Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the start of my Formula Toy build up. I know that this is not an FJ but a couple of forum members have asked about my project so I decided to start a thread. For anyone who is interested here is a website for info on the Formula Toy Formula Toy. This is what a FToy is and pretty close to what I am going to build, except I am going to have 4 bucket seats.

The FToy uses a donor frame and running gear from a 4x4 Toyota. This is my donor truck, a 1987 4runner that I got for $300 in the condition you see it.

I gave away the removable top to a guy from Pirate4x4 and then proceeded to cut the back half off.

I gutted the interior and pulled the computer and wire harness in one piece.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Mark, that's great! You got quite a nice start with $300. The F toys are so awesome. Perfectly sized imho. When are you getting started withe the project? I'll try and make it over sometime this Summer.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cut the front inner fenders off and unbolted all of the engine components from the cab.

I cut the top off and cut the remaining cab in half to make it easier to take off of the frame.

The body loaded up on a trailer ready to be recycled.

The green 4runner body is my brothers that you might remember from http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/45437-rolled-allpro-jamboree-pics.html
This is what it looks like now.

Here is a couple of pics of the frame with the body stripped off.

That is the start, I will post more later. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
852 Posts
That looks like a freakin' blast! :rocker:

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Nice start Mark, looking forward to following along with the build. :)

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Do you have plans to upgrade the axle shafts? What size tire are you going to use? Are you going to modify the steering system and/or the brakes? Are you going to change out the ring/pinion sets? Are you going to do a crawl box, and if so, which?

I'm SUPER happy to see your major build project posted from the beginning on this board!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a little more work done Sunday night and tonight. New straight axle.

I will be using a Marlin Crawler dual case adaptor and this is the second transfer case.

My 9 year old helping cut off the body mounts. All of the mounts cut off, now we get to grind all of the welds off.

Driver and front passenger seats.

Rear seats for my kids. I went with 2 buckets because they hold the kids in alot better with the harnesses.

The truck had a blown head gasket so I am replacing that as well.

This is my gas powered golf cart that I need to sell to get parts for the FToy build. Anyone interested PM me.

That is it for tonight I am going out for a quick night cruise with the wife. I have to keep her happy, she is all for me building this project right now!!

I will post more in a couple of days. Thanks for the interest guys.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Very sharp concept and it looks as if you have your concept down. I hesitate to mention it but I'd succumb to the temptation to throw an LS1 engine in it and dump the old Toy motor. I know it's an even more radical approach because literally everything must go if you take it in that direction, but it would be so cool.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very sharp concept and it looks as if you have your concept down. I hesitate to mention it but I'd succumb to the temptation to throw an LS1 engine in it and dump the old Toy motor. I know it's an even more radical approach because literally everything must go if you take it in that direction, but it would be so cool.
There are alot of rock buggies like that. But the Formula Toy class was created for an inexpensive way to get into rock crawling competition. I do not plan to compete but I am going to build it within the rules so I have the option if I choose. If I were to build it outside the rules and never compete I would 4 link it and then rub it in Air2Air's face.:lol: Just kidding Todd.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
I have some gift certificates for Marlin Crawler that I don't plan to use. If you still need your Crawler box let me know and we can work something out for them. Total $350

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have some gift certificates for Marlin Crawler that I don't plan to use. If you still need your Crawler box let me know and we can work something out for them. Total $350
I will send you a PM

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Mark, that's a big 9 y/o there! Good to see you starting them young :). My boy is just learning what's a lug nut...

Josh, dang it Josh.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mark, that's a big 9 y/o there! Good to see you starting them young :). My boy is just learning what's a lug nut....
It may take me a little longer because he wants to do alot and I dont want to work on somthing else while he is grinding. So I stand next to him and watch just as my dad did. But it is worth it. I keep telling him next time we break on the trail he will have to stick around and help instead of playing on the rocks until we start moving again.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Mark, that's a big 9 y/o there! Good to see you starting them young :). My boy is just learning what's a lug nut...

Josh, dang it Josh.
Sorry Tony :(

At lest there going to a good home and will be used for some sweet parts. :)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
That thing is gonna be a BEAST when finished!!!:rocker: Keep the pics coming!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Awesome concept!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had the time/money/skills/money/resources/money to do something like that.... hah. Cant wait to see what this turns into though.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Advance adapters makes the parts to mate an LS1 to anything!

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Advance adapters makes the parts to mate an LS1 to anything!
Ya, but the rest of the drivetrain wouldn't be able to handle it.

Nice looking project. The FToys are really capable....though the rules for the class really limit the overall performance you can get.

If you don't ever plan to compete....go ahead and build on the cheap for now, but seriously think about upgrading as time/money allow.

JMO,
Sean

1 - 20 of 97 Posts