Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2011 FJ, in South Florida, to be used weekends in Everglades mud, not in western canyons full of stones or sand.
Destined to be a daily driver, so I want a tire with a nice balance of quiet and mud-handling abilities.

I have been considering a few tires,the BFG All Terrain TA on one side of the equation, a Nito Trail Grapler MT on the other extreme, and the GY Duratrac somewhere between them.

Is the Nitto so much noisier than the others?
Is the BFG TA not as good in mud?
Is the Duratrac a nice balance of those features?

Danke,

Jorgen

·
Registered
614 Posts
I used to live in Florida and had the BFG AT. I didn't like how they performed in the rain and mud. I switched to the Maxxis BigHorns and they were way better in rain and good in mud. This is what I can share.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Goodyear Wrangler MTRs with asymmetrical tread....best tire I have ever owned. They are more expensive than most, but worth it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i have bfg km2, i use for daily drive, kinda same price why not buy mud km2, no sound for me when driving in highway, ofcourse it wears off more faster.. but the aggressive looking it worth it :)yes and i use for daily 285/70/17

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Mud tread patterns are always noisier. There isn't any way around it. It doesn't mean you can't daily drive them, but you shouldn't select a mud tire based on the highway sound it makes.... because it's singing to you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am a fan of the Wrangler MTR's but i'm running Toyo M/T's for daily driver about 50 miles a day and they've been awesome. Everyone who hops in is quite surprised at how quietly they ride. Obviously that's not how it was at first though. They'll slowly wear in and whatever you go with, remember to rotate them!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I got the BFG A/T's since I spend more time on the road than the mud. They are not too loud on the road but man to they suck it in the mud :)

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Had BFG KM2`s put in 2 weeks ago and i wouldn`t say that they are loud.. TRD exhaust still louder :lol:

I must say, fantastic tire, performance on ice, snow, rain and highway. Balanced really well too. The only time i feel the M/T nature of it, when i slow down to like 1 mph, that`s where i can feel it through the steering wheel..

Expect hit on MPG though.. Having 6 M/T i went from 17.2 - 17.5 average with stock size Nitto TG`s to 16 or so with 33" KM2s. But it is still cold, i expect to get close to 17 when spring finally arrives :boohoo:

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Mud tread patterns are always noisier. There isn't any way around it. It doesn't mean you can't daily drive them, but you shouldn't select a mud tire based on the highway sound it makes.... because it's singing to you.
+1, and they get noisier the older (more miles) they get. I have Toyo Open Country MT's on my FJC and they are good tires, but you can definitely hear them whine on the highway. I just turn up the stereo to drown out both the tire whine and the wind howling through my Gobi roof rack.

I have BFG KM2 MT's on my other Cruiser and like those too. They seem to be more quiet than the Toyos but they only have less than 5,000 miles on them and the Toyos have probably 50,000+.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I have the Dick Cepek 35" Mud Country's that i daily drive. Gas Mileage SUCKS, but overall they are a sweet tire.

Very tame on the highway and super quiet for MTs!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I cant Speak for the Spicific tires your Requesting about. I have a Daily driver with 17000 Miles on it and have run Nitto Mud grapplers... THey "SING" But have performed Both on road and off. Mud tires will be louder, Both the Goodyears and Nitto terras are great tires...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm surprised more people don't use the destination M/T's here...Great on the road, they push deep water out to the sides rather than to the front, excellent in mud and beach sand, and some people are getting 75,000miles out of them! I've had mine for about 15k mi now and I have no complaints and no noticeable wear, they've performed flawlessly everywhere I've taken them. Pulled a loaded 8k lb work truck out of deep beach sand this past weekend with no problem:)

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm on my 2nd set of Goodyear MTR's on my 2007, got 60K+ out of my first set. I used them on my D90, too - had a brand new set on when it got totaled. :( Great tires albeit not exactly quiet. ;-)

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I am running a set of Goodyear Fierce Attitude MT 285/70/17

I have been very happy with how they perform off road as well as on the road. Rather quiet on the street and clears the mud & snow VERY fast. They look mean too.

Check them out.

Fierce Tires | Home

They are rather new on the market.

Make my truck look mean too.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the BFG A/Ts on now. Nice tire but I won't be taking them into the sticky stuff. Will be changing them out to the Firestone Destination M/T once Roadway Tire in Pompano Beach has them back in stock.

FWIW, my FJC is not a daily driver (it's stored for months at a time), I'm more concerned about getting in/out of the fun places.

I guess the best scenario for a DD is to run A/S or A/T tires and have another set of M/Ts for off road.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts