Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, wowww it's been a while since I have posted. Anyways, I blew out my Alpine Type X sub yesterday. It has been on a downfall for quite a while, but yesterday did it. Unscrewed the sub and took it out of the box and smoke POURED out of the box.

Someone was telling me to look into MTX 9500 subs. I REALLY want these but not sure what box to put them in. I will be putting 2 12's in a ported box. I want this to still sound really clean but hit HARD. I was looking at the MTX Sledgehammer Enclosures for the 9500's and they look really good, but how do they sound?

They look pretty neat and also have a complete bracing system for the subs (because of weight). This enclosure will probably be cheaper then me getting one made.

Links:
Car Audio Subwoofer - Thunder9500 SuperWoofer
MTX SledgeHammer9500 Enclosures

EDIT:

Okay so I read somewhere that these enclosures suck? They are nicknamed "SludgeHammers". How true is this? Maybe I will just get a box made. Might be cheaper. How do these subs compare to Kicker L7's? and JL W7's?

I will be running them BOTH off of a Rockford Fosgate 20001bd sub amplifier.

·
Registered
43 Posts
MTX's newer models subs are fantastic. However, the 9500 is a completely different beast from the cheap Type-X you had. It can withstand serious punishment, but it's not going to be as fast as other models (7500, 8500 etc). It's more of a deep-bass sub. It's a sub that'll last you for awhile, and that will of course pound, and those are the TWO reasons most people buy it, but it IS kinda a muddy sounding subwoofer. Just remember to give each of them 1000 watts if you want maximum performance out of them, don't skimp out on watts with those subwoofers.

Kicker L7's are pieces of crap. They pound, sure, but they sound like utter crap. Square subs designed solely for pushing air, not really making it sound good. The W7 is a good sub, but it will sound TOTALLY different than the 9500\Type-X etc, either you love it, or you hate it, because you will find some music that you loved before with you're Type-X, that you just HATE with the W7, and some music that you love more than ever due to the notes it'll pick. It just goes low to the point where it almost sounds like unrealistic bass to me, that's the only way I can put it.

Also, you need to remember you are simply going to have to upgrade you're alternator if you got two 9500s, or two w7s etc. You're alternator won't be able to remotely keep up with that power, even more so at a what I would say unstable 1 ohm on that rockford. I'd put a fan on the amp actually, 1ohm runs REAL hot. But realistically you are maybe at max doing...what...1200 watts? You're alternator just can't pump the juice that amp needs. In all honesty, I see no need to go with 2 of those unless you are willing to fork out the cash on a new alternator, and some serious sound deadener.

You seem to just want pressure...why not just go with a high-quality 15" in a big box? You can run it at 2 ohm then and give it plenty of power.

Oh, but on the topic of 9500 vs W7 (don't even bother with Kicker) I'd personally go with the 9500. The w7 will sound better, but the 9500 is going to take a LOT more punishment. Just remember...you get two..you will be under powering them, and subs like that don't like to be underpowered. And no, the sledgehammer enclosures do not suck. They are built to match the MTX sub you buy them in. They are fantastic for a pre-fab box, whoever told you "they suck" has more than likely been buying the bottom line 4500 MTX crap (every company has that low-level "loudest on the block" crap that is terrible)

You get what you pay for. And I noticed you said "clean" generally, a subwoofer that has a voice-coil that requires over 1000w or at that, is NOT going to sound clean as a more efficient woofer, aka a MTX 7500\8500 will sound far cleaner than a 9500, just by design. Just as the W6, will sound far cleaner than the W7, any day of the week.

Why don't you go to a local audio shop and listen to these subwoofers? I would NOT buy a W7 or 9500 etc without listening to them..or any sub for that matter.

And the final thing. In the past, up until 07, MTX was crap. Boldy put, utter crap. They they redesigned their woofers and started putting out subwoofers that sounded amazingly good for the price range. Since then, they have been going up. The upcoming TR models are supposed to sound fantastic (though those would not suit you're amplifier) and they just keep getting better. Make sure whoever you talk to on the topic of MTX is actually up to date and has experience with their new woofers, not some JL douchebag who is biased and doesn't listen to any woofer but his own and says every other subwoofer out there blows but his.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jesus!!! That was an amazing write up. Actually it was on a sound forum in 2005 when I read that those boxes suck. If you are right about 07 being there revamping time, then I will take your word. I do want clean bass (I listen to a lot of metal, rock, dave matthews... etc) and I want it to be clean and efficient...but I also listen to Jay Z, Eminem (sometimes) and Drum and Bass, and I want to have the ability to POUND.

I want two woofers so that each woofer is doing half the work to produce the same amount of bass as one woofer. I had two Alpine Type X's in my Magnum 2 years ago, and it sounded pretty good. How much would a new alternator run me and which ones should I look into? I read the bench test for the Rockford and I believe it said at 1 ohm it can produce over 2000 watts. But I will also need to buy a new battery and alternator.

I do NOT want a 15...because those, to me, seem and sound sloppy (the ones I have heard). Do you think the 8500 would be more suited for my application? I want basically the best of both worlds. If the 9500 can perform cleanly enough in a ported application, I would go that route.

The whole interior of the FJ is sound deadened as well.

Again, thanks for the insane write up!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks Jesus!!! That was an amazing write up. Actually it was on a sound forum in 2005 when I read that those boxes suck. If you are right about 07 being there revamping time, then I will take your word. I do want clean bass (I listen to a lot of metal, rock, dave matthews... etc) and I want it to be clean and efficient...but I also listen to Jay Z, Eminem (sometimes) and Drum and Bass, and I want to have the ability to POUND.

I want two woofers so that each woofer is doing half the work to produce the same amount of bass as one woofer. I had two Alpine Type X's in my Magnum 2 years ago, and it sounded pretty good. How much would a new alternator run me and which ones should I look into? I read the bench test for the Rockford and I believe it said at 1 ohm it can produce over 2000 watts. But I will also need to buy a new battery and alternator.

I do NOT want a 15...because those, to me, seem and sound sloppy (the ones I have heard). Do you think the 8500 would be more suited for my application? I want basically the best of both worlds. If the 9500 can perform cleanly enough in a ported application, I would go that route.

The whole interior of the FJ is sound deadened as well.

Again, thanks for the insane write up!

Well, mines sound deadened as well with over 330sqft of dynamat extreme, and bunch of panels filled with great stuff and R-13 insulation, It still rattles with my 2 12". I think the 9500 will suit you fine, the main reason I'd recommend it is because of it's durability. And yeah, 15" are sloppier, but I wasn't sure if you just want air-pressure or good sounding bass.

And yes, the Rockford can put out 2k watts, but I was saying 1 ohm is VERY hot, I'd think about putting a fan the amp to cool it down, and 1 ohm it won't be very efficient, so yeah you pretty much need a new alt\battery.

Btw, if you want to know what happened to MTX. For a long time the grand-father of the company owned it, and was directing the sub woofer development\amplifier area. Then he recently passed it on to his grand son, now clearly a grand son is going to like bass more than a 60 year old man right? Well, apparently the son turned the company around, as now they are doing MUCH better. I wonder if down the road they'll make a custom enclosure w\ sub woofer like they do for other vehicles.

If you want to go above and beyond, aka get a sub that most people have never heard of, nor heard in general, but will blow most anything out of the water. Check out Ground Zero. Expect to pay a lot more $$$, but my god are they incredible. Really big power hogs though.

Here's a vid of one of their little tens.
YouTube - Ground Zero hydrogen 10" sub

Only reason I didn't get them is I like to buy subwoofers that I can find\replace locally, and uh...the good ones are really expensive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hay im very new to the forum, and being and car audio freak this is the area is the first place i checked out. I read above that your interested in 2 mtx 9500's and im trying to sell both of mine. In a custom ported box. and i dont know if u need amps, but i have two amps, one for each of the subs. Im selling them cause im selling the truck there in, and got an FJ. so if your interested just drop me a line.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
the mtx 9500 is a good woofer but it isnt as versitle as many others. what amplifier are you planning on running?

i am not sure what your budget is, but it isnt very hard to build your own box with a good set of plans and the right tools. you will probably spend 35 bucks on material for a box. i have had great luck with a pair of 10"s ported in the FJ. it is just about the right amount of cone area for the cab. it plays low, high, and everything in between. and it gets nasty loud at any frequency. when i listen to hip hop with a lot of complicated bass lines, it handles those with easy and super clean and defined note shifts, when i listen to jazz or live recordings, the bass flows smoothly, and when i was listening to the newer disturbed CD yesterday, i was blown away by how quick, responsive, and accurate the bass setup was. it is by far the most dynamic bass i've ever heard especially with my wide variety of music tastes.

let me remind you that i am ported. i run a lot of power from a great amplifier behind them, and the box design is perfect, which is everything in a bass setup.

also, a proper ported box for a pair of 12"s will have to be much larger than this one.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the mtx 9500 is a good woofer but it isnt as versitle as many others. what amplifier are you planning on running?

i am not sure what your budget is, but it isnt very hard to build your own box with a good set of plans and the right tools. you will probably spend 35 bucks on material for a box. i have had great luck with a pair of 10"s ported in the FJ. it is just about the right amount of cone area for the cab. it plays low, high, and everything in between. and it gets nasty loud at any frequency. when i listen to hip hop with a lot of complicated bass lines, it handles those with easy and super clean and defined note shifts, when i listen to jazz or live recordings, the bass flows smoothly, and when i was listening to the newer disturbed CD yesterday, i was blown away by how quick, responsive, and accurate the bass setup was. it is by far the most dynamic bass i've ever heard especially with my wide variety of music tastes.

let me remind you that i am ported. i run a lot of power from a great amplifier behind them, and the box design is perfect, which is everything in a bass setup.

also, a proper ported box for a pair of 12"s will have to be much larger than this one.
Thanks Briman! That looks like an insane set up. What kind of subs are those? I have currently a Rockford Fosgate T20001bd amplifier to run the subs.

I do NOT want to upgrade my amp. Money is short, but I need to have music to keep me sane.

How much bigger does the box have to be? I am worried about that because I have onboard air in the back taking up about a 4th of the space. I might actually think about relocating the on board air setup.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
those are Digital Designs woofers (DD). great product. havent had anything but DD woofers for the last three years. the box would most likely kill the rest of your space if the compressor stays in the rear. it would have to be pretty darn tall as well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not much into car audio, used to be years ago. Check out this company
Elemental Designs

They started as car audio and broke into home audio. Not familiar with their car audio products, but I have a home audio sub by them and it is very nice. Their home audio subs are up there with SVS or HSU, so I am betting car audio is as good. If you order a complete sub or box it takes a few weeks, cause everything is hand constructed to order. They are coated with a substance similar to line-x, even their home audio. They will build your design or custom create one for you.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Not much into car audio, used to be years ago. Check out this company
Elemental Designs

They started as car audio and broke into home audio. Not familiar with their car audio products, but I have a home audio sub by them and it is very nice. Their home audio subs are up there with SVS or HSU, so I am betting car audio is as good. If you order a complete sub or box it takes a few weeks, cause everything is hand constructed to order. They are coated with a substance similar to line-x, even their home audio. They will build your design or custom create one for you.
ED was a big hit when they first got into the market years ago. they faded out of the headlines quickly, for good reasons.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Elemental Designs is regarded by many professionals like myself in the world of Audio as a "entry level" line of gear. Looking for something that is cheep and "good-enough" to get the job done. Then E.D. is fine. But, other than that, I would look at maybe getting something better. :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts