Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much harder are the mud terains on the fj in regards to gas milage and wear and tear? Im torn between the two. I love the mud terains but my fj is more of a daily driver. I do plan on doing the rubicon next year however. Thanks guys

jason

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I have the MTs and love them, but the only thing is they are a bit loud on road and seem to wear faster than the ATs b/c of it's softer compound. They perform great off road, but if you use you FJ as a DD/wheeler the ATs are your best bet.

·
Full -N- Down
641 Posts
I love my MT's and wouldn't change. They are loud though. As mentioned, if you do a lot of commuting you should probably go with the AT's. My MT's with extra hand siping are wearing quite well and show virtually no wear and have no issues at 10,000 miles. I get the epa estimate of 18mpg (actually ranges between 17.5 and 18mpg) on the highway with my tires, but they are slightly narrower than stock to that might help me some.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have Nitto mudders and they sound like a turbine jet on the road. Ride on road isnt bad but I wouldnt say its good either AT would def. ride better , and grip like a cat thrown on a carpeted wall off-road but I agree if you never go in wet dirt if go with the AT.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The myth used to be that MT were to soft and AT lasted longer, not anymore. I Chose BF Goodrich KM2: These Bad boys are a new generation of MTs that last longer, much quieter on the road, excellent off-road performance and Still have that agressive look.
Check this video out.

Mud-Terrain™ T/A® KM2

Heres my Rubbers on my shoes...

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I have MT's and love them. I was told they were gonna be really loud and they are not. I was told it was gonna kill my gas mileage and it is basically the same, 15-17 mpg. I was also told that they wear down quickly and so far they are still nobby as hell (2000 miles and look brand new) so if I were you I would take the chance.

I have crappy iphone pics but maybe it will help in your decision process...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Not all A/T tires were created equal. I use them and have been generally happy with the A/T performance of the Nitto Terra Grapplers. They are NOT as good as mud tires in mud or in snow, however in all other categories, they're excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to take my rig on the Rubicon as-is.

Some traction differences can be handled with running with lower air, particularly if you're handling rocks. IMO the A/T's work FINE on rocks. It's the wet weather where they are not the equal of the M/T's.

And yes there is a noise difference between A/T's and M/T's in almost ALL cases.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I have 2 sets of tires. Super Swamper LTB 34X10.5X16 and Goodyear MT/R 305/70/16. I get about 250-260 with the LTBs. With the MT/R, I get consistent 290ish. Both sets of tires are loud, but they sing a different tune. The LTBs have a lower pitch roar (sounds like big transport propeller airplanes). The MT/R though slightly quieter, is not as pleasant to the ear. When I ran stock tires (same setup otherwise), I averaged 300-320 to the light. A usual fill up is about 16 gallons. I don't overfill and I record my mileage based when the light comes on. I run 87 octane.

The LTBs are a very aggressive mud terrain. It's 10 ply so it ride pretty rough. It's also bias ply so road handling suffers a bit. MT/Rs in contrast handles pretty good on the road. It's also significantly more compliant over paved surfaces. It's a 8 ply design so there really isn't any surprises. When deflated for off road use, the MT/Rs bulge out much earlier then LTBs. I have no experience with AT tires, but I wanted to point out that even with MT style tires, there are significant differences between brands.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
great ? im in the same boat, i have to get tires before sept. for the n/e maine lobster run, i think the bfg a/t for me

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I went with the BFG KM2s. Great tire and do what I wanted them to, pull me through slippery muddy rocks. They are noisy on road but not nearly as bad as I had experienced with MTs in the past.

I have the stock Bridgestones still and only run the KM2s when I am going wheeling. Takes about a half hour to swap them out. Looksmuch cooler with the MTs on but the gas mileage loss and wera and tear on the MTs is not worth looking cooler.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors and love them. I do mostly long trips on highways and there is a slight increase in road noise and a slightly rougher ride than that I experienced with the stock Dunlop.

The tradeoff comes with better handling, steering and much better traction. I don't feel like I am hydroplaning when driving in heavy rain. I am sure this will also translate to better handling in snow.

Gas mileage is almost identical.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Not all A/T tires were created equal. I use them and have been generally happy with the A/T performance of the Nitto Terra Grapplers. They are NOT as good as mud tires in mud or in snow, however in all other categories, they're excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to take my rig on the Rubicon as-is.
I currently have those same tires (with the Toyo badge) on my FJC and agree completely; they have far exceeded my expectations off-road and still have excellent highway characteristics. I have more than 55,000 on mine and they still have a lot of tread left too.

However, I did lose one off-road on my last trip to New Mexico and need to replace it. This is the first flat I've ever had with this truck or these tires. Looks like a cactus did it in but it's hard to tell. For the record, mine are the load range "D" tires with 2-ply sidewall and 8-ply rating; you can get them in an "E" rating with a 3-ply sidewall and a 10-ply rating.

After a little on-line research, I found that Toyo makes their Open Country M/T tires in a 285/75/17 size, which is a true 34" tire with the same width as the 285/70/17 A/T tire. These tires are also load range "E", 10-ply rated. They are heavy at 71 lbs. a piece! But I figure the weight will be worth the extra sturdiness off-road (and no trails yet) on my place in New Mexico, and I get another 1/2" of ground clearance without rubbing. So, I just bought five of these but will only replace the spare until I get some more mileage out of the rest of my A/T's, or at least until my next trip to NM.

When I do put them on, I will report back on the road noise versus the A/T's. The A/T's are very quiet (to me, but my hearing is not good).

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I too have two sets of tires. I run Bridgestone dueller AT 285s on the stock alloy rims, and Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 285s on Poison Spyder Beadlocks.

If you are only going to get one set, go with the MT. These Mickey Thompsons area amazingly quite and smooth for such an aggressive tread. If you rotate them EVERY oil change (3000 mi), they will last a long time. I've been running the MTs all the time and have had no problems. I'll probably switch to the Duellers in the winter, but maybe not.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think you will find that the biggest difference is fuel economy. The new breed of M/T's seem to last comparatively speaking close with the A/T. However handling , road sound etc. , as well as slightly quicker wear are the trade offs. I use to have a set of Hankook RTO3 M/T’s which were like a aggressive all terrain tire and they wore exceptionally well, excellent handling and lower road noise compared to most other mudders out there.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate all of your input, im ranging closer to Mud terain. I was wondering if you guys think 305/70/17s are to small for the RC lift. Thanks
jason

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I was wondering if you guys think 305/70/17s are to small for the RC lift. Thanks
jason
Do you still have the stock upper control arms, or does the RC kit come with new ones? The 305's will likely rub on the stock UCA's because they are so wide.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I have 305s on Wheelers wheels. They clear just fine. I'm not positive the Wheelers are the same specs as stock wheels though.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I have 305s on Wheelers wheels. They clear just fine. I'm not positive the Wheelers are the same specs as stock wheels though.
A local buddy ("Zippy" here on the forum) has 305/70/17 Nittos on stock alloy wheels and they rubbed when turning, in fact limited his full turn until he put aftermarket UCA's on.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
A local buddy ("Zippy" here on the forum) has 305/70/17 Nittos on stock alloy wheels and they rubbed when turning, in fact limited his full turn until he put aftermarket UCA's on.
Next time I get the wheel off, I'll measure the backspacing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I run the KM2's on my DD and my MPG dropped from about 19 on the road to about 16-17 depending on the load/speed. At 50 mph, I get around 20 mpg according to the scangauge, but how long can you drive at that speed? I have 5k miles into them and they all look brand new except for the mud painting. Going from the stock duelers to the KM2's+OME lift, my tank to tank range dropped from 300mi/tank to now 240mi/tank. I'm not sure what others have gotten with their BFG A/T's but I've heard around 270 is a fair number, correct me if I'm wrong.

Final note, I love the look of my MT's even if the gas efficiency is lower. I also don't have to air down to keep up with others running aired down A/T's he he he. If I have to air down to get more traction, some other driver is really going to be hurting :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts