Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy some new tires Interco Super Swamper LTB. but there are 2 possible numbers which sound good for what we do the most here which is Mudding.

34x10.50 16
33x13.50 16

is it better to have a slim tall tire or a wide tire for mudding? I've done some searches but still the results are very confusing.

If you have any other tire brand or size options let me know.

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
For mud -narrow tends to bite down and work better. I have the BFG 255/80R17's which are like a 33.3" tire thats 10 1/2" wide. works great in mud and there a 10 ply so they have thick side walls. Heres a picture of them. (the ones at the bottom are 315/75R16's -not real efficient in mud- FJ cant move them fast enough.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
You dont want to float in mud you want to dig down where the grip is good and go (think tractor tires). Big fat tires will fill up with mud and the FJ's power will have a hard time keeping them spinning. Not saying it wont work but the wider you go the more issues your going to have in mud.

Now for crawling wide is good but 305's are like fat 33" tires and a 285/70 R17 would be cheaper and work better since it has less mass to rotate throw the muck and allow for the same height. Plus 305's typically require BMC and some spacers sometimes depending on wheel backspacing.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Good luck finding any tires by Interco, they had to move their production line in early 2010, so everything is back ordered. Make sure you call before you buy online, every site lists the tires, but not one has them in stock.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Only if you want to cruise down the highway and not downshift all the time. Basically your cruise control would be useless. But with Interco's its not likely youll be going down the highway:lol: ... well at least not too fast.

They did close their large plant in Ohio so a lot of them are out of stock. I would look into the BFG's since they hold up well both on the road and off. Mine have over 30,000 miles are a little over 1/2 worn.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Taller skinny ones tend to work better in thinner watery type of mudd for cutting through and getting down to the more solid ground.
Fatter tires aired down work well giving you a wider foot print for more solid thicker type mud allowing you to "ride on top" of the mud instead of sinking into it..

If your in Florida its personal choice and alot of the Skinny pedal! :lol: We have all types of mud (But Mostly Swamp) and no one tire is the best.....:rocker:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Wow that's awesome mileage.

So BFG KM2 would be better than a SS LTB?

These are 2 very different tires, and no you don't need to regear to run 34s. Highway driving is fine.

SS LTB are a dedicated mud tire, this means the own it off road. It also meas that a not a street friendly tire, I am still amazed they are DOT approved.

They are loud, like to pull on the highway, and wear down quick. They are not good on wet roads and don't have a chance in snow/ice on the road.

KM2 are a good all around tire that can be used all year, quiet in comparison, will last a long time, good off road performance.

Do searching o the forum, there are countless threads about tires.

·
Registered
900 Posts
You should also pay attention to the Load range on those Interco's! I had some SS-M16s and the only size that fit was an "E" .... And sold them off in 2 months! I couldn't even air them down, dropped them to 5psi and not even a lil bulge! As far as on road, I might as well been riding on 33in tall rims and no rubber! They beat out all the grease from every component in my front end! that's what I get for not reading all the specs on a tire and just buying them for the size. :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a question about this whole large diameter tire / cruise control issue. What diameter makes it such that the cruise control doesn't work without re-gearing? Does anyone know the answer to this? I am looking to buy 285/75R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, which are 33.8" diameter. If my cruise control is going to be useless, however, that will change my decision. I will probably go with a 285/70R17 in that case.

These are 2 very different tires, and no you don't need to regear to run 34s. Highway driving is fine.

SS LTB are a dedicated mud tire, this means the own it off road. It also meas that a not a street friendly tire, I am still amazed they are DOT approved.

They are loud, like to pull on the highway, and wear down quick. They are not good on wet roads and don't have a chance in snow/ice on the road.

KM2 are a good all around tire that can be used all year, quiet in comparison, will last a long time, good off road performance.

Do searching o the forum, there are countless threads about tires.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have a question about this whole large diameter tire / cruise control issue. What diameter makes it such that the cruise control doesn't work without re-gearing? Does anyone know the answer to this? I am looking to buy 285/75R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, which are 33.8" diameter. If my cruise control is going to be useless, however, that will change my decision. I will probably go with a 285/70R17 in that case.
My tires are the same size as 33.8 , cruise control works fine, downshifts only when going up hill.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the info ruebarb. I have been stressing over getting my mods right. I read your build thread. It is extremely impressive. Your mods look like a lot of long weekends worth of work. My FJ is an original 2007, and is a 6MT. So, my final gear ration should be a tad higher than an automatic. Therefore, logic would dictate that if you aren't having cruise control problems with your rig, I should be fine. I noticed you said you have Super Swampers on aftermarket 16" rims. You mentioned you have alternate wheels for trips and winter. Are your alternate wheels the stock alloys with 285/75R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers? I was trying to find some pics of your alternate setup, but I think I only saw the Super Swampers.

How did you take care of the body mount rubbing? Did you chop, or just deal with rubbing during turns when the wheel is stuffed?

Part of me is debating selling my 2007 6MT and getting a new 2011 AT. I wanted the 6MT for permanent 4WD. While I admit it handles great, I am not sure the gas mileage and clutch working has been worth it. On the other hand, it makes far more sense to mod an older FJ that is paid off, rather than risk messing up a new vehicle.

As you can see, I am a master of analysis paralysis! All I really want is an FJ that rides the line between a daily driver and enough added off road capability and looks to satisfy me. It turns out this isn't so straightforward.

My tires are the same size as 33.8 , cruise control works fine, downshifts only when going up hill.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Thanks. I have the stock size tires on 17" rims. I am running Good year Wrangler Silent armor. They are good for the snow and long drives. I did the body mount chop for the 34's, never tried the tires without the chop, so I am not sure how much rubbing there would be. No rubbing at full stuff.

Thanks for the info ruebarb. I have been stressing over getting my mods right. I read your build thread. It is extremely impressive. Your mods look like a lot of long weekends worth of work. My FJ is an original 2007, and is a 6MT. So, my final gear ration should be a tad higher than an automatic. Therefore, logic would dictate that if you aren't having cruise control problems with your rig, I should be fine. I noticed you said you have Super Swampers on aftermarket 16" rims. You mentioned you have alternate wheels for trips and winter. Are your alternate wheels the stock alloys with 285/75R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers? I was trying to find some pics of your alternate setup, but I think I only saw the Super Swampers.

How did you take care of the body mount rubbing? Did you chop, or just deal with rubbing during turns when the wheel is stuffed?

Part of me is debating selling my 2007 6MT and getting a new 2011 AT. I wanted the 6MT for permanent 4WD. While I admit it handles great, I am not sure the gas mileage and clutch working has been worth it. On the other hand, it makes far more sense to mod an older FJ that is paid off, rather than risk messing up a new vehicle.

As you can see, I am a master of analysis paralysis! All I really want is an FJ that rides the line between a daily driver and enough added off road capability and looks to satisfy me. It turns out this isn't so straightforward.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts