Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried looking through some threads and just couldn't find an answer so hope I can get some help from you guys...

2007 FJ Cruiser AT

Blew my rear differential on the trail and managed to limp it home. Disconnected the rear drive shaft and drove home in H4, about a 50 mile drive.

Took the rear diff apart to reveal the damage and ordered the new fully assembled third member. Threw the new part on without any major issues, everything hook up smooth and buttoned it all up. Once I started it up, all the indicator lights turned on and stayed on (Brake, ABS,VSC,RR DIFF, A-TRAC, CHECK ENG) I mean just about every light on there turned on. Like I said, the install went smooth and as far as I know there rear diff was the only component that took any damage. Also, my rear differential is locked even when in 2WD. I make turns and i can here the tires skid as they're locking up. On top of that, my speedometer isn't reading. Doesn't budge at all when I drive.

Why is it not disengaging? Is it a computer problem? Or could I possibly be I did damage to the transfer case as well? Is it normal after a differential swap? Did I do something wrong during the install?

Looking for any advise, information, help....anything would be appreciated. Would like to see if anyone has had this issue and what they did to solve it before I take it over to Toyota.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I would assume you're e locker actuator is installed wrong. Is your red locker indication on as well?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Yes - it sounds like you somehow installed the 3rd member with the locker's locking sleeve in the wrong position.

Did you remove the locker assembly at any point during the 3rd member swap?
How thoroughly did you flush all the gear-tooth debris out of the differential housing before installing the new 3rd member?

To verify, remove the locker and slide the locking sleeve AWAY from the 3rd member, towards the driver's side rear wheel, and see if the lights turn off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes - it sounds like you somehow installed the 3rd member with the locker's locking sleeve in the wrong position.

Did you remove the locker assembly at any point during the 3rd member swap?
How thoroughly did you flush all the gear-tooth debris out of the differential housing before installing the new 3rd member?

To verify, remove the locker and slide the locking sleeve AWAY from the 3rd member, towards the driver's side rear wheel, and see if the lights turn off.
The red locker light is on. I did remove the locker during the swap, locker was engaged when it was removed and when it was install as per what I’ve read here.
I appreciate the info, Ill try removing it and moving it over manually like you said. Let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
The red locker light is on. I did remove the locker during the swap, locker was engaged when it was removed and when it was install as per what I’ve read here.
I appreciate the info, Ill try removing it and moving it over manually like you said. Let you know how it goes.
Physically removing the locker and manually sliding the sleeve to the unlocked position should unlock the diff and eliminate hopping and scuffing while turning, but won't affect the lights.

While disconnected, have someone turn the locker switch OFF, while you confirm that the locker actually shifts to the UNLOCKED position. Once it shifts, the lights should turn off, assuming there aren't any other issues going on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Physically removing the locker and manually sliding the sleeve to the unlocked position should unlock the diff and eliminate hopping and scuffing while turning, but won't affect the lights.

While disconnected, have someone turn the locker switch OFF, while you confirm that the locker actually shifts to the UNLOCKED position. Once it shifts, the lights should turn off, assuming there aren't any other issues going on.
Removed it, hooked it up and disengaged/engaged it to the right position. Did unlock the diff, light is off. So thats solved, hoping thats all it was. VSC,ENG,VSC TRAC, are still on, hoping thats a simple reset so gonna try to tackle that next but at least my diff is operational. Thanks for the help guys, keep you updated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it all worked out thanks for the help. Im assuming when I installed the locker I probably rotated it when I cleaned it. Threw it back on like you guys said and lights are all off and everything is working the way it should.
Really appreciate the help guys!

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Removed it, hooked it up and disengaged/engaged it to the right position. Did unlock the diff, light is off. So thats solved, hoping thats all it was. VSC,ENG,VSC TRAC, are still on, hoping thats a simple reset so gonna try to tackle that next but at least my diff is operational. Thanks for the help guys, keep you updated.
Check wiring to rear axle speed sensors, and the wiring and various hoses to the evap canister in case any of them were disturbed or damaged during the initial driveshaft disconnection or subsequent 3rd member swap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts