Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
07' FJ Cruiser 2nd Upgrade Package, TRD Exhaust, 16in TRD Wheels, Titanium
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So as the title says, I need help choosing some proper suspension for my 07' FJ.
I am currently on Bilstein 5100s in the front, 285/75R16 for tires and that is it.
Here is what I want from my new suspension setup.
  • Increased wheel travel (but maybe not long travel, depending on the price)
  • Comfortable ride on the highway and in town (Currently is my daily)
  • Ability to fit 35s (I know a BMC will be required or a BMR)
  • Quality construction (want to be able to do some heavy wheeling if needed and drive it back home)
  • Adjustability and external reservoirs (reservoirs aren't a must but would like the longevity)
  • Front coilovers, Rear shocks, and UCAs
I would like to keep the full kit under 4k. I have had my eye on Bilstein's new B8 8112 front coilovers and B8 5160 rear shocks but haven't seen many reviews on them. I've been told Dobinsons, Radflo, and Fox Shocks are good, but I would like to hear from first hand experience with those suspension setups. Other recommendations would be appreciated as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I offroad: Mainly trails and some hills (only have been to Bridgeport, Texas (as of now)

Trails/Locations: Bridgeport, Texas (can't do overnight trips yet...too busy)

Terrain: Mainly on small rock and dirt trails. Would like to be prepared for almost anything but there may be some rock crawling in my future. If there was a trail/event that I would like to prepare for, it would be the Toyota Jamboree. I'm still making decisions on the route I want to take my rig, but I know for certain I want to keep it as a daily and keep it IFS.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
The Bilstein 8112 would be an awesome setup. I don't have any experience with it however and to keep it under $4k would be tough. I would match the rear as well instead of going 5160 but that's just me. Combine them with an SPC UCA or another brand of your choice and you'd have a very nice setup.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Accutune could build you a custom set of coilovers with a UCA within your budget. No affiliation, just a happy customer that has owned most of the other brands coil-over jobbers before these.

They have some other configurable options on the site but this is what I'd be shootin for on your rig.

Rectangle Font Circle Magenta Screenshot

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Bilstein 8112 would be an awesome setup. I don't have any experience with it however and to keep it under $4k would be tough. I would match the rear as well instead of going 5160 but that's just me. Combine them with an SPC UCA or another brand of your choice and you'd have a very nice setup.

I have already priced it out with tax from Summit Racing. It’s almost 3600.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Accutune could build you a custom set of coilovers with a UCA within your budget. No affiliation, just a happy customer that has owned most of the other brands coil-over jobbers before these.

They have some other configurable options on the site but this is what I'd be shootin for on your rig.

View attachment 1189586
I will give them a call and see what my options are.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just jumping in here to say Im in the same boat as OP. Im currently running 5100's and want to start my overland build. Looking for similar specs as OP, but we're also towing a Taxa Cricket overland on long trips so adjustability in the rear would be great.

Watching this thread!

·
Registered
781 Posts
No one has said it, so here goes- Dude, you're asking a lot for $4000. You may have to extend the budget a bit...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No one has said it, so here goes- Dude, you're asking a lot for $4000. You may have to extend the budget a bit...
I understand that, so far it looks like Bilstein has what I want and I have priced everything out(which it fits my budget). Just need confirmation on a couple of things. I know some people mix and match their setups, but I’d like not to without doing a bunch of research.
Also I know I’m going to spend another 2k(at least) for 35s. I’m good with my 33s right now, but once I go to 35s I will be regearing and swapping my 8in rear for a 8.2. Maybe long travel depending on how things go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts