Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Toyo Open Country MT

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
AlexJet. This poll sucks and is bias. Only list 4 manufactures of tires? I can think of at least another dozen or so of tire makers that make MT tires. What about them?

I vote for GoodYear and BFGoodrich. :)
He has narrowed it down to the above choices. I'm sure he's already "weeded" out the other ones.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice to hear real persons opinions with their experience.

Thanks Bodegas on pointing of the MTZ wear problem.

MountainMan, what do you want by saying this: if price were no option i would go Toyo, but since thats not my world i voted for the STTs?
Toyo is good, but go with STT...Why? Sorry, didn't get you right. I like the Toyos look and based on the thread pattern thought that they would be quiet on the highway and good in dirt/mud.
ya i guess i should have given a little more context :) i have heard a TON of great things about the Toyo from a bunch of guys that run them and work out in the gas fields of WY all day, all year. but they are like 300+ a tire which aint cheap, on the other hand i have run the Cooper ST tire for years and it was a good performer in all conditions that i tossed at it and the most amazing thing was the treadwear was awesome! so knowing that i would like to go with a bit more true MT tire than the ST, i am pretty sure the STT is the one i will do, and i think its about 210 a tire...

hope that clarifies a bit

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
BTW, Dragon runs the Firestone MT and loves them, and if i dont go with the STT then i will probably go with the Firestone, i like the STT a little better for looks and the sipping that it has over the FirestoneMT... but all the tires you have in your list have similar sipping

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
I am a BFG man my self but since they are not on the list I voted for Toyo. Great traction and durability, plus it looks really good. Still isn't a KM2 though. :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have Toyo MT 295/70/17

Great tire on and offroad.
Little on the pricey side, but I think they are worth it :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
As some said before. They are all probably pretty close in performance.

The Procomp tire is made by Cooper. I would buy the tire that has the best deal.

I've owned a set of Procomp MT's 35's & my buddy has set of 37 Procomp MT's with no complaints.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I love everything about the Toyos but the weight. I would highly recommened them and they do great in the snow too! I also have real world use in them too and they are quiet on the highway and smooth. Tire size is 35/12.50/17.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just bought the Toyos 285/75/16 at treadepot.com for something like 209 a tire with free shipping. I was leaning towards the Mickey Thompsons but hear of people having chunks of rubber come off. When I saw the deal on the Toyos i couldn't pass it up. If you have the 16" wheel with offroad package... might be a good option, the 17" versions are a lot more expensive. I haven;t put them on my Fj yet, but i've hear a lot of good about them and driven an FJ and a Tundra with them on - slight hum on the road - quieter than some other MT's I think.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Sounds like a great deal.

·
965 Posts
I'm running the Pro-Comps.

THey are a great tire in many ways off-road I love them. They have been great in the rains we have had in NorCal, I have yet to try them in the snow.

Noise wise they are good about the same in my opinion as the BFG AT's I used to run.

The only bad thing is they wear fairly quick. I am on a 5K rotation on them I will probably get another 15K on them and then need to replace them. I put them on just before Ouray last year. But that's the tradeoff to having a good grippy MT that you daily drive.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts