The FJ is my first AT since 1978; and I didn't keep it very long. In the snowbelt, go for the MT (full-time 4X4). The AT in the FJ is truly superb and you couldn't ask for a better setup, if occasional 4X4 is all you need. I'm doing a lot of very long roadtrips these days and the AT is more suited to the task. Good Luck.. Ron

When i was in the market for the FJ, i was trilled tofind out it was avaible in a 6 speed manaul, since a manual tranny has always been my prefernace. I then found out it was only avaible in full time 4WD. I was really disapointed since i felt a full time 4WD was just a waste of gas as my FJ is used as my daily driver and i live in northern califorina, so i didn't feel the need for a full time 4WD in an SUV like the FJ. Then i drove the 6 speed....
... And that was the real deal breaker. It felt like i was driving a big rig with the long throughs, and i didn't care for the space between the pedals. Just didn't feel right to me. Bottom line is drive both, and determin what your needs/wants are from a vehicle.

As far as whitch is better off road, that question just can't be answered by anyone but yourself as it really just comes down to personal prefrenace. Some people will argue that this tranny is better cause of this,.. Or this one is better cause of that. Both have there advantages and dis-advantages. Iv'e wheeled with both, and for the FJ, i felt that the auto was a better choice... For me. Find out whitch is better for you.
Like some of the previous posters I'm a manual trannie guy, have been for 35+ years and never consider an AT when given an MT option. With that said, the AT in the FJ is superb, the gearing spot-on, the shifting quick & positive, well matched to the FJ's mission. I have this recommendation, if you're sure you can be happy with the AT get it, there is no downside. On the flip side the MT is a blast to drive; smooth shift action, good ratios, and NO problem to master in sticky off-road situations.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Forgot to mention that the 5AT gets a little better mpg than the 6MT but the 6MT is just more fun to drive IMHO. That being said, for our needs we went with the 5AT even though my wife and I both prefer to drive a stick.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
We just did 300 miles through the mountains of Tennessee, Georgia and North Carolina and the AT performed much better than I expected. The shift gate is actually very well designed and when you get used to it, you can bounce around 2-3-4 as needed in the mountains with ease. Lots of 7-12% grades and curves and it was very easy to maintain 2000RPM up or down.. I like it... says the diehard manual guy.. LOL... Ron

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
ATRAC is a lot less useful in the MT, unless you are a master at staying off the clutch.
If finese fails I just stomp the gas and let the ATRAC hamsters figure out what to do.
I fondly remember the salesman saying I wouldn't want an MT, because it's hard to talk on the phone and drive.
That being said we definately want a MT then.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just had my 35,000 mile service today- and was sans FJ for 6.5 hours.

I was really hoping to use the down time at the dealer to test drive a 6MT FJ. It was about 100 degrees on the lot today, and none of the sales guys were interested in dealing with a guy who already had an FJ.

There were about 20 on the dealer lot and they were ALL automatic, except for the lone Trail Teams edition.

Maybe someday I'll run into someone at a meet-up that will swap rides with me for test drive.

I agree that the 5AT is great... but I know that after 2 years and 2 months of owning my FJ, I still have the urge to shift gears! (grin)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The MT has lower gearing than the AT, but the AT is a lot easier to drive in a technical off road situation.....then again, the MT is a whole lot more fun to drive than the ATs.:rocker:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I LOVE my MT, and the lower gearing is very noticable--on a lot of downhill trails I watch the other guy's brake light stay on while the go down the trail, I take my feet off the brakes and gas and just let it crawl.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts