Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My wife and I have three dogs (pembroke welsh corgis) and we plan to take them all over the place with us. Well just her for the moment since I'm overseas. Anyways back to the question. My wife will need to fit three medium to large sized crates into the car. My major concerns are ease of getting them in and out of the crates and to keep the crates from sliding around. What kind of set up are you guys using to secure multiple crates in the back of your FJ?

I saw the thread where someone is building the cage to keep their dog in the back area, but that isn't quite what I'm looking for at the moment.

Thanks,

Colin

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Colin,

First, welcome to the forum. This is an amazing place where everyone is willing to help you out. :)

Ok, are you certain that you will require crates? I only ask because I use seat belt restraints for my two dogs (both in the 80 pound range). They aren't your run of the mill seat belts from the Pet store. They clip in very easily to the links on the back of the rear seats and can be adjusted to allow your dog as much room to move as you wish.

If you're interested I'll give you more info on them and where to order them online. I have used them for years and now recommend them to our clients as well. Let me know and I will send it on...

Also, I love Corgi's!!! BIG dog in a little body!!! :):):)

:) nic

·
Registered
534 Posts
Are you planning on building a platform to level the space? As far I as I know there is just no way to get the back seats level and that would be an issue when trying to fit three cages.

Space planning in my head, three medium to large cages seems a bit tight even levelled.....but maybe I am just visualizing cages that are too large.

My dogs are too big for cages that would fit in the FJ so we are thinking about going the cargo netting route for both behind the front seat and at the back door.

I can't remember the name of the vendor who sells them right now though, but you can probably find them with the search function if you are interested in keeping the furballs all together.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I just bought one of those collapsable crates for our Australian Shepherd. She seems happier when she is in a "den" so I got one that was just barely big enough to accommodate her. I seriously doubt three of the ones I bought would fit in the FJ.
I'm sure a custom 3 stall cage could be built back there that would maximize space for each dog rather than settling for the closest fit.

I know that's probably not the answer you're looking for, but I'm not familiar with the size of the breed you are referring to. If they are small you should have no problems using the d-rings in the back to tie down some small crates.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Their not really tall dogs, however they are long. I can't really find a length on them but they are about 25-30lbs and 10-12in tall at the shoulders. I will post a pictures of them, that might help some get an idea of their size.

The reason my wife and I want to crate them is that she takes them on long road trips. From New Mexico to North Carolina. They don't always stay in their crate, however sometimes they are just happier in their own little space.

Do you guys have any pictures of the seat belt restraints or the cargo net solutions?

Thanks,

Colin

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
I am still looking around for a better solution but currently I am only using two crates since I only have two dogs, JRTs. Given the size of the Corgis, your crates are going to be a great deal smaller. I think you can fit three crates back there. Midwest does sell a product made for SUVs.

Here is a shot for an agility trial we competed at. My big boy JRT rescue, Scout is locked onto a dog competing in one of the two rings as the standard course was some 25' away. My other JRT, Chloe, isn't pictured as I am warming her up - Jacking her up and stretching her - before her run.

I can't do a solution right now because I plan to add two more dogs to the team.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am still shopping for an FJ. I plan to use it for birdhunting and have already test fit the two aluminum crates I haul my wirehair pointers in. The fit is great with access from rear for both crates doors. Plenty of room between the front seats and the crates. My dogs are around sixty pounds so I am sure you can make yours comfortable.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I can't wait to figure out what to do when I have four dogs back there. :) I think I am going to have to build a shelving system in what other owners of multiple dogs do that compete in agility, rally, obedience, hunting, tracking, racing, etc. The canopy and the Xpen will be going to the rack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts