Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bushrat and I went on a run yesterday and I found myself pretty deep in a mud puddle. I won't get into the details of how I got there and the ordeal of me hitching up my recovery strap (it would give anew meaning to the "Blue" Forum), but Bushrat jerk me out and we finally got out of the area much later then planned.

My concern is muddy water possibly in the drive train and what should I do if there is any somewhere??? Advice please.

Below are a couple of photos of my situation. I was pretty deep and worked it quite a bit before getting jerk out.

I might expect a little razzing, but I would really appreciate some advice.
Thanks in advance!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Check your fluids. Change them if necessary. I believe you can have your transmission "flushed" also if there are too many contaminants in there. You have your rear diff, transfer case, trans, and front diff's to check and or change.

Perform the scuba mod. Which is to relocate the breather valves for the rear diff, rear locker, trans, transfer case. Search "scuba mod" and you will see a stick thread that tells how.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, I was hoping for some advice and voila, here it is! Thanks you two.:clap:

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
X2 with what everyone else said.

If it got in deeper than the photo shows, I'd check the engine intake and make sure that your primary and secondary filter are ok. It appears to have gone deeper than the intake (above the r/f tire) and if you sucked in water, you may have other things to consider. Even if it didn't go down into the engine (thus causing you a world of pain), you should make sure that the air intake pathway is free of dirt/debris/fluid, etc.

Crack open your fuse boxes and if there is any moisture there, let them dry out.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Clean your radiator fins real good from both sides, top-to-bottom, side-to-side so that you don't experience overheating problems.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm still cleaning things up. I will be visiting the auto store for some method of delivering oil and fluids as well as the list of 'scuba mods' essentials. I'm then going to check the differential and will post the results.

I did go in a little deeper but found nothing in the engine bay that was out of the ordinary, just really a lot of dirt. (Gotta find a thread on recommended method of cleaning the engine bay)

I never intended to ever do any deep water stuff and don't intend to do any in the future, but you know stuff happens.

Farther down the same trail, Bushrat and I got really stuck in some gooey stuff. We aired down and presto with a little workin' it, we got free and looked at each other and said (again) jeez these FJ's work good!

Thanks again for your responses and for this forum.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
831 Posts
change all of youre fluids including tranny flush you have water in them all for sure i was in that deep and i had water in them all

·
Registered
599 Posts
Snorkel!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts