Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so, I have looked as much as I can, and doing searches with my phone sucks, so I am just going to post to answer some questions and clarify things so I do not burn my truck down.

I have a few questions. I am going to lay the foundation of what I have, my plan, then questions.

Note: I love pictures if possible :simmadown::flame:

Components

• Two OTRATTW switches.
  • Two BlitzPro 21S LED Bars (Consumption: 54 Watts, Voltage range: 12-24V each)
  • Four BlitzPro 6LZ LED Light Bars (Consumption: 6 Watts Voltage range: 9-32 each)
  • Spool of 14ga black/red electrical wire
  • Four Relays
  • Four Inline Fuses
  • Fuses o' plenty
Plan
Dual 21S on the roof on a single switch
Dual Amber 6LZ as fogs on a single switch
Dual 6LZ as reverse lights tied into reverse wiring

Questions
  1. Wire: What gauge wire should I use for the 21s? I know the 14ga is enough for the 6LZ's. I was thinking 14ga is fine for 21s?
  2. Fuses: What size fuses? I was told 20a for the 21S, but doesn't that exceed the 14 gauge? The charts I have show 15a for 14ga. Also: 5a for the 6LZ's?
  3. Connecting lamps: When connecting two lamps together, how should I do this? Can I just connect wires? Should I get a 3 way connector? Or connect at the relay?
  4. The inline fuse will always go closest to the battery, so 1 inline fuse per pair?
  5. Taping into reverse: How exactly do I go about wiring lights into my reverse wiring? I do not want them on a switch. Do they need a relay or inline fuse?
  6. Fuse box: Why does the BlitzPro schematic show me connecting to fuse box? Is this necessary? I am not looking to have power controlled by ignition.
  7. OTRATTW: So.. the schematics are interesting to look at. Where exactly do I run the wires to light them up? Fuse panel? Somewhere to splice into? Or will they light up upon install?
  8. Grounding: Some schematics show a ground coming from the battery to no where.. so I need to continuously do this? I thought it was already grounded...
  9. Connecting to battery: I already have PIAA's connected to the battery, and I will be attaching two more sets of lights. Can I keep stacking or is there a better way to connect multiple?
Schematics I am looking at

The Blitzpro schematic does not show with dual lights so I looked at this one:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
My quick answers in red.

Okay, so, I have looked as much as I can, and doing searches with my phone sucks, so I am just going to post to answer some questions and clarify things so I do not burn my truck down.

I have a few questions. I am going to lay the foundation of what I have, my plan, then questions.

Note: I love pictures if possible :simmadown::flame:

• Components
  • Two OTRATTW switches.
  • Two BlitzPro 21S LED Bars (Consumption: 54 Watts, Voltage range: 12-24V each)
  • Four BlitzPro 6LZ LED Light Bars (Consumption: 6 Watts Voltage range: 9-32 each)
  • Spool of 14ga black/red electrical wire
  • Four Relays
  • Four Inline Fuses
  • Fuses o' plenty
Plan
Dual 21S on the roof on a single switch
Dual Amber 6LZ as fogs on a single switch
Dual 6LZ as reverse lights tied into reverse wiring

Questions
  1. Wire: What gauge wire should I use for the 21s? I know the 14ga is enough for the 6LZ's. I was thinking 14ga is fine for 21s? 14 gauge will be fine. Total amp draw is less that 5 amp.
  2. Fuses: What size fuses? I was told 20a for the 21S, but doesn't that exceed the 14 gauge? The charts I have show 15a for 14ga. Also: 5a for the 6LZ's?
    15 Amp fuses will do fine. (or even 10 amp)
  3. Connecting lamps: When connecting two lamps together, how should I do this? Can I just connect wires? Should I get a 3 way connector? Or connect at the relay?

You can connect them together at the light bar and run a single wire down to the relay.
  4. The inline fuse will always go closest to the battery, so 1 inline fuse per pair?

One per pair will work.

5. Taping into reverse: How exactly do I go about wiring lights into my reverse wiring? I do not want them on a switch. Do they need a relay or inline fuse?

I would use the reverse light wiring to trigger a relay to control the lights. I am not sure where you can tap in, but there is a post here somewhere that talks about it. You can tap in near the jack compartment and mount the relay in there.
  6. Fuse box: Why does the BlitzPro schematic show me connecting to fuse box? Is this necessary? I am not looking to have power controlled by ignition.

It is not necessary to go to the fuse box. That is just a generic schematic.
  7. Grounding: Some schematics show a ground coming from the battery to no where.. so I need to continuously do this? I thought it was already grounded...
  8. Connecting to battery: I already have PIAA's connected to the battery, and I will be attaching two more sets of lights. Can I keep stacking or is there a better way to connect multiple?

You could, or you could go get a six circuit Blue Sea Box and mount under the hood.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Like said do not tap the reverse lights to power the new ones, that will draw too much power. Insted run a power wire to a realy and use the OEM reverse lights to "trigger" the new ones through the relay.

Copy/paste this into Google you will get all the threads about that subject from this site. site:fjcruiserforums.com tap reverse lights

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like said do not tap the reverse lights to power the new ones, that will draw too much power. Insted run a power wire to a realy and use the OEM reverse lights to "trigger" the new ones through the relay.

Copy/paste this into Google you will get all the threads about that subject from this site. site:fjcruiserforums.com tap reverse lights
Ya... not really seeing any exact places/pics where the wire is.

People said where it is located.. but I have no idea what wires I am looking at without some kind of pic or description to go off of.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
It looks like you'll be looking for a red wire with yellow stripe going to the back up bulb. You should be able to find that by opening up the jack compartment or removing that cover that you remove to change the bulbs. Pulling that interior trim may be the best for the wiring you have to do back there any way. If you want to tie in at Junction L21, you'll have to pull the side trim as it appears to be right over the wheel well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts